PDA

View Full Version : LED Front side ligth bulb install

disco-ian
03-02-2013, 12:07 PM
Hi all,
Just thought I would share my finding when replacing the front side light bulbs (although this might have already been convered, sorry if it has)

Along with this I have replaced my stop / tail lights (all 4) with LED bulbs as well.

OK so took the front grill out by popping the 6 little plastic tabs. Quite easy just get a small screw driver in there to push the little tabs dow (across on the middle top one)

Remove the headlights 3 x 10mm bolts per headlight assembly. Removing the actual headlight from the car was a little difficult. I ended up loosening the bumper bolts and wing bolts a little to make things easier.

I though it was going to be as simple as that. HOWEVER......

Being LED bulbs the polarity of power is important. It seems on my car the offside was wired correctly with the posative 12volt feed to the center pin on the sidelight bulb holder.

But.. on the nearside I had to cut the wires and re-join the other way round as from the factory it has been wired incorrectly with teh poastive to the holder of the bulb.

Many of you probably allready are aware of this. And if a Mod sees no point in this post and wishes to remove I will not take offence as I don't want to clutter the forum with repeat info.

elnevio
03-02-2013, 05:43 PM
Any pics? What do they compare like to the originals? Which bulbs did you use, as there are many out there, some better than others? :)

Nick Mann
03-02-2013, 06:14 PM
But.. on the nearside I had to cut the wires and re-join the other way round as from the factory it has been wired incorrectly with teh poastive to the holder of the bulb.

This has been documented before, but not for a while and it never hurts to mention things like this more than once!

And yeah, where's the pics? /ttiwwop

ex-derv
03-02-2013, 06:30 PM
get yer pics out for the lads

disco-ian
03-02-2013, 07:12 PM
Sorry guys had so much to do today didnt get time to take pictures.

The bulbs where bought on eBay (Linked below)

They give a white colour but I'm not fussed by that as I dont really drive with sidelights only it was just bugging me knowing that they were not working.

Interestingly the rear inner bulbs when fitted the wrong way (you can plug them in both ways which again makes no difference on a standard bulb but does on a LED) when you hit the brake pedal the inner brake bulbs didn't come on but the number plate lights did. The diode part of the bulb must have been helping to send power elswhere or something, very weird. But of course by simply flipping the bulbs around the issue was sorted.

I have just noticed when swapping the Legnum and Disco around (see my post in suspension as to why I', having to use the thirsty Disco this week) that with the car door open, key out, lights off foot on brake the sounder now goes off to warn you you have left your lights on. I'm not sure if it did this before or not. Can anyone confirm for me.

I will see if I can get a picture of the front with the sidelights on tomorrow. From the back you can not notice the difference with the LED bulbs fitted.

Front Sidelight LED Bulbs
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/300593408416?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Tail / Stop LED Bulbs (Don't forget you'll need 4 bubls and the listing is for 2)
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/230855741875?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

disco-ian
13-02-2013, 07:07 PM
Ok I know its been ages but here are a couple of pictures

GregA
13-02-2013, 07:36 PM
Nice! I don't suppose you have a before and after of the rears?

disco-ian
13-02-2013, 08:03 PM
You really can't tell the difference on the rears.

Sorry no before and after. Especially as three of the brake lights weren't working before. Lol

Sent from my Galaxy sIII

Ian