PDA

View Full Version : Too close for comfort... Near miss

Kenneth
20-01-2005, 10:37 PM
This is what happened to me yesterday.

I was driving along the motorway, it was pretty empty at the time. came around a bend (damn barriers mean you cant see dick) and all the traffic was queued.

SLAM on the brakes, feel that ABS... Changed lane to avoid rear-ending the car in my lane. The nasty thing is that the car in the next lane wasnt much further in. maybe 750mm difference (rear panel past rear doors). Changing lane gave me a further few mm to slow. If I was stopping normally, I probably woulnd get as close as I was to the car in front. I initially wondered If I had nudged someone and not felt it due to the stopping force.

I honestly didnt think I was going to stop in time. Got a bit of a dirty look from the guy in the lane I had vacated when we drew level.

You know what my initial thoughts were?
"Damn, I need to upgrade the tyres and brakes so I can stop faster"

Is it bad to be thinking this way?

I was however very impressed with my suspension... got bugger all dip in the nose. lol, probably made it look less like I was braking as hard as possible.
I have been less than impressed with the tyres a couple of times now... ah well, I guess they were adequate (just) this time.

Kieran
20-01-2005, 10:41 PM
Nah, I don't think you can be blamed for wanting to upgrade the brakes... These things happen.... One minute - Flowing motorway traffic, split second later and it's stationary!!! Which is very scary indeed... Especially in a car that (whether it's a VR-4, V6 or GLS) is somewhat under-braked...... :rolleyes5

Kenneth
20-01-2005, 10:47 PM
Well... er... you could say my speed was just a tad... "irresponsible" :|
Not EXCESSIVE though.

Kenneth
21-01-2005, 02:59 AM
I guess I posted in the wrong place :$