PDA

View Full Version : traction control removal

devilvr4
07-02-2013, 01:26 AM
hi guys

i was wondering if anyone new how to remove the (traction control from 2.5 v6 twin turbo 1997 vr4 galant )

is this and easy or hard job ..would this be a wise idea to remove

Nick Mann
07-02-2013, 09:32 AM
I understand that it is a pain in the ass to remove. Can't you just turn it off?

devilvr4
07-02-2013, 07:22 PM
how do you turn it off i carnt seem to find any switches to turn it off ??

do you know were to find the switch if there is any ??

I understand that it is a pain in the ass to remove. Can't you just turn it off?

elnevio
07-02-2013, 08:37 PM
There should be a TCL OFF switch by the driver's right knee.

But if yours is a manual, you won't have TCL anyway.

devilvr4
07-02-2013, 10:24 PM
yeah i have the manual not automatic ??

was going to say havent seen an switches for turning it on or off had the car a just over year so trying to find more out about it ??
so is there any way to ad switch into it or removing it ???

There should be a TCL OFF switch by the driver's right knee.

But if yours is a manual, you won't have TCL anyway.

low_vr4
07-02-2013, 10:28 PM
hi guys

i was wondering if anyone new how to remove the (traction control from 2.5 v6 twin turbo 1997 vr4 galant )

is this and easy or hard job ..would this be a wise idea to remove

There might be a fuse that can be removed?

Badger_01
07-02-2013, 10:32 PM
You dont have TCL if your car is a manual lol

devilvr4
07-02-2013, 10:40 PM
whats TCL is that only in automatics??

You dont have TCL if your car is a manual lol

devilvr4
07-02-2013, 10:41 PM
do you know were i might find the fuse as cannot find it only thing can find closish to it would be the ASB Fuse would that work ???

There might be a fuse that can be removed?

Davezj
07-02-2013, 10:44 PM
yeah i have the manual not automatic ??

was going to say havent seen an switches for turning it on or off had the car a just over year so trying to find more out about it ??
so is there any way to ad switch into it or removing it ???

if nev is right (i have not ever considered this so i don't know) and a PFL manual does not have TCL you don't need a switch to turn it off or a way to remove it as you don't have it.
so don't worry about it.
if nev thinks this is the case then i a sure it will be.

Davezj
07-02-2013, 10:45 PM
whats TCL is that only in automatics??

TCL=Traction ContoL

devilvr4
07-02-2013, 10:50 PM
ok then cheers guys ...
whats the AYC for then.???

if nev is right (i have not ever considered this so i don't know) and a PFL manual does not have TCL you don't need a switch to turn it off or a way to remove it as you don't have it.
so don't worry about it.
if nev thinks this is the case then i a sure it will be.

Nick Mann
07-02-2013, 11:02 PM
AYC moves power around between rear wheels to help the car corner on the right line. Drive into a corner at medium speed, then plant your foot on the accelerator. AYC bars should light up and the car should accelerate, but you shouldn't have to fight the steering wheel, it should just power through the corner.

devilvr4
07-02-2013, 11:29 PM
ahh that makes sence ..cheers
what happens when it makes grinding/scretching noises when the bars light up ...what could be the problem when it does that ??

AYC moves power around between rear wheels to help the car corner on the right line. Drive into a corner at medium speed, then plant your foot on the accelerator. AYC bars should light up and the car should accelerate, but you shouldn't have to fight the steering wheel, it should just power through the corner.

Nick Mann
07-02-2013, 11:32 PM
Often it means the ayc fluid in the diff is knackered - there are clutches in there to allow the torque transfer. The clutches start making a bad noise if the fluid is old. I'd change the fluid asap as the noise almost certainly means you are wearing it all out faster than you should be.

Subaru ETA
07-02-2013, 11:33 PM
AYC oil needs changing. Take it to a dealer and get them to do it

c0xxy
07-02-2013, 11:36 PM
AYC oil needs changing. Take it to a dealer and get them to do it

/haz

devilvr4
07-02-2013, 11:38 PM
cheers guys

what could happen if left to long could that do much damage ??

Often it means the ayc fluid in the diff is knackered - there are clutches in there to allow the torque transfer. The clutches start making a bad noise if the fluid is old. I'd change the fluid asap as the noise almost certainly means you are wearing it all out faster than you should be.

GalantOnly
07-02-2013, 11:50 PM
/popcorn

Davezj
08-02-2013, 12:08 AM
cheers guys

what could happen if left to long could that do much damage ??
if you just leave it will trash the clutches and you will have to replace the diff.

scott.mohekey
08-02-2013, 02:07 AM
If you're lucky.. it'll turn into an LSD diff.

elnevio
08-02-2013, 10:34 AM
Driving it will be fine, but every time you hear the noise, the wear is getting worse. If you don't activate the AYC (i.e. taking it steady), nothing will deteriorate.

Davezj
08-02-2013, 02:20 PM
As nev said the clutch packs are only use when the AYC is active, e.g. when you have 1 -3 green AYC bars on the dash flashing up.

My first VR4 rear diff made this grinding noise at one point and i just changed the oil in the clutch pack side of the diff and the noise went away and the diff/AYC work perfectly after that.

however once i got the info/fix for the grinding noise, i changed the oil the next day, my diff only made the grinding noise twice i think, so if you have been running with the grinding for long periods then the oil change might not fix it.
just change the oil as soon as possible you need less than 1L of a SPIII compliant ATF.

scott.mohekey
08-02-2013, 07:08 PM
It's not as simple as just changing the oil. You need to actuate the solenoid in the correct manner to get ALL of the old oil out. Unless you have the gear needed to do this, you're better off getting a mitsi dealer to do it.

devilvr4
08-02-2013, 07:40 PM
thanks for all the info guys think i might just bite the bullet and take it to mitsi dealer for them to look into it and fix the problem sounds like be easier thing to do ...

As nev said the clutch packs are only use when the AYC is active, e.g. when you have 1 -3 green AYC bars on the dash flashing up.

My first VR4 rear diff made this grinding noise at one point and i just changed the oil in the clutch pack side of the diff and the noise went away and the diff/AYC work perfectly after that.

however once i got the info/fix for the grinding noise, i changed the oil the next day, my diff only made the grinding noise twice i think, so if you have been running with the grinding for long periods then the oil change might not fix it.
just change the oil as soon as possible you need less than 1L of a SPIII compliant ATF.

Davezj
08-02-2013, 09:21 PM
i agree with scott above yo will need to do a full service on the diff soon and that is not a straight forward thing changing the AYC pressure fluid in the AYC pump itself but that is a separate sytem to the clutch pack,
but to get rid of the grinding noise you just need to do the clutch pack oil as soon as possible, or ensure you don't activate the AYC in any remotely hard cornering.
you can do a full service on the rear diff and AYC system at a later date, the important bit for now is the clutch packs. and all you need for that is a socket set and big automotive syringe to put the new ATF back in the clutch pack fill hole.
there is a guide in the library on how to do it.

jiBYo
28-12-2014, 01:41 PM
I have a 98 Galant Tiptronic Vr4, I can not find a traction control switch, is it standard and where should it be located?

elnevio
28-12-2014, 02:21 PM
I have a 98 Galant Tiptronic Vr4, I can not find a traction control switch, is it standard and where should it be located?

Facelift VR-4s did not come with traction control, so it isn't there to turn off! If you had it, the switch would be located on the small three-switch panel above the drivers right knee. :)