PDA

View Full Version : EVENT Confirmed - Easter Weekend Run From Wellington with Overnight Stay in Whangamomona

VR4 MAD
13-02-2013, 12:27 PM
At the last Wellington Mini Meet a suggestion was made that we should have another Club run together to 'somewhere', much like we have done a couple of times in the past............... /rally

But where to go?................... well 'Whangamomona' is somewhere and it's also in the middle of nowhere. :inquisiti

Whangamomona is located, for those that have no idea, approximately between Wanganui and New Plymouth, up the 'Forgotten World Highway', otherwise known as State Highway 43. Google 'Streetview' seems to indicate most, if not all of SH43 is now sealed so people needn't worry on that account.

At this stage we are looking for EOI from people interested in going for a little sojourn into the 'back of beyond' for a drive like no other................ :thinking:

The suggested preliminary itinerary is to leave Wellington Saturday morning 30th March (Easter Saturday), drive up to Wanganui for lunch and top up fuel, then on to overnight at the Whangamomona Hotel. And next day to head north to Ohura and loop back to Taumarunui, and maybe back down SH4 to Wanganui and on home. This return route is still to be finalised, and may change

The drive will be a 'cruise', not a race with partners welcome and encouraged to attend.

The cost of the Hotel room is $65 per person, twin share. Now this place is popular with car clubs and bike clubs on club trips through this area, so we need to move quickly if we are to be able to get rooms there. As of today (Wednesday 13/02/2013), there are 6 rooms still available for Saturday 30th March. We will need to book rooms by early next week at the latest I suggest and to do that a $35.00 per person deposit will need to accompany each booking made.

More detailed information about route and distances etc will follow soon...............

So who's up for a 'good drive' then.......... ??????

/toycar

pbaron
13-02-2013, 08:12 PM
Count me in on this thanks Wynn.

Kenneth
13-02-2013, 08:42 PM
I'll have to ask my wife, am keen though :)

CANDEE
13-02-2013, 11:48 PM
As you know Ness and I are in. :) I know that there are a few jobs that need to be done on cars beforehand including making one legal again...

Ken, will be good to see you there and make sure if you come that you bring Jo with you. :)

kNuTz
14-02-2013, 12:07 AM
I is keen too...just need to work some stuffs out first (wife/kids & money) before I can commit :)
Should get that all worked out tonight and post up later.

Bender
14-02-2013, 08:07 AM
Count me in :-)

kNuTz
14-02-2013, 08:52 AM
Im in! :)

CANDEE
14-02-2013, 10:19 AM
Awesome re Ray & Ben. :)

Ray, are you bringing the other half?

kNuTz
14-02-2013, 07:33 PM
Awesome re Ray & Ben. :)

Ray, are you bringing the other half?

It depends if my parents can look after the kids, too young to enjoy the trip yet.

VR4 MAD
17-02-2013, 07:29 AM
Right everyone. Thanks for the interest in the event from those who have indicated they would enjoy a drive to places off the main roads. Especially to those from up north who I didn't expect to be interested or want to join us.

Here are a couple of maps showing the route up from Wellington and a proposed return route which may change based on what people want to do on the day.

The route up is 372km and about 4hr 54m driving without stops. See map below:

Return route is slightly longer at 439km and about 5hr 25m or so driving, again minus stops back to Welington. See below:

So here's where we are at.

Last Wednesday there were still 12 places available for the Saturday night 30th March and we have had interest from what might be 9 people if partners do come along.

I have just spoken with Penny at the Hotel, booked my own accommodation and there are only a further 7 places available now, so get in quickly. Having said that she is expecting you guys to be in touch soonish so we are expected but until the deposits are paid the rooms could go to anyone else. The next 7 club people to ring and book get the rooms. Just say you are part the 'Club VR4' group. The Hotel number is: 06 762 5823 and ask for Penny.

Below is a link to the terms and conditions for bookings at the Whangamomona Hotel, just so people are clear about what is required. Everyone should book there own accommodation and pay the $35.00 per person deposit to secure their room.
Here (http://www.whangamomonahotel.co.nz/Reservation%20policy.html) is a link to the Hotels booking terms and conditions. People, please read them, though there's nothing sinister ................ :rulez:

So get moving people so you don't miss out........................ :party:

Would people please post in here when they have booked so we all can see who is and isn't going.

/toycar

CANDEE
17-02-2013, 07:41 AM
Ive booked for Ness and I. :)

Bender
17-02-2013, 08:45 AM
I'm booked

Maybe or maybe not be in a vr4 as mine might be sold.

VR4 MAD
17-02-2013, 10:48 PM
:bump: BUMP.................... :bump:

Come on people................ chop chop. Time is a wasting. Get those bookings underway people.

/toycar

Kenneth
17-02-2013, 10:51 PM
Booked for two.

So who is hosting us northerners in Wellington on the Friday night? ;)

Kenneth
17-02-2013, 10:58 PM
Oh, also something worth telling you is that Penny was thoroughly chuffed that so far we have all introduced ourselves with just first names in a really relaxed manner :)

So first impressions are :thumbsup:

Kenneth
17-02-2013, 11:57 PM
Whangamomona is located, for those that have no idea, approximately between Wanganui and New Plymouth, up the 'Forgotten World Highway', otherwise known as State Highway 43. Google 'Streetview' seems to indicate most, if not all of SH43 is now sealed so people needn't worry on that account.

Is there any way to tell how old the street view images are? I just spoke to Jo and she went that way in the latter half of last year and says the road was pretty bad then. She was in a rental and the thought of going over that in my car doesn't appeal to her one bit :(

I need an alignment anyway, so the thought that comes to mind is whether I would need to go back to standard suspension.

VR4 MAD
18-02-2013, 04:02 AM
Mmmmmmmmmmmm

Thanks for that info Kenneth.

The StreetView images are dated February 2010.

Now I've not driven this road for some 25 odd years, and believe me, way back then it was, in parts, literally a goat track with grass growing in the middle strip of the road. Definately not for the faint hearted or those with a lowered car. But I'm only suggesting this road for our trip, because Google StreetView appears to show that most (if not all) is now sealed. Yes it will be a narrow, twisty Class II road and the tunnels are still unlined I believe (yes unlined tunnels) but these should not be too much of an issue.

Kenneth, could you get Jo to be more detailed about which bits she thought might be a problem. The run up to Whangamomona from the south isn't, from memory, anywhere near as bad as the section North from there to Ohura and beyond.

I'm going to revisit StreetView again and check a little more closely and post up some screen shoots of what it shows to help allay any concerns.

Is there any way to tell how old the street view images are? I just spoke to Jo and she went that way in the latter half of last year and says the road was pretty bad then. She was in a rental and the thought of going over that in my car doesn't appeal to her one bit :(

I need an alignment anyway, so the thought that comes to mind is whether I would need to go back to standard suspension.

Bender
18-02-2013, 08:24 AM
Haha look like i will have fun drive to whangamomona. I will meet everyone at the hotel and will be coming sh43.

VR4 MAD
18-02-2013, 09:38 AM
I wouldn't be too worried. I've just had a closer look at the roads in Googe StreetView again and there appears to be one 15km stretch of grave through the Tangarakau Scenic Reserve which is North of Whangamomona and will be on your route down to meet us and on our route out on the Sunday. It looks a little narrow but is smooth gravel through a gorge. See the pictures below.

60188 60189

And the Whangamomona main street:

Hope that helps.

/toycar

Haha look like i will have fun drive to whangamomona. I will meet everyone at the hotel and will be coming sh43.

CANDEE
18-02-2013, 09:47 AM
Awwww carp you know what my car and gravel mean..... lol

Bender
18-02-2013, 09:51 AM
Cheers for that Wynn. Did have look on Google maps before and got abit of idea what the road is like and i will note of all the pole holes ect(if is any) :-)

VR4 MAD
18-02-2013, 10:34 AM
There's nothing "fishy" about gravel roads unless your driving them wrong J.

There, that will teach you for editing my post for "spelling" ............... LOL.
Actually thanks for proof reading the post. Ta.

The photos show the road is well swept and it may well be sealed by now anyway.

QUOTE=CANDEE;740931]Awwww carp you know what my car and gravel mean..... lol[/QUOTE]

Kenneth
18-02-2013, 07:59 PM
Jo reckons the road is bad between Taumarunui and Whangamomona. She didn't get any more specific than that. I think she said that there is a LOT of gravel though, I will have to ask again how long she was driving on gravel, but I think it was quite a while.

I don't mind the gravel personally... lol

VR4 MAD
18-02-2013, 08:44 PM
Thanks for that clarification Kenneth.

Last night I went back through the route, especially the section north of Whangamomona, to check for gravel etc. In the attached picture below, there is a 15km stretch of gravel ringed in green on the photo. Whangamomona is indicated by the blue arrow and from section ringed in red from the junction (red arrow) through to Taumanunui there is no gravel.

So all in all, I'm not sure where Jo encountered the gravel or on which road she traveled.

/toycar.

Jo reckons the road is bad between Taumarunui and Whangamomona. She didn't get any more specific than that. I think she said that there is a LOT of gravel though, I will have to ask again how long she was driving on gravel, but I think it was quite a while.

I don't mind the gravel personally... lol

Kenneth
18-02-2013, 10:02 PM
I'll quiz Jo again. I have looked too and see what you mean. It could be that bit you circled. 15km on gravel can seem like quite a way, especially when conditions are less than ideal (as they were when Jo did the trip)

Still might go back to standard suspension for this trip though.

CANDEE
19-02-2013, 02:23 AM
Ken, the gravel patch cant be any worse than going through Dagg's road the week after the Rally of Wairarapa in the wet...

That reminds me I need to get my exhaust lifted as it seems to be missing a hanger...

pbaron
19-02-2013, 06:26 AM
Ok, I am booked in for the night.

pbaron
19-02-2013, 06:27 AM
If you don't get a better offer I can put the two of you up in the lounge on an air mattress Friday night.

Cheers

Booked for two.

So who is hosting us northerners in Wellington on the Friday night? ;)

CANDEE
19-02-2013, 08:58 AM
Something more to ponder on....

We should be able to get from Melling/Avalon Park to Taumarunui on one tank.

The first one will be 459km as per this:

Then we making our way down state highway 4 to Whanganui and back to Wellington will be 353km as per this route:

So should only be 2 tanks for the whole run. :) Im picking there will be a few fuel lights on during the last bit of the run into Taumarunui... lol

Bearing in mind, there are NO fuel stations along the Lost Highway, a tin/container with some petrol in it might be a safety measure. Or topping up in Whanganui could be a another suggestion. :)

And here is a link to the Taranaki blurb about the Highway:

http://www.taranaki.info/admin/data/visit/vt0172_a4_map___fwh.pdf

Bender
20-02-2013, 06:43 AM
Well good news i will be coming down in the vr4, didn't have the heart to sell her :-)

CANDEE
20-02-2013, 07:59 AM
Well good news i will be coming down in the vr4, didn't have the heart to sell her :-)
Excellent news Ben. :)

kNuTz
20-02-2013, 07:49 PM
Unfortunately due to unexpected expenses I will no longer be able to attend this run :furious4:
Only two more years of one income, then I wont have this problem!

CANDEE
20-02-2013, 07:58 PM
Unfortunately due to unexpected expenses I will no longer be able to attend this run :furious4:
Only two more years of one income, then I wont have this problem!
I know how you feel with the unexpected expenses there Ray, if this had been late last year I would be in the same boat... :(

Will have to have a catch up before/after the meet. :)

kNuTz
20-02-2013, 09:09 PM
Will have to have a catch up before/after the meet. :)

Yup, at least the 'after' part :)

Bender
11-03-2013, 08:01 AM
Yes only few weeks to go this. Can't wait :-)

Does anyone have time or around what time that you guys will arrive at the hotel?

CANDEE
12-03-2013, 08:52 AM
Yes only few weeks to go this. Can't wait :-)

Does anyone have time or around what time that you guys will arrive at the hotel?
Ben, Ill confirm this with Wynne, but I think sometime about 4-5 pm. We will be stopping for lunch in Whanganui and heading up from there. :)

Bender
12-03-2013, 09:20 AM
Cheers Jeremy.

Might see how things go and might drive down to Wanganui and meet up with you guys here :-)

Kenneth
12-03-2013, 08:28 PM
Meet place in Wellington? It looks like Jo and I will get a hotel for the Friday night and meet up for the cruise.

CANDEE
12-03-2013, 10:30 PM
Meet place in Wellington? It looks like Jo and I will get a hotel for the Friday night and meet up for the cruise.
Hey Ken,

We will be meeting at Avalon Park(where the red pin is in the below pic).

The start point on that plot is the local BP 98 station(we only seem to have 1 in the hutt these days). :)

Im sure that one of us will be able to meet you at the BP and head to Avalon as a convoy if need be. :)

Kenneth
13-03-2013, 03:09 AM
Thanks Jeremy. Could be nice to meet someone there so I don't have to worry about getting lost...

Now to find a hotel...

CANDEE
13-03-2013, 04:12 AM
Have a look here Kenneth:

http://www.wotif.com/search/Advanced?country=NZ&region=3736&startDay=2013-03-29&adults=2&children=0&child1Age=1&child2Age=1&child3Age=1&child4Age=1&child5Age=1&child6Age=1&child7Age=1&child8Age=1&page=2&viewType=all

There are a 4 or 5 within 10 mins drive of central Lower Hutt. :) I think they are all of a similar quality too.

CANDEE
14-03-2013, 10:21 AM
There is a slight amendment to the route...

For those running 98 ie Wynne, Kenneth & I, we will need to stop at BP Mana rather than Melling, as they have decided to stop selling 98, as Wynne found out tonight.
Kenneth, if you havent booked yet it might be an idea to find something in the Mana/Plimmerton/Paremata area. Let me if need some help. :)

Kenneth
14-03-2013, 07:33 PM
Thanks Jeremy. It looks like we will be staying at the Bay Plaza Hotel, 40-44 Oriental Parade, Wellington, NZ

It looks a bit out of the way, but it shouldn't be too big a deal... How bad can traffic be on a public holiday morning? :P

Tell me where to meet up and I'll be there :)

CANDEE
14-03-2013, 08:28 PM
Its basically central city Ken. :)

Its about 26km or 25 mins from there to BP Mana.

Ill have a discussion with Wynne and work out a plan. :)

Bender
18-03-2013, 01:14 AM
I will drive down to Wanganui on the Saturday

So if someone could let me know time you guys might get to Wanganui and plan somewhere to meet and I will pm someone my number.

CANDEE
20-03-2013, 09:38 AM
Ben, we will most likely be in Wanganui about 1230-1 depending on the traffic etc.

We will be taking our time as we dont want to get to the hotel too early. :)

Bender
20-03-2013, 07:24 PM
Cheers Jeremy, I plan on leaving Tauranga around 830ish and will take around good 4 hours so I should get here around the same time.

Should also note since it be a long weekend, They will that stupid 4kms law in place.

Will pm you my number Jeremy.

Kenneth
23-03-2013, 06:07 AM
Jeremy, do you still have my mobile number?

Fingers crossed there are no dramas with my WOF next week. Will take it in Monday just in case :)

CANDEE
23-03-2013, 10:21 AM
Ken, that would be a negative... Ill pm you mine and just let me know yours in return. :)

I just need to get my undertray back on and sort out my intake setup..... either have to work out an alternate feed for my factory airbox or run a pod.... Was going to run a pod on an intake pipe but one of the bits I was waiting on still hasnt left the us.. :(

Kenneth
24-03-2013, 08:41 PM
Sent you a text message, let me know if you didn't get it.

Sailed through WOF this morning :)

dixon8
24-03-2013, 10:57 PM
Tell me where to meet up and I'll be there :)

hi, what time approx are you arriving into wgtn? could meet up with other locals maybe if you here early ................:)

Kenneth
25-03-2013, 12:25 AM
Depends really, but I would think around 5pm. It all depends on what time we end up leaving home and how many stops we make :)

Kenneth
27-03-2013, 08:03 PM
Excuse me if I have missed something but I can't find a confirmed meet time Saturday morning...

CANDEE
28-03-2013, 12:40 AM
Excuse me if I have missed something but I can't find a confirmed meet time Saturday morning...
Being worked on Ken. :) Ill update this later on, once this all has been sorted out. :)

dixon8
28-03-2013, 01:53 AM
hi All if anyones keen to meet up (before your trip away) on Friday afternoon-evening, I am suggesting maybe coming around for a BBQ..........................????????????????????? ?

Ryan
28-03-2013, 03:52 AM
I am heading to New Plymouth tomorrow and will be driving through Wanganui sometime on the Saturday. It'd be nice if I could swing through as everyone's there :)

CANDEE
28-03-2013, 11:00 AM
Ok heres a loose timetable of events. :)

We will aim to get to BP Mana at 71 Mana Esplanade at 9:30 on sat morning. http://maps.google.co.nz/maps?hl=en&gl=nz&daddr=71+Mana+Esplanade,+Mana+5026&panel=1&f=d&fb=1&dirflg=d&geocode=0,-41.096086,174.868918&cid=0,0,8165284419200381285&hq=bp&hnear=0x6d3f542fe95a9be3:0x500ef6143a2dd40,Mana,+P orirua

We will then aim to leave at 10am, to head up to Wanganui to our lunch stop.

With a 2 1/2 hour travel time, we should be in Wanganui by 1230-1300. I believe that Ben will meet us there and possibly Ryan will make an appearance too. :)

After lunch we have another approx 2 1/2 hour trip up sh 3 to Stratford and onto 43 to Whangamonona, for our overnight stop at the famous Whangamonona Hotel.

In the morning we have a 1 1/2 hour run up to Tauramunui for a fuel stop before heading back to Wanaganui(another 2 hours). Im not sure when Ken, Joanne and Ben will peal off but maybe Tauramunui?

After having lunch in Wanganui we will then head back down to Wellington, with a stop in Otaki to pick up our new family member.

We will then head home to the valley.

Sound alright for everyone? :)

J

VR4 MAD
28-03-2013, 11:41 AM
Seems like what we have discussed previously..................

What do people think about Dixon's suggestion for tomorrow afternoon/evening BBQ ???

Kenneth may well be tired from the trip down so not sure if he and Jo will be feeling up to coming along though.

Cheers for the suggestion............

/toycar

Kenneth
28-03-2013, 07:44 PM
Where is Dixon's place? Our hotel is on Oriental Parade and to be honest, we probably won't want to go far once we arrive in Wellington.

We will probably be leaving here in about an hour, so after that the only way to contact us will be via mobile (Jeremy has my number)

Bender
28-03-2013, 08:49 PM
Yes I will meet everyone in Wanganui. I should be here around 1230ish. Will text Jermery once I'm here. Also I will be needing to refuel before we leave. BP on Victoria Ave look like to be only one sells 98.

I will leave you guys when we get to trun off for sh41.

VR4 MAD
28-03-2013, 09:09 PM
Morning Kenneth.

Dixons place is in Johnsonville which is about maybe 15km from where you are staying.

Just txt Jeremy when you get here and we'll go from there.

Have a safe trip down.

/toycar

Where is Dixon's place? Our hotel is on Oriental Parade and to be honest, we probably won't want to go far once we arrive in Wellington.

We will probably be leaving here in about an hour, so after that the only way to contact us will be via mobile (Jeremy has my number)

Ryan
29-03-2013, 10:15 PM
Apologies guys, misread the days. We will be passing through Wanganui Sunday on our way to Tongariro so won't see you guys. Next time though! Have a good one :thumbsup:

Ryan
31-03-2013, 04:16 AM
Heh, I drove past Wynn and another Galant when making my way to Waiouru - would have stopped to chat but was going the other direction :P

Bender
31-03-2013, 06:06 AM
Thanks for the great weekend, had a great time and was awesome to meet everyone. Can't wait for next one :-)

VR4 MAD
31-03-2013, 09:57 AM
Hi Ryan, we are sorry to have missed you.................. and sorry to say didn't actually see your car. Where did you spot us?

There should have been three of us travelling a loose convoy. My car which you know, a black pre-facelift Galant with an Evo rear wing like mine which was Pierre's car and Jeremy's silver Galant somewhere there abouts too................. :)

Heh, I drove past Wynn and another Galant when making my way to Waiouru - would have stopped to chat but was going the other direction :P

Hey Ben, great to meet you too and glad you've made it home safely.

Very pleased to hear you and the others all enjoyed yourselves. The roads were just so cool and fun to drive WE ARE GOING TO HAVE TO DO THIS AGAIN................... and soon.

Photos to follow.................... after some sleep........... :)

/toycar

Thanks for the great weekend, had a great time and was awesome to meet everyone. Can't wait for next one :-)

VR4 MAD
31-03-2013, 10:20 AM
Here's a small taster of photos.................. :)

Here's the Whangamomona Hotel looking from the "Main Street".............. /Devil5

And the motley CVR4 crew outside the hotel ............. left to right: Jeremy and partner Nessie, me and my Jo, Pierre, Ben, Kenneth and his partner Jo.

And our cars parked around the side. That's Pierre and my Jo looking out the upstairs windows from our rooms.

Cars are, from left to right: Pierre's, mine, Kenneth's, Ben's Legnum and Jeremy's sister car to mine............. :)

/toycar

Kenneth
31-03-2013, 09:05 PM
Thanks for the great weekend, great to meet everyone again and Ben for the first time :)

Thoroughly enjoyed ourselves and will definitely be up for the next one.

Jo took plenty of pictures on the move, so will need to sort them a bit and then will post them up.

Took a detour home and did another 150km of windy back roads which were not quite as demanding as the forgotten highway, but still great fun!

Kenneth
31-03-2013, 11:26 PM
Pictures :)

CANDEE
31-03-2013, 11:30 PM
Thanks to everyone for the great weekend. :) The roads were great and the company better. :)

We also had a good trip back with our new family member on the way home too.

Everyone meet Nellie:

Ness has photos on facebook that ill pinch and add here. :)

Kenneth
31-03-2013, 11:54 PM
More pictures

Kenneth
31-03-2013, 11:57 PM
If anyone has any issues with pictures of their car, let me know and I'll change or delete it.

Subaru ETA
01-04-2013, 02:34 AM
I remember a time when everyone had legnums in the club :p

marvelman156
01-04-2013, 08:09 AM
Awesome photos /Camera2:2thumbsup

Ryan
01-04-2013, 07:23 PM
Hey Wynn, it was on SH4 between Raetihi and Wanganui, I was in a black Galant - I'm sure someone (Pierre?) waved at me when I went past... I did hoot in return. I can't remember seeing Jeremy's car though.

Hi Ryan, we are sorry to have missed you.................. and sorry to say didn't actually see your car. Where did you spot us?

There should have been three of us travelling a loose convoy. My car which you know, a black pre-facelift Galant with an Evo rear wing like mine which was Pierre's car and Jeremy's silver Galant somewhere there abouts too................. :)

WOODY72
01-04-2013, 08:36 PM
Looks like you had a great weekend chaps, great pics and well done. /Steeringw

dixon8
01-04-2014, 09:24 AM
looking forward to the next one................. :)

Bender
01-04-2014, 09:28 AM
looking forward to the next one................. :)

Next one? When? :) :D

dixon8
08-04-2014, 08:05 AM
Next one? When? :) :D

yes when is the next one, that's the BIG question /bananaroc

i'm keen for another run soon, later this year????

Bender
08-04-2014, 09:04 AM
yes when is the next one, that's the BIG question /bananaroc

i'm keen for another run soon, later this year????

I'm super keen for a weekend like this, Would be keen on a other Whangamomona trip. :)