PDA

View Full Version : Standard ride height??

disco-ian
13-02-2013, 07:04 PM
Hi All,
OK so I have now fitted the new lateral arm and reset the ride hieght on the front back to standard. Remember the guy who had this car before me decided to lower it by 1" to level the look of the car.

Well I can see why he did this (See below). Now before any one says it.... Yes I am aware that I have a LPG tank in the boot as well however the guy who had this car before me didn't.

So my question is this? Does anyone know what the standard ride hieght of a VR4 Legnum is. I believe these are normally measured from the wheel / hub center to the arch lip as this does not change if you have a different wheel size fitted.

Do you think maybe the distance on the rear shock as shown in the picture has increased??

Davezj
13-02-2013, 11:34 PM
i think normal ride height is about 3 fingers verically from the top of the tyre to the wheel arch at the front.

when you changed the front straight arms, i hope you remebered leave the inside bolt loose until the car is back on the ground, then tighten it up fully, to set the tention on the inside bush correctly.
if you tighten the inside bolt fully then drop the car the bush gets twisted massively and has far to much tension put on it and you can trash the inner bush in a very short time.
this could be effecting the ride height as well, due to the extra force the bush is applying to the suspension, it is pushng the wheel down with more force than it should be.

it is easy to rectify, just undo the bolt with the car on the gound and nip it back up this should release the tension in the bush and set it corresctly.
if you do not have enough room under the car to undo the insde bolt while the car is on the ground, you can jack the car up put the front wheel on concreate blocks, to raise the car up abit while keeping the weoght of the car on the wheels.
just make sure the blocmks are very dense concreate and not likely to crumble while you are under the car.

disco-ian
14-02-2013, 06:01 AM
Hi Dave,
Yep all done up correctly.

The back is just so low. Maybe the rear srings are bad???

Davezj
14-02-2013, 09:05 AM
No the rear springs always look low.
I think the rear normally sit at about 2 fingers, it does not sound much of a difference but when you look at it is very noticable.
But as you have said you have an extra fuel tank in the rear which weighs a lot plus the weight of the extra LPG. Do you have a full petrol tank as well.
That will be like having a small someone sat in the boot of the car all the time. If LPG weighs the same as petrol then 60L is 45kg and the tank itself weighs about 20-30kg. Plus ray other audio equipment and if you are anything like me a load of tools as well.

elnevio
14-02-2013, 10:32 AM
I've just been scraping the exhaust on everything this morning. Everybody in the car, plus all my tools AND workgear crammed into the boot (including a complete set of suspension!), and also the trailer on which probably had a nose weight of about 50kg too. And a full tank of petrol!! :D It's the bit of the exhaust the goes under the rear diff that keeps catching. And I'm thinking of lowering it too - am I mad! :rolleyes4

disco-ian
14-02-2013, 07:07 PM
Hi Dave,
No only ever keep 1/4 a tank of petrol as I hardly ever use it and don't want to much v power sat there doing nothing. LPG weighs approx 2 litres to 1 kilo, but yes the tanks are hevy. Nothing else in the boot aprt from the space saver spare wheel.

However as previously stated the guy before me didn't have LPG and he noticed it was out by a long way which is why he lowered the front by over an inch to make the car look level. Obviously as per my previouse thread in here I believe this to be the reason for advers inner tyre where which is why I have put the shocks back to stock height.

I can only just get two fingers between my rear tyres and arch so thats probably about right with the LPG tank in there.

However on the front I can easily get 4 fingures between the tyre and the arch. You do have to bear in mind here that I'm a skinny bugger so my fingures might be smaller than others :-)

Would anyone mind measuring there standard ride hieghts front and rear for me. Say from the wheels ceter to the arch (measring vertcally) Measured this may it doesn't matter what wheel / tyre setup you have.

adaxo
14-02-2013, 07:16 PM
if you are anything like me a load of tools as well.

And two, yes TWO, spare diffs, just in case :laugh:

They (Galant/Legnum estate) always on original suspension setup look a bit lower at the back or too high at the front, depends how you look at it. So your Ian looks about right.

I can only just get two fingers between my rear tyres and arch so thats probably about right with the LPG tank in there.

However on the front I can easily get 4 fingures between the tyre and the arch. You do have to bear in mind here that I'm a skinny bugger so my fingures might be smaller than others :-)

So, cesarean cut at the back then /haz

Wodjno
14-02-2013, 08:22 PM
Hi Dave,
No only ever keep 1/4 a tank of petrol as I hardly ever use it and don't want to much v power sat there doing nothing. LPG weighs approx 2 litres to 1 kilo, but yes the tanks are hevy. Nothing else in the boot aprt from the space saver spare wheel.

However as previously stated the guy before me didn't have LPG and he noticed it was out by a long way which is why he lowered the front by over an inch to make the car look level. Obviously as per my previouse thread in here I believe this to be the reason for advers inner tyre where which is why I have put the shocks back to stock height.

Would anyone mind measuring there standard ride hieghts front and rear for me. Say from the wheels ceter to the arch (measring vertcally) Measured this may it doesn't matter what wheel / tyre setup you have.

All the standard PFL Leggys i've had, have been 4 fingers front and 3 rear. Thats from top of tyre to under arch. My fingers are Big, but not sausage like :D

Approx 80mm front/60mm rear

disco-ian
15-02-2013, 09:00 PM
Cool. Cheers mate