PDA

View Full Version : removing airbags

sonicsoundzdj
02-03-2013, 01:52 PM
As im sure youve seen, im breaking one of my galants. At some point soon im going to need to remove the dash. Whats the correct way to take the dash and steering wheel off without getting a face full of airbag?

GalantOnly
02-03-2013, 02:45 PM
Disonnect the battery and wait for a minutte before you disconnecting the airbag

sonicsoundzdj
02-03-2013, 05:25 PM
That simple? Fair enought then. Cheers!

Nick Mann
02-03-2013, 06:07 PM
Yes, that simple!

GalantOnly
03-03-2013, 05:19 AM
Personally, I think that it's quite complicated, because I normally have no joy of losing the adaptation values of the INVEC. That's why I never do that. I just disconnect it...:)

Davezj
03-03-2013, 11:28 AM
The steering wheel is very simple,
After you diconnect the battery, and leave it for a few minutes.
remove the two caps on the steering wheel behind the spokes and there are some torx bolts up inside the steering wheel I think they are T-50 or T-40 size, they are quite big.
The bag will be able to be pulled out of the steering wheel and you disconnect the wires.

I just hope you have not had any ham fisted person missing with it before you try and remove it, one of my trox bolts was completely rounded off because someone had tried to undo it with an Allen key I think, I ended up having to drill it out. Which kind of messes things up as it is a captive bolt in the steering wheel, it will Not fall out after you undo it.