PDA

View Full Version : Underdrive and overdrive accumulator in autobox

Z-Kev
08-03-2013, 09:51 PM
Hi

Been having a look at the autobox rebuild manual , one thing i noticed was the accumulators for overdrive and underdrive , there is a popular mod in the Stagea world of replacing two accumulators with core plugs so the clutches dont slip and the gears go straight in making the clutch plates last longer and give more positive gearchanges without upping the line pressure, just wondering if anyone has done this to a Legnum box?

http://www.skylineowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=155710&page=2

Davezj
08-03-2013, 11:58 PM
I don't think there is a rebuild manual for the 5 speed auto box used in the VR4, but there is one for the 4 speed as used in he v6 n/a galant.
If you have a rebuild manual for the 5 speed please share and post it up on here.

wintertidenz
09-03-2013, 04:03 AM
The rebuild should be almost identical to the F5A42/52 found in FTO's and other Mitsubishi/Hyundai FWD cars - the difference is the centre diff.

Z-Kev
09-03-2013, 07:08 AM
need to do much more investigation on what was done to the stagea box

Davezj
09-03-2013, 11:18 AM
as i said above, if you a manual for the gear box, please share and post up the manual or a link to it, that would be great

Z-Kev
09-03-2013, 11:32 AM
sorry no , I am working from the f4a51 manual which whilst different is only minor , in fact if you want to buy a master rebuild kit for the w5a51 then its the same one as the f4a51, I am going to be speaking to level 10 performance about their rebuild kits and valve bodies

Davezj
09-03-2013, 12:08 PM
that sound interesting, and i hope you get the info you want.
i think the auto box is not something people on here have ever bothered with playing with, as not that many people have the knowledge to do the playing.
there has been some work done on OZVR4, so you might want to take a look at that forum.
i know eyeballprawn has pulled an auto box apart to change the wave spring to a stronger part as this knowen as a weak point in some of the model numbers of the auto box.
i don't think the valve body is something that people have played with.
i will watch this thread with interest.

Nick Mann
09-03-2013, 12:50 PM
As I mentioned in another thread, babylon6 is worth talking to. He has an evo 7 gta with the w5a51 and has done various things to it so it can cope with more. As I understand it, he has had a high stall torque converter running over 500 ftlb!

Z-Kev
09-03-2013, 03:33 PM
Yeah I have been in contact with babylon and he is running in major power, I am looking to do a reliable build for 350hp that will last and be sharper without upping the line pressure but will keep people informed what happens.

Nick Mann
09-03-2013, 05:46 PM
Cool!

wintertidenz
10-03-2013, 02:19 AM
It may also be worth looking into flashing the TCU. This should allow slightly higher line pressures along with other things - the Airtreks run the same transmission we do IIRC so it's worth checking what TCU flashes do on them.