PDA

View Full Version : Super VR4 front bumper Canards

Gingerfish
22-03-2013, 11:32 AM
Like a few members who spend time searching through the club, I'm always on the look out for Super bumper canards as I'd like to fit some to my Legnum at some point.

I'm still a little undecided about which route to go, either facelift front bumper or lifting the look of my pre-fl bumper with some canards.

Over the last year or so I have come across people who have the rare canards in their posession, but even though I have made what I would consider fair offers for '2 pieces of fibre-glass', I've been met with such resonses as "that's not enough for these 'super rare' parts!" or "I can't sell them for that as I paid 'x' hundreds of £'s for them!".

Now I can appreciate that it is always the sellers choice as to asking price, but surely, if your trying to sell something it's counter productive to keep refusing offers in favour of letting what your selling gather dust and take up space.

My late father-in-law always used to say "50% of something is better than 100% of nothing". I would of thought that if your clearing out or trying to raise funds, the fact that you know you can make a sale would be appealing especially with 2nd, 3rd, 4th or even 5th hand goods.

Anyway, I have stumbled across a website that sells NEW Super Canards for less than most people ask for them having had them in their cupboard for ages.

I know there'll be extra charges being an NZ based company, but they'd still work out cheaper than others have priced them at.

Hope this will be of use and...

..... rant over!

http://www.aerotech.co.nz/Part-Mitsubishi-Legnum.html

http://www.aerotech.co.nz/Partno-MI%2020100-Mitsubishi/Legnum/1996_to_2000/MI%2020100.html

peter thomson
22-03-2013, 11:59 AM
If they actually reply to you then I will be surprised. I've made enquires in the past but it seems that selling to customer outside of NZ is of no interest to them

TAR
22-03-2013, 12:13 PM
Totally agree with you Alex.

If you have a problem, I'm sure one of the NZ guys would ship them for you.

:happy:

AncientOfMu
22-03-2013, 02:29 PM
just to stick my oar in here. :)

with the exchange rate as it is. the price in NZ equates to about £160 a set. Add 15% import Duty it comes to £184 for a set. add VAT on top and thats £220 ish.

Thats without whatever shipping costs and bear in mind VAT is charged on the shipping cost as well. I doubt you would get much change out of £300 were you to be successful in buying from them.

Are people REALLY asking for more than £300 for a set of these???

If they are I would be astounded.

I ran a group buy on these from a HK company a few years ago and Im sure they were nowhere near £300 a set however the company I got them from doesnt do them anymore and now Xanadu Detailing officially doesnt exist on the forum I cant find the thread.

Cheers

Don

Gingerfish
22-03-2013, 04:04 PM
I think you may have overestimated the cost of shipping a little, but yes.

People are asking in the region of that price for them.

I've had many replies from owners who are "trying" to sell Canards and they have replied with asking prices between £100 and £350, without postage.

As much as I would like to get my hands on some, at those prices I think I'd rather spend my money on more worthwhile mods and maintenance.

Z-Kev
22-03-2013, 05:15 PM
have you seen socal...235 us dollars, dont know how much to export tho

http://www.socalautowerks.com/products2.html

Gingerfish
22-03-2013, 06:27 PM
Cheers Kev, great find :)

aboo
22-03-2013, 07:03 PM
have you seen socal...235 us dollars, dont know how much to export tho

http://www.socalautowerks.com/products2.htmlI was just about to put up the same link. This site has been known to the club for a few years now but I don't know if anyone in the UK has ever ordered anything from them so don't know what there service would be like.

£100 sound reasonable for a set of replica canards but £300 sounds over the top imo unless they are original ones off a super.

The replica ones that Peter m made & that most have probably got were only up for sale for £160 when he made them. Okay you had to get them painted but you could do that yourself for around £50 like I did.

But as you said its up to the seller to set a price but I would pay up to £150 for a set. I would highly recommend them though as they make the PFL bumper look a lot better/yes

Gingerfish
22-03-2013, 07:57 PM
Cheers for the background info Andy. It seems that the majority are as overpriced as I thought.

£100 was the lowest price I found. I offered less and seller refused (fair enough). I then told him I would get back to him on price and he doubled it, which I thought was a little odd.

AncientOfMu
25-03-2013, 01:25 AM
Alex the problem any UK Pre-Face owner will have regarding Super Canards is that there is not enough demand in the UK for anyone to bother making a mould and making copies (unless like Peter M you are doing it half as a hobby, I would guess)

So that leaves you with two options. Buy from NZ or US and get them relativly cheap but then have to pay shipping, import duty and VAT on top (making them not so cheap) or buying used in the UK.

If I was looking for another set and found some in the UK used for £100 I would snap them up, HOWEVER, the ones that Peter M sold were moulded off of Mazz's Super when she owned it. Her canards were NOT genuine super ones. They were replicas and therefore have a slightly different profile to genuine Super ones.

People who bought the ones I supplied in the group buy have Copies with the correct Super profile. Most people couldnt care less, but me being as I am it was important to me to get the correct shape.

Genuine Mitsi Canards are RARE. last time I checked (admittadly two years ago) they were £400 plus VAT EACH from Mitsi with a 12week delivery. ) Super side skirts were £900 plus VAt EACH!!!!) Used genuine ones are very rare.

Replicas are also rare as the only ones I know of in the UK were either supplied by Peter M or myself. And I don't think either of us sold that many sets.

At the end of the day something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. You may think £100 plus is too expensive for a bit of fibreglass and that is your choice, I'm just trying to give a bit of background to the whole Super Canards shenanigans.

And think Canards are difficult enough try getting hold of a replacement Super rear wing :).

Cheers

Don

scott.mohekey
25-03-2013, 01:30 AM
There's also this place in NZ: http://www.speedfactory.co.nz/site/bodykits/mitsubishi/galant.php

I believe he get's his stuff made somewhere in Asia, so maybe you could see about getting them sent direct to you from there?

Gingerfish
25-03-2013, 11:15 AM
As I mentioned earlier, I'm still undecided about the route in which to take regarding bodywork mods i.e. canards or complete bumper change.

I never set out to dispute the rarity of the canards but as time progresses I've come to realise that actually they're not that rare at all. It is the individuals trying to sell them second hand that has been the problem as they seem to consider them worth MORE than new ones.

The £100 set I mentioned was the cheapest I found, but in trying to get a deal (as we all like to do) that was understandably refused, the said seller then doubled the price within 24hrs so I decided the seller was not worth my time.

I've not been overly bothered by the fact that they are mostly copies of copies as I don't mind getting my hands dirty for any custom modifications, it's just being disheartened by the members who in actual fact have been trying to rip me off ( following what Andy said ).

I've now started to think I'd be better off going my own path with a bodykit front bumper and adding my own personal touches to be a bit different.

If a set of canards pop up at a reasonable price in the meantime I may consider them, but for now I think I might take a punt on a rather different bumper I've found.

Thanks for all your input guys, of course we may not all see eye to eye but all opinions, advice and experiece is very welcome and appreciated.

stu
25-03-2013, 11:58 AM
Maybe worth a look ?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MITSUBISHI-LEGNUM-VR4-SUPER-REPLICA-FRONT-CONARDS-OFF-SIDE-AND-NEAR-SIDE-/181095271175?pt=UK_Cars_Parts_Vehicles_Wheels_tyre _Trims_Trims_ET&hash=item2a2a1e8b07
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MITSUBISHI-LEGNUM-VR4-GENUIN-SUPER-SIDE-SKIRTS-/181095267156?pt=UK_Cars_Parts_Vehicles_Wheels_tyre _Trims_Trims_ET&hash=item2a2a1e7b54

Atik
25-03-2013, 12:07 PM
Hah, thats Karl from these forums!

stu
25-03-2013, 12:22 PM
Hah, thats Karl from these forums!

I know.:thumbsup:

exevoowner
25-03-2013, 12:39 PM
never really liked the canard look would think a lip with side extensions looks better or full bumper upgrade

AncientOfMu
25-03-2013, 12:42 PM
Just for a laugh I have looked up Current Prices of the Super Kit. Brand New from Mitsi ordered through Amayama. All pices are in GBP but need shipping,Import duty and VAT added.

Mitsubishi MZ5685401 381.62 Air Dam,LH
Mitsubishi MZ5685402 381.62 Air Dam,RH
Mitsubishi MZ5693941 615.26 Air Dam,Side,LH
Mitsubishi MZ5693942 615.26 Air Dam,Side,RH
Mitsubishi MZ570709 661.99 Air Dam,,RR Bumper

it would appear that the part Number for the rear spoiler MM800411 Amayama do not recognise.

This infor is just for interest really.

Cheers

Don

Gingerfish
25-03-2013, 12:44 PM
All great finds, chaps.

Some interesting aftermarket stuff here too:

http://topbodykit.co.uk/p/3658/mitsubishi/mitsubishi-galant-vented-saving-weight-bonnet

exevoowner
25-03-2013, 01:08 PM
do like the look of that last bumper

exevoowner
15-06-2013, 11:50 PM
Anybody doing canards yet ?

Gingerfish
16-06-2013, 12:04 AM
Anybody doing canards yet ?

I managed to source a set within the club :smug:

menno3x8g
16-06-2013, 10:33 AM
So, what do you think is a reasonable price for the canards?

Gingerfish
16-06-2013, 11:09 AM
So, what do you think is a reasonable price for the canards?

I paid less than £100 delivered for mine. I consider that to be reasonable.

If buying them from source, i.e. someone making them from a ready made mould; anything over £100 would be a considerable mark-up with a large profit margin for the seller.

It all really depends on how much you're prepared to pay.

menno3x8g
16-06-2013, 12:18 PM
I paid less than £100 delivered for mine. I consider that to be reasonable. If buying them from source, i.e. someone making them from a ready made mould; anything over £100 would be a considerable mark-up with a large profit margin for the seller.

I agree.

Tam
05-07-2013, 10:55 PM
Hi all, I got a set as well for a reasonable price but they are replicas but can't wait to fit them. However how are they attached or are they just clipped into place? Just got to do some repairs on them.

Cheers

Marc

Gingerfish
06-07-2013, 09:37 AM
I don't think there is any hard and fast way of attaching them.

I'll probably bolt mine on, but I need to respray my front bumper and the canards first.

Tam
06-07-2013, 09:52 AM
Cool that's what I was thinking I just wanted to check if there was s proper way of doing it.
Cheers
Marc