PDA

View Full Version : Newbie VR4

VR4Dave
25-01-2005, 09:11 AM
I've been the very proud owner of a silver VR4 for the last 7 days. I've always been a bike man but since having a kid have little time to get the bike out so decided to get my kicks on the way to and from work. Was looking at GTO's and Supra's when I came across the VR4!

It's a 96 auto (I think it's a type S but not 100%) done approx 30k according to import docs but I think it's not far off v. clean etc all looks and feels good.

The nice chaps at SVA took out a load of goodies and left me with about 15yds of loom for cd changer sat nav turbo timer etc all complete with noodle labels, I may put some back but not sure.

Questions: should I take it for a full service at a mitsi dealer?
AYC - when I get three bars I can hear a noise sounds like (quiet version of) flaps moving on a 737 at landing is that normal?
Odd question - mr jap had fitted aftermarket horns which SVA have removed wiring for (not sure how that got through MOT) where is nearest horn wiring and what colour is it?

I have printed the membership form and will be sending it shortly.
Cheers Dave.

HJM
25-01-2005, 09:15 AM
:welcome: To ClubVR4 - that said, I'll leave the more technically able amongst us to answer your questions :$

RED
25-01-2005, 09:53 AM
:wavey: Hello and welcome to the club :-D

I too am not very technical but the last time my AYC sounded like that the oil was as black as your hat and full of shiny metal bits :rolleyes5 It may be a good idea to get it booked into a dealer for fluid changes at least and just for your own peace of mind :)

bernmc
25-01-2005, 10:22 AM
It's a 96 auto (I think it's a type S but not 100%) done approx 30k according to import docs but I think it's not far off v. clean etc all looks and feels good.
This isn't the one that went at auction group/charlesworths up at Donnington?

wrt to horn, you must have the std horn wired in now, so can't you just get a feed from that? ( to find the horn, press the 'horn' button on the steering wheel and listen for the noise :-D:-D:-D:-D:-D:-D only pullin y' leg!)

VR4Dave
25-01-2005, 11:49 AM
Nope, it was at Keighley trade cars where I went to look at a GTO. Re the horn SVA left the two aftermarket horns in position but removed the wiring.
Horns are located next to battery but I can't find any wires tucked up anywhere?
At present no horn, which is a pain I am sick of pressing the button and making my own noise!

If someone could be kind enough to tell me what colour the wire to their horn is and where it comes out of the loom I'm sure I can sort it.

Re: AYC fluid where is the filler / resevoir?

What sort of price do mitsi charge for a fluid change?

Cheers
Dave.

adam_shaw
25-01-2005, 02:03 PM
How did they make an SVA without a horn!

Regular horn is behind the bumper, on - I think the left side, with the washer. Could be wrong, just trying to picture where it was on my Sport, haven't looked for it on the VR4.

Might check the fuse, make sure you have a horn!

AYC reservoir is in the boot, right side as you look into the boot, little carpet panel.

Have fun,

Adam

VR4Dave
25-01-2005, 02:08 PM
Thanks, I'll have a look. Horn fuse is fine, don't know whether original horn is still there.

Know what you mean about SVA also MOT, I've read alot about imports and it appears there are lots of similar stories.

Thanks
Dave.

bernmc
25-01-2005, 03:17 PM
Nope, it was at Keighley trade cars
There's been a bit of discussion about keighley in the 'dealership' section - would be nice if you posted comments on your experiences with them, quality of cars etc.

I've been looking for a VR4 for a while, and they've always got a couple. They were just a bit too far away...

Did you have a look at the manual that they had too?

Nick Mann
25-01-2005, 03:33 PM
There are two horns on the V6 - not looked for them on the VR4 yet. The easiest one to get to is just above and behind the N/S/F foglight. The connectors are two round bullet style connectors with a clear plastic weatherproofing sheath. I think the colours are green or yellow and black, but don't quote me!

The other horn is behind the grill near the headlight, but it is awkward to get to. (Might be easier if you have no way of lifting the car.)

As for the AYC, I'd get someone who knows to check it over. Having said that, not every Mitsy dealer is knowledgable when it comes to VR4's.

enigma
25-01-2005, 03:40 PM
Having said that, not every Mitsy dealer is knowledgable when it comes to VR4's.

How true, Derek phoned a dealer last week and asked for an AYC fluid change and the dealer had no clue what he was talking about!

VR4Dave
25-01-2005, 04:38 PM
There's been a bit of discussion about keighley in the 'dealership' section - would be nice if you posted comments on your experiences with them, quality of cars etc.

I've been looking for a VR4 for a while, and they've always got a couple. They were just a bit too far away...

Did you have a look at the manual that they had too?

If it was the manual (tip) black one they had at £5995 it was sold, I've posted my views on KTC.

chris g
25-01-2005, 04:50 PM
I NEVER expected EVERY dealer to know about my VR-4

I only expected Mitsubishi recognised/designated dRalliart ealers to know about my car and never bothered approaching others

ritch_w
25-01-2005, 05:05 PM
The dealer I use / bought the car from - Bridgend Garage, Irvine - are very good - dont think they are Ralliart - but they are red zebra (dunno the difference) anyway they know their way round a VR4 and Evos as they have shifted a few VR4s and even imported some prior to Ralliart doing it.

recommended :D

Kieran
25-01-2005, 05:31 PM
A 'Red Zebra' dealer is one that has the ability to prepare and sell 'Mitsubishi Approved' cars...

KiwiTT
25-01-2005, 09:09 PM
Ask the dealer to give the car a full "C" service. and remember in 12 months or 15,000 miles time to do a "D" service.

wirdy
26-01-2005, 12:27 AM
:wavey: Hello and welcome to the club :-D

I too am not very technical but the last time my AYC sounded like that the oil was as black as your hat and full of shiny metal bits :rolleyes5 It may be a good idea to get it booked into a dealer for fluid changes at least and just for your own peace of mind :)

Good advice.

My AYC clutch fluid was just a light brown (instead of clear red) when these noises began.....fluid changed & noise gone :D