PDA

View Full Version : Digital ECU Tuner 3 - What are your thoughts

disco-ian
05-04-2013, 04:25 PM
OK so firstly heres the link.

http://www.ecumaster.co.uk/products/digital-ecu-tuner-3

Available for £200 or just under on eBay with a 2.5 bar map sensor (4 bar available)

Looks like its very similar to the MAP-ECU product but a third of the price.

Will allow me to remove the air flow meter and fit MAP ;-)

Does ignition control, great I can use the second map tables to advance my ignition for LPG :-) - Does anyone on here know what crank pick up our cars uses 60-2, 36-2 etc??

Allows 4 analog inputs

2 switchable maps

2 PWM outputs - boost solenoid control would of course be on one of these :-)

internal flash memory for logging.

Would also allow complete control of the injectors rather than just modifying the signal that the original ECU sees (this would mean closed loop would be lost and that they would be fired in two batches of three injectors. Would that cause a problem, can't see one myself but others might please advise)

Seems like quite a good bit of kit. What do you recon.

Now I know you are going to say why bother when our ECU's are flashable. Well I'm looking at the cost side of it as well. I want to be able to tune myself. I know the risks but with a wideband, a knock sensor and a healthy knowledge and understanding of most things engine / electrical I am happy to do so. I will of course make only small changes at a time and with logging ability as well will have lots of data to look at after runs etc.

So cost of buying the kit to flash my 7201 ECU I think last time I looked was over £200. Plus I can't mod it I really need a 7202 which generally sell for about £200, and sell quickly lol

And I think I would still be limited to my MAF. So for me at the moment it looks good and I'm quite happy to install and give you guys a review if no one else has used one yet. But thought I would throw it about on here first as someone might have already found reasons why it will not work.

Nick Mann
06-04-2013, 12:00 AM
Only three injector control outputs? why would you need to batch fire the injectors? I don't know for sure but that sounds bad.

disco-ian
06-04-2013, 04:54 AM
No, only two injector outputs. This is only if you use the ECU in Fuel mode where rather than acting as a fuel table modifier it acts as a semi stand alone ECU. In this mode the idle speed is still controlled by the main ECU however you have full control over the injectors, warm up table, enrichment tables, etc. However only two outputs are on the ECU which means if you do this you loose boost control on the ECU and have to use both outputs for the injectors so output on would be 3 injectors and output 2 would be the other three.

Tats the bit I don't like however of course it only has effect if you go to this level which probably isn't needed. I'm not sure that it would cause any real problems. Just might not be as efficient. I remember when fuel injection was done with one large injector on the throttle bodie and cars ran just fine the but of course maybe not as efficient etc.

Does anyone know if our air flow meters are 0-5 volts output or frequency based as standard?

Also the crank angle sensor is this.

a) a VR sensor (single ended) - I presume not as I think these have two wires and ours has three??

or b) a VR sensor balanced signal (differential) - Again I presume not for the above reason also??

or c) optical / hall sensor. I am guessing this one at the moment as this is the only one that has three wires on the wiring diagram in the manual and if memory serves me correctly (I haven't been out to the car) our sensor has three wires.

Nick Mann
06-04-2013, 07:21 AM
The maf is frequency based. Karman Vortex.
I think the cam and crank are hall sensors.
I still don't understand how you can control 6 injectors from less than 6 outputs, but then I am not a tuner.

disco-ian
06-04-2013, 01:56 PM
Cheers Nick,
Lots of cars fire there injector in "batches" for example my old 306 (the girl friends now) is a 4 cylinder however the injectors are wired up in pairs so the ECU must only have outputs there.

My Land Rover V8 (1994) I'm sure fires the injector is groups after 3000 or 4000 rpm.

I think I read somewhere that are cars as standard are on sequentially fired up to a certain rpm as well and then after that they are either batch or full group fired. Maybe someone like Kev or foxdie can confirm this.