PDA

View Full Version : can anyone help plzzzzzzzzzz

PUDD
14-07-2003, 10:25 AM
:eek: when im manouvering at low speedINSERT INTO post VALUES (like in a car park);
i am getting a metallic clunk from my o/s/f wheel,could this be a ball joint or summat,or summat more serious.
i would be greatful of any ideas you might have as i cant locate the noise.
i have also had excessive wear on one side of my front tyres.
i have had the tracking checked and i am about to change the tyres.
my legnum is fwd and i am on 15" wheels at the mo.
cheers all,

Roadrunner
14-07-2003, 11:09 AM
A few possibilities, PUDD, but the most likely are:

The steering components on VR-4s aren't too robust, so the track-rod ends and the steering rods themselves could have excessive play. The TREs were replaced on my car at 27k miles :eek: and the steering rods at around 50k miles. Neither is a huge job to replace. Excessive wear on any of these components can give you uneven and excessive tyre wear.

Brian

PUDD
14-07-2003, 08:34 PM
:beerclash cheers m8,ill get and look in to that:D

Spirit
14-07-2003, 10:40 PM
Could replacing the track rod ends or steering rods have any effect on the small wheel wobble problem I get at 80mph ?

Roadrunner
15-07-2003, 09:05 AM
Yep.

pjjohnson
15-07-2003, 09:17 AM
I've had the track rod ends replaced and also the streeing rack reconditioned - before I had the work done couldn't detect any problem with wobbles or anything.

My Mitsubishi dealer recommended the track rod work and I needed the steering rack done to pass the MOT. After the work was done the steering felt a bit sharper.

The dealer quoted £1600 plus labour to do the streering rack work, but I found a place to do it for £200 - if anybody needs one doing I can let them have the contact details.

Roadrunner
15-07-2003, 11:19 AM
I got a similar quote from a Ralliart dealer INSERT INTO post VALUES (Western Mitsubishi near Edinburgh) of £1,725 + fitting + VAT for a new steering rack! They claimed their parts list didn't show the steering arms separately. I spoke to Co-ordSport who provided faxes of the exploded drawings of the rack, arms, etc., complete with part numbers which I gave to my INSERT INTO post VALUES (non-Ralliart) Mitsubishi dealer. They then just replaced the steering arms, under warranty :) .

Brian

haydar
15-07-2003, 03:43 PM
I know this is getting a bit repetitive, but probably in Japan the same part would cost 62p plus 3p handling charge. They'd probably give you 34p for you old part in partexchange too!!! :D :D :D :D :D

Seeing that you can buy a VR4 in Japan for not more than £14k, it's hardly likely that they'd pay nearly 2k for a steering rack!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Spirit
15-07-2003, 05:51 PM
Thanks for the info, but my concern is that the car has been into several different places INSERT INTO post VALUES (all I trust) to have balancing, geometry, tracking etc checked and none of them has said there could be anything wrong with the track rod ends or steering rods ? I assume they would have checked them ?

How much do you reckon it will cost me to replace the above ?

Cheers

Pete

haydar
15-07-2003, 06:03 PM
There is one more thing you might want to consider. The Climate Control when on can make a 'clonk' noise as it engages and disengages. This noise also comes from the front right hand side wheel area. I know it's bit of a long shot but are you sure you are not mistaking this noise for a problem with your suspension.

The noise is very mechanical and could easily be mistaken for a problem with the suspension?

Roadrunner
15-07-2003, 09:34 PM
Pete,

Excessive wear on the track-rod ends and steering rods is relatively easily checked by grabbing the steering rod on each side and trying to move it by pushing and pulling the rod laterally INSERT INTO post VALUES (i.e. not in line with the rod). There shouldn't be any free movement in the joints at either end of the steering rods but, if there is, you'll have found the problem. You may even notice the wear by grabbing each front wheel at the top with both hands and trying to shake it laterally. Not guaranteed, though, because there are so many other links INSERT INTO post VALUES (driveshaft, etc.) that could mask any play.

pjjohnson's quote of £200 won't be wide of the mark, I expect, but the work on mine was done under warranty so I never saw the bill.

If you've had the tracking checked, and it's OK, you shouldn't be getting uneven wear on the tyres. Mind, I've had tracking set at different garages with different results - all down to the ability of the technician, I guess. Most recently, I had a full laser alignment done - cost £47, but worth it to know the geometry is correct.

Correct geometry settings were published in my thread here (http://www.clubvr4.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=299&perpage=15&highlight=geometry&pagenumber=1).

Brian

Spirit
15-07-2003, 09:57 PM
Brian

Thanks for the advice again mate. I will get them checked out at the weekend.

Cheers

Pete

PUDD
16-07-2003, 08:49 AM
haydar:)yes ,the clunk sounds just like the c/c kicking in ,but should that be that noisey lol.i'll have a good look anyway,thanks haydar m8;).
my tracking was adjusted and set up with laser alignment equiptment,it cost me £17.50.the guy said i wont feel the benefit on the steering till i replace the front tyres.
thanx again all:D

love and respect

haydar
23-07-2003, 05:53 PM
Found this on the net incase it helps.

http://www.superflex.chriswitor.co.uk/SuperFlex_Mitsubishi_Galant_Prices.pdf

Spirit
23-07-2003, 08:45 PM
Had my car checked last weekend and the guy said he could see nothing wrong other than maybe the front anti roll bushes may be on the way out but he said that would not cause any wheel wobble. What now ? Driveshafts ?

[/engage frustration mode]

Pete

kammy.ahmed
23-07-2003, 11:54 PM
Pete
Have this problem also, i recently had the power steering pump and the steering rack recondition via Xtreme, since then it has not been the same 80+ and it turns to jelly mate. Having it looked at by a ralliart dealer in eccles manchester at the end of this month so will report back if i have any joy.

Kam