PDA

View Full Version : I mostly prefer my VR4 for.......

enigma
25-01-2005, 07:57 PM
So to go with the age old discussions surrounding Auto/Manual or Galant/Legnum............

For normal everyday driving which aspect of the VR4 is most important?

HJM
25-01-2005, 08:11 PM
Grip around the twisty corners of the track for me :-b :D :rolleyes5

enigma
25-01-2005, 08:13 PM
keep it on topic.....on the road..............

HJM
25-01-2005, 08:24 PM
keep it on topic........

Doesn't the chocolate get squashed ? :-D

AllBeItMine
25-01-2005, 08:26 PM
i don't think the VR4 has great grip or handling. i've followed an Evo8 through some twisty stuff and i got to say he made the corners i was butchering looks easy. Too heavy and too much roll. i think some suspension and brake mods are in order.

I think the main reason i like my car is for the noise, the v6 rumble and the torque curve that is ALWAYS there.

Kenneth
25-01-2005, 08:49 PM
Grip and handling for me.

The aftermarket suspension kit I have is set up very well and gives me awsome grip on the corners, and in the event that I loose traction, it drifts neutrally. With better tyres I would be going around corners at silly speeds.

Pescha
25-01-2005, 08:55 PM
i don't think the VR4 has great grip or handling. i've followed an Evo8 through some twisty stuff and i got to say he made the corners i was butchering looks easy. Too heavy and too much roll. i think some suspension and brake mods are in order.

I think the main reason i like my car is for the noise, the v6 rumble and the torque curve that is ALWAYS there.

Well you got to think that the evo's are rally cars, they are lighter and everything on an evo is designed or copied from a rally car. The VR4 is basically a sports vehicle and it weighes a few 100 kilo's more. You can't really compare them in that manner!

Cheers,
Pescha!
P.S I voted for best handling too!

KiwiTT
25-01-2005, 09:00 PM
The Twisty lanes ... Making full use of the AYC, Tyres and Suspension. Any car can point and squirt these days. The twisty bits is what sets this car apart from most others.

There are only a handful cars that can do it better. And best of all, from the outside you can't tell it can.

Roadrunner
25-01-2005, 09:05 PM
Ah, you asked two different questions there, BDA ... ;)

The vote for "on the road the VR-4 excels at?" No doubt, the traffic light GP :-D

Then "what aspect is most important?" No doubt in my mind, grip round the twisty lanes.

Too many good points for one poll :D

jeff
26-01-2005, 11:00 AM

I think that might be taking it a bit far saying not great handling or grip, they are big cars with big engines, and comparing to a new generation rally car might be a bit unfair!! The EVO's are set up a lot more stiffly and of course are lighter, and to be honest, not many cars on the road today will keep up with an evo8 through twisty bits this side of something like a GT3RS or a Noble type machine.

Spot on with the noise though, EVO's dont sound that good!! :-D

Nick Mann
26-01-2005, 11:07 AM
I think that might be taking it a bit far saying not great handling or grip, they are big cars with big engines, and comparing to a new generation rally car might be a bit unfair!!

Exactly! The VR4 is not the best handling car on the road, but what handles better AND cruises comfortably as well. The great thing about the VR4 is the all-round ability - performance, handling, comfort, space.

I voted for general chuckability, but really had trouble deciding between that and the traffic light GP. I get massive smiles from both! Flooring the car over a roundabout onto a slip road never fails to impress me and it's rare that anyone is within 20mph of me through the manouver!

jeff
26-01-2005, 12:17 PM
I think we might be missing a couple of other categories!!

Cruising Ability - Especially high speed stuff, 130-140mph through Belgium on crappy roads on the way to Germany and still be able to talk normally, and have someone asleep in the back at the time kind of does it for me!!

Useability - Everyday driving, specifically the Auto/Tip

Stealth - I think we all know the reasons for that! An EVO is a touch more conspicuous and I think one of the best things about the VR4 is the other drivers WTF face as you sail by (especially you the Ferrari 360 driver who thought it would be an easy kill against this family estate car.) Ha Ha!!!! :-D

enigma
26-01-2005, 12:36 PM
I think we might be missing a couple of other categories!!

With the site being up and down last night I attempted this poll 5 or 6 times! It was intended to be along the lines of grin factor but I got so fed up typing it over that may have been lost!

please continue!

jeff
26-01-2005, 02:00 PM
Ok, I'm out.... What other ones were you thinking, the Grin factor would be leading about now I think!

Jimbo
26-01-2005, 11:43 PM
Gah, you've summed up 4 of the 6 reasons I love the car so much (it's looks and it's rarity/stealth factor would be the other two) which makes it rather difficult to choose.

On due reflection I have to say at the moment though that the thing that gives me the most pleasure is chucking it round bends on twisty B-roads - it's true there may be better cars at this job than the VR4, but I've never had the priviledge of driving them, nor do I think there is anything remotely as good for this purpose for the money I paid......heaven :smitten:

Physician
27-01-2005, 01:39 AM
I voted twisty bits also.

Evo VIII ....... not fair - as has been said. A Murcielago will also out-perform a VR4 etc etc etc ! :sad3:

-LegnumVR4-
27-01-2005, 09:38 AM
The VR4 can be very good at handling, people say they are heavy but with the right shocks (my Teins with adjustment), after market swaybars (adjustable), 17" with a good set of performance tyres and a wheel alignment that is 'setup' for handling they will go very well. Wheel alignment makes a huge difference to how these cars handle, toe in and out front and rear will make or break theses cars.

p1_
27-01-2005, 12:21 PM
The Twisty lanes ... Making full use of the AYC, Tyres and Suspension. Any car can point and squirt these days. The twisty bits is what sets this car apart from most others.

There are only a handful cars that can do it better. And best of all, from the outside you can't tell it can.

i'm with KiwiTT on this one - pushed mine in the wet on worn tyres along a twisty section of road near me and it just gripped. Nuff said about Evo8s - Think Allbeitmine was referring to the recent Puhoi cruise :rolleyes5 (using cruise in the broadest sense by what I've heard). :) :)

Definately have to sort the body roll though cos they are no lightweights.

SGHOM
27-01-2005, 03:20 PM
with 100 bhp of nitrous in my boot, I went for the point & squirt option................................ obviosly !! :-D :D :D :D

Sulli
27-01-2005, 10:01 PM
I went for overtaking power. the massive amounts of torque from low revs, and the lack of lag, is a novelty for me coming from a fairly high powered Scooby with lag and power only after around 3krpm.
Chuckability - well it's chuckable for a big car but doesn't come close to a Scooby really - it's just too big and heavy - this might be solved to some extent by setting up correctly and upgarding suspension, but thats' the case with any car. Plus, as with an Evo, an impreza Turbo is not beaten by much in this respect, so i'm maybe a little too picky. i guess against most cars, it is fairly chuckable.
I was also a little concerned the other day when I nearly got caught out coming out of a junction, turning right, putting on too much power and getting sideways :$ - not sure if it was just not being used to the power delivery, or that my tyres are crap in the wet. I have been using Eagle F1s for the past couple of years and they are by far the best all round tyre for grip, and awesome in the wet - the VR4 has Yokohamas all round, but due to a puncture just before i bought it, one is now a brand new Ecstar :sad3: Anyway - I will withold judgement on grip till I have my new tyres and have driven it in anger a bit more.
Back to the straight line power though - I have slaughtered a modified CTR and an X5 so far - not the fastest cars in the world, but both were trying and they are both quick, and the way the VR4 disposed of them was mighty impressive.
Street Sleeperness is also nice - I can't wait to shcok a Scooby/Porker etc :laugh:

nick-f1
30-01-2005, 02:11 PM
Ah, you asked two different questions there, BDA ... ;)

The vote for "on the road the VR-4 excels at?" No doubt, the traffic light GP :-D

Then "what aspect is most important?" No doubt in my mind, grip round the twisty lanes.

Too many good points for one poll :D

I must admit I'm with Brian on this one........... traffic gp's are fun but nearly always no contest.... even with scoobies ( yuk!) and living in the sticks like I do we have lots of twisty lanes, and at night you can really go for it. So this is the " grin factor" really for me and then theres the " car park factor"........ thats when you lock the car and walk away then turn , look back and I never fail to grin and think " God that looks mean". Imo there are not many cars you can say that about....... for less than £75 thou's worth anyway.

valmes
30-01-2005, 04:14 PM
I would vote for everything! :-D Except... I am sorry, but:( what does "chukability" mean? Is it "stiffness"...

Plus, as with an Evo, an impreza Turbo is not beaten by much in this respect, so i'm maybe a little too picky.

:-D :lipsrseal

№ 1, length 3.6 km.
1997 Legnum VR-4 - 2:11 sec.
1997 Subaru WRX STi - 2:12 sec.

№ 2, length 3.1 km.
1997 Legnum VR-4 - 1:28 sec.
1997 Subaru WRX STi - 1:32 sec.

№ 3, length 2.1 km.
1997 Legnum VR-4 - 1:10 sec.
1997 Subaru WRX STi - 1:10 sec.

Total length: 8.8 km
1997 Legnum VR-4 - 4:49 sec.
1997 Subaru WRX STi - 4:54 sec.

PS: Sorry, won't do it again... but don't be afraid of scoobies on a twisty road :) It is a proven fact - the best of them can be beaten! :-D

Kieran
30-01-2005, 04:20 PM
I know, I know, Hordak isn't a VR-4, BUT.... I've been in/driven several and I have known for ages what my best feature would be... The point and GO acceleration away from a stop! :-b

ANTHONY
16-07-2009, 10:58 PM
i like the fact that when its wet i can pull out of a turning with out wheel spin. unlike most other front wheel drive only cars and vans

Atik
16-07-2009, 11:05 PM
Thread from the past...

But yeah, after driving FWD family cars for a week, I have a new found respect for my car again!

Taking corners at stupid-mph, accelerating past everything and just having the V6 rumble on tap!

And for me, the vote goes to general chuckability. Nothing much out there to compare as an all-rounder.

Ryan
16-07-2009, 11:13 PM
^ What he said :)

Turbo_Steve
17-07-2009, 08:03 AM
Thread from the past...thread from the dead more like.
In fact, thread from before-the-dawn-of-time.

I like the all-round-ness: Vr4s are really very good at most things, and that's actually much harder than just being good at being fast or being comfy.
Modern (and extremely) expensive cars do the refinement aspect better.....but not at this price, and with the same amount of stealth.

martin_y
17-07-2009, 09:41 AM
Great all-round car. having come from an RX-7, the power and handling is (almost) as enjoyable.
Fantastic sleeper.
But I love the overtaking power. When on holiday with 2 passengers, camping gear in boot, bikes and roof box on top, and I can blast past those 45 Mph numpties in ther Micras on single lane A roads, in relative safety. Fantastic!

Stevo
18-07-2009, 07:32 AM
lol i may not have a vr4 but the v6 is a fantastic car, ya can throw it around like nuffing i have ever driven and it always has grip even with my average tyres, the noise is superb and overtaking power is always there

1+ vote for chuckability

nuster100
18-07-2009, 05:24 PM
I think its an awesome for cruising and overtaking.

Good but not the best round the twisty bits, the ayc helps but the thing is still too much of a barge for serious cornering. (compaired to evo etc)

Jay