PDA

View Full Version : Preventing scraping at the rear

wintertidenz
15-04-2013, 06:56 AM
I have a slight issue with any weight in the back - the exhaust hits the road. The car has standard shocks and springs, and the exhaust sits about 14cm off the ground as it is.

I replaced the exhaust hangers so the exhaust actually sits up against the wheel well (so as high up as possible) but it still scrapes like crazy - with 3 people in the back and a sub box the car was scraping constantly down the road at only 50km/h (and it was sitting 3cm off the ground!).

The issue seems to be that the car sinks too much when there is any weight or it goes over a bump - is there any options out there for a higher spring rate and/or heavy duty shocks? I don't want to go for coilovers if possible because of certification.

marvelman156
15-04-2013, 10:55 AM
Mine scrapes too with weight in the back, drove to Hamilton with a car load of people with it scrapping every tiny bump in the road :thumbsdow My cars on lowered springs though and I haven't tried raising the exhaust yet, so it seems weird that it would scrape on standard shocks and springs. Perhaps the springs need replacing?

Gingerfish
15-04-2013, 11:21 AM
is there any options out there for a higher spring rate and/or heavy duty shocks? I don't want to go for coilovers if possible

That's the same question I've been thinking of asking.
I have to carry a dismantled mobility scooter in the boot though. Once the scooter and the family are in, it feels a bit wobbly at the back and scrapes exhaust pipe over bumps.

mike74
15-04-2013, 12:42 PM
maybe try a set of those rubber donut thingys that are meant for tow vehicles. they fit in between the coils on the rear springs and are only about £10 for a set

SEAN-NZ
16-04-2013, 07:04 AM
stiffer springs? mines lowered, load the car with people, sub box in boot, and a couple tents and bedding, no scraping issue that i have ever noticed, dropping 11cm when loaded up seems like a lot, maybe somethings a bit worn?

wintertidenz
16-04-2013, 12:41 PM
I really can't lower the car as it's bad enough getting round Auckland as it is - speed bumps and a lot of driveways are not friendly to a car with a bodykit, let alone lowered.
The exhaust is very low at one point under the diff, which is where most of the scraping occurs - lowering the car would make it permanently scrape.

wintertidenz
16-04-2013, 12:44 PM
And yes it is possible that something is worn - I will take the rear wheels off in the weekend and have a look. The back has always been quite soft since I replaced the shocks and springs, but last time I checked it was all in good order with no leaks or damage to the springs.

SEAN-NZ
18-04-2013, 11:25 AM
i personaly think something a bit stiffer in the back would be best bet, any chance of pics of the car when its loaded up?

wintertidenz
19-04-2013, 07:39 AM
This is with three people and a sub box in the back.

scott.mohekey
19-04-2013, 08:05 AM
That doesn't look right at all.

MarkSanne
19-04-2013, 08:47 AM
As said: doesn't look right. The exhaust should be flush with the floor, like here:
http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll310/SR22RAY/legnum%20exhaust/017.jpg

SEAN-NZ
19-04-2013, 09:30 AM
mine gets that low when full, still dont have issues, cant remember how my exhaust looks, but im sure its higher than yours, the hangers connected properly? even one not on will make a large sifference

wintertidenz
19-04-2013, 09:34 AM
The exhaust dips by the AYC as they decided to make it that way when they fitted the exhaust - I just haven't gotten around to paying someone about $150 to get it fixed yet.

This is what it was like when new:
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m23/wintertide/IMG_00041024x768.jpg
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m23/wintertide/IMG_00051024x768.jpg

Sean - the hangers have actually just been replaced to bring the exhaust up - as you can see it used to sit far lower. Now it's up against the wheel well/fuel tank and there is no more room.

Davezj
19-04-2013, 10:53 AM
I think mark is right here,
The exhaust does not look like it has been routed correctly when it was made or fitted, it should tuck up out of the way. To stop this happening. Marks exhaust is in the correct location.
Do you have the correct bump stops fitted to the top of the shocks as these are supposed to stop the car bottoming out.
Also the suggestion of the spring helpers, the rubber/urathane coils that in between the spring coils used for when towing heavy loads, could solve his issue at least in the shot term.

I have stiffer spring on mine (but I don't know the rate) I had 3 people in the car and 15 meters of ceramic floor tiles (200kg) in the boot plus all my tools and I still had a finger gap between the tyre and the arch. Normal 3-4 fingers gap.
So stiff spring will help, but makes the ride almost unbearable.