PDA

View Full Version : Intercooler from Forge Motorsport

enigma
26-01-2005, 04:02 PM
I have had a reply from Forge Motorsports about a custom made intercooler for my car.

The standard intecooler is about 500x155x65mm and I have asked for a replacement to be around 750x190x75mm.

The price? £225+vat which I dont think is bad! I may have to get myself down there as they can make pipes as well.......... :lipsrseal

basheer
26-01-2005, 04:05 PM
whats the advantage of a bigger inter cooler??? (pardon my ignorance..) :)

Kenneth
26-01-2005, 08:40 PM
Assuming my my theory is all correct, it goes like this.

The intercooler works like a heat-sink. As air passes through the intercooler it contacts the (hopefully) cooler metal that makes up the intercooler.

If all is going well, the heat is moved from the hot compressed air, to the intercooler. Due to physics, the bigger the difference in heat (intercooler / air) the better it works.

Bigger intercoolers have a number of good effects.

1) More heat transfer surface area means more chance of moving heat from air to intercooler
2) More heat transfer material means that the intercooler can absorb more heat without heating up so much itsself.
3) Bigger internally means that you can reduce the flow restriction (or pressure drop) between the inlet vs the outlet. This factor means there is less additonal heat generated by flow restriction.

Apparently the bigger intercooler will increase time to get on boost, as the turbos have to fill a bigger space before pressure is being built up

Spirit
26-01-2005, 11:06 PM
Dave

Would the dimensions you mention require any modifications to the bodywork at all ?

AllBeItMine
27-01-2005, 12:09 AM
the demensions he has asked for should require no modifications at all in terms of bending, cutting, moving any of the factory stuff around.

it will require him to unclip the power steering cooler lines and hitch them up behind the intercooler,

it will also require some brackets to hold it being bolted/welded onto the front impact beam. but that is it.

should work really nicely

wirdy
27-01-2005, 01:32 AM
Assuming Forge make their intercoolers from all-alloy then there's another advantage over out stock 'metal & plastic' affair.

valmes
27-01-2005, 04:17 AM
Should fit. :)
PS: The circles show where stock pipes(the alum. ones, with stock rubber hoses off) are relative to intercooler...

enigma
27-01-2005, 08:47 AM
I am in negotiation with Forge as we speak, I am going to take a trip down so they can assess the cost of silicone hoses.......I know they aint shiny, but they work just as well!

Is there anyone interested before I get them to go to a lot of trouble for a one off? :$

Louis
27-01-2005, 11:43 AM
Yes.

caishanvr4
27-01-2005, 11:53 AM
What all that for under a monkey, i could be very very tempted.

borgan
27-01-2005, 12:20 PM
I went to SFS (hose manufacturers similar in quality to Samco) in luton to try & match up silicone hoses a while back. They couldn't help & the price for a one-off set wasn't worth it. IIRC in excess of a thousand pounds for the first set!!!!
I then opted for the hard pipe kit that until then appeared quite expensive.