PDA

View Full Version : blow by gas issue?

crazydriver81
26-04-2013, 07:50 AM
Hey folks,

I have a problem with the Legnum and need some help from the experienced people, as i am a noob... /dunce

My car has suddenly developed an "oily" problem. The VTA-BOV is spilling some oil out, every time it opens. We experienced the issue yesterday and it has not been there last week. It looks like here in miller 's old thread: http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?43639-Turbo-Seals

The car does not get blue smoke on acceleration or lift off, so I assume it is not the turbo seals. Taking the Y-pipe off it looked like the major amount of oil is coming from the rear turbo side.

The car was hardly driven since last week, but was running on idle/higher revs for quiet a time, when checking a coolant temperature issue. I just wonder if this has been accumulated as the BOV was not opening and now blews out the crap...

Where could it come from? Where to look at? Could it be a blow by gas issue? Maybe PCV valve not working? Can the car still be driven with this issue?

Any help highly appreciated as will go to the workshop this afternoon and want to check in detail. THANKS! /help

Nick Mann
26-04-2013, 07:59 AM
It's either coming from the turbos or the rocker covers. An oil catch can will show you how much is coming from the heads.

crazydriver81
26-04-2013, 08:59 AM
thanks Nick. Is it normal that this issue develops almost "instantly"? Is there any reason or specific point to look at, if it comes from the heads?

Can I still drive the car, as I don't think I'll get an oil catch can before the weekend?

SEAN-NZ
26-04-2013, 09:29 AM
they all do it to some extent, although yours sounds worse than normal, usually comes from the back as the oil gets spit in before the turbo i think

wintertidenz
26-04-2013, 11:18 AM
I'd suggest taking the pipes off, cleaning them all out including the intercooler, and seeing how it goes from there. It could just be some oil sitting in the pipes - a little bit is apparently normal.

SEAN-NZ
26-04-2013, 11:40 AM
i second wintertidenz comment

crazydriver81
26-04-2013, 08:53 PM
All cleaned and some interesting findings.

1. much oil only inside the rear turbo suction side pipe-other pipes normal
2. approx 100ml of oil in the blocked air-return pipe (I run a VTA-BOV)

Next will be an Oil catch can...

wintertidenz
27-04-2013, 03:52 AM
Definitely get an oil catch can. I had some oil in the pipes before I fitted one, but now that I have, there is no oil in either side of the pipes and the can has never needed emptying (I regularly check it, but it's also full of steel wool).
It's peace of mind.