PDA

View Full Version : passing and emissions test without a CAT?

gazmk2
01-05-2013, 05:33 PM
Anybody done it? If so was the garage anywhere near Oxford!

Cheers dudes

Gary

Pugme
01-05-2013, 05:38 PM
If u know any boy racers they will tell u where to go, iv never failed an mot in 13 years ;)

adaxo
01-05-2013, 06:56 PM
You should pass emission test regardless, is just a rule that say cat must be fitted on car equipped with cat from factory, all depends how friendly your mot tester is/secret

Chris.W
01-05-2013, 09:39 PM
6a13tt engine code is not in the vosa emissions system, according to my mot tester. Therefore if they try to test it as just a standard v6 tell them where to shove it. As an import it has a different set of emissions limits and should pass regardless.

1st time i took mine in, when i went to collect it I asked about the emissions. Testers reply and I quote "Oh these jap imports, they never make what they are supposed to"

This years test, the conversation went:-
Me - I've fitted a new exhaust and it's a bit loud.
Tester - You've not removed the cat have you?
Me - There is no cat fitted
Tester - F*&% that might be a problem.............it's an import tho?
Me - Yup. Kenny, i've been bringing it here for 3 years and it's never had a cat fitted.
Tester - How the hell have I managed to pass that then? Oh well never mind, it'll be fine!

JimT
02-05-2013, 10:34 PM
I get mine done without cat.

thegoose
10-05-2013, 01:29 PM
All you have to say there was no cat fitted on import they have to pass it as there's no proof it was there in the first place.

Ghost_2008
10-05-2013, 10:28 PM
All you have to say there was no cat fitted on import they have to pass it as there's no proof it was there in the first place.

I contacted VOSA and spoke to a rep, they stated something to the effect of after 1991 (or whatever year) all road going cars were built with a cat. I explained that the car in question was an import and they stated they would only accept a letter from Mitsubishi confirming no cat fitted from factory.

Going forward however the VR4 is not listed for emmisions and is therefore tested on a generic cat test.

The MOT is however open to interpretation by the tester, some are more understanding than others........ mine is..........

swinks
11-05-2013, 06:38 AM
With new MOT regulations, our VR4 is tested as "cat converter fitted" by default. So, any de-cat is fail. Like in post above Adam explained.
However, no emission test applies as JDM import with no emission level set ;)

gazmk2
11-05-2013, 09:15 AM
There is a silencer where the CAT was that could easily pass for a sports CAT so should be ok! I have just fitted new ARB bushes all round, 2 new track rod ends and 2 new steering rack gaitors which was all I could find when I gave it a once over before the sprint day. Already fitted new discs and pads a few weeks ago so fingers crossed it should get through ok.

Humpty's Revenge
11-05-2013, 09:48 AM
I to have spoken to vosa

The new law states that any car from 1991 will be fitted with a cat as Adam has also stated

Now if the make of car is not on the list then it will be tested on the year of the plate

So if you don't have a cat fitted it should not pass unless you have a tester that doesn't understand the emission laws

Sorry chaps just stating what the law states as I to wondered

The older it is the less strict on emission test it is

gazmk2
11-05-2013, 10:12 AM
I might try the classic " leave a few notes in the ashtray" routine that got many of my old golfs through a test!

jjayokocha
12-05-2013, 01:39 PM
Mine passes in N Ireland mot centre every year without a cat :)

WOODY72
12-05-2013, 02:21 PM
Bit of a long run!

elnevio
12-05-2013, 03:43 PM
But the rule has only actually been properly in force since March 1 this year. The previous rules were somewhat greyer when it came to cats on imports.

Glad I got my MoT on 27 Feb! :dance:

Dixyman666
12-05-2013, 07:19 PM
None of my cars have had cats and they pass mot every year, even when my cars fail on emissions he just brings another car in and tests that one instead, passes every time funny enough. I used to work at the mot station, it's not what you know it's who you know :)