PDA

View Full Version : Fast vs Furious - which is quickest?

p1_
27-01-2005, 12:35 PM
Hopefully this hasnt been covered elsewhere - be gentle on me if it has :$

I have a question around the quickest way to get my Legnum VR4 Auto to accelerate (strange question I hear you all asking :rolleyes5 ). Well I am referring to what appears to me to be the 'Fast' route, which is leave it in auto and mash the pedal or try take it through the tiptronic 'Furious' upshifts manually?

I may be imagining things but I reckon that the former is the faster - i know that the clever box of tricks (technical term) has a short term memory for your recent driving style - but it still feels quicker than shifting manually even though with this you can take it to the red line.

Is the auto mapped to make use of the optimal parts of the torque curve? (ooooh that sounded like I knew what that was - scary)

Look forward to knowing which is best.

I-S
27-01-2005, 12:48 PM
http://www.askisaac.com/images/shiftpattern1.jpg

That's for the GLS auto. The shaded areas indicate the range over which the box program will alter the shift points.

enigma
27-01-2005, 01:04 PM
I have tried all ways and you cant beat the Auto for straight acceleration. A tip for getting you there quicker is to wind up the turbos before launching by applying the brakes to build up some revs :D

jeff
27-01-2005, 01:06 PM
I think the answers are going to come from all the drag and strip boys! :laugh: Sorry, the guys who launch themselves up the 1/4... Personally I think the auto has a damn good shift pattern, seems to be on torque and not lose revs lke some other fully autos, plus you can always make a mistake of over/under doing it on the shifts when your in manual.

Legnum Boy
27-01-2005, 02:11 PM
... but the auto can be easily fooled into selecting too low a gear at times.
Try kicking down at just under 60mph. Sometimes it will select 3rd quite rightly, but sometimes it will try 2nd, which has already used up its useful rev range. :(

A nice mix of Tip/Auto is the order for the day... :-b :-b

Nick Mann
27-01-2005, 02:14 PM
For a rolling start use tip. For a standing start use full auto with a launch using revs in drive held on the brake.

Zeke
27-01-2005, 02:46 PM
Does everyone know that if you are rolling and hit the gas pedal twice in rapid succession and hold it WOT on the 2nd hit it will downshift twice and takes off?
This of course won't work if you are in 1st or 2nd :) Seems a lot of people don't know that all autoboxes have that ability.

enigma
27-01-2005, 03:26 PM
Errrr........If I nail the gas and the box thinks it appropriate to downshift 2 gears it will! None of this fancy footwork required! :$

colVR4
27-01-2005, 04:35 PM
Just mash it down to the 'go' button under the throttle pedal. :)

Legnum Boy
27-01-2005, 05:51 PM
Errrr........If I nail the gas and the box thinks it appropriate to downshift 2 gears it will! None of this fancy footwork required! :$

Ditto :laugh:

AllBeItMine
27-01-2005, 07:41 PM
with my manual, in the top of third gear, just coming up to redline, i'm doing about 125-130kph. do the ratios in the triptronic match up with this? is it a 4 or 5 speed box?

Sulli
27-01-2005, 08:42 PM
I used to know a bloke with an auto pick-up (Big engined Yank thing) that did something called a 'Neutral Drop'. Basically, rev to 5-6k rpm in neutral, then drop it straight down to Drive, and floor it - smae as a manual high rev start and dropping the clutch.
Not sure if the VR4 has a safety feature to prevent this working, and i'm certainly not going to try - but it's a thought for those of you wanting to shave a tenth or two from your qtr times.

psbarham
27-01-2005, 09:05 PM
while we are on the subject of auto boxs and their strange shift patterns , does any body know if it's normal for auto in a V6 24 too kick down to third when nailing it at 110mph and then holds third till about 120+ish is this normal or has mine gone completly bonkers??

SGHOM
27-01-2005, 09:11 PM
I used to know a bloke with an auto pick-up (Big engined Yank thing) that did something called a 'Neutral Drop'. Basically, rev to 5-6k rpm in neutral, then drop it straight down to Drive, and floor it - smae as a manual high rev start and dropping the clutch.
Not sure if the VR4 has a safety feature to prevent this working, and i'm certainly not going to try - but it's a thought for those of you wanting to shave a tenth or two from your qtr times.If you did that, you would almost certainly leave your gearbox on the start line !! :lipsrseal :lipsrseal

enigma
27-01-2005, 09:51 PM
If you did that, you would almost certainly leave your gearbox on the start line !! :lipsrseal :lipsrseal

I concur, but I am happy to try it in someone elses car!

SGHOM
27-01-2005, 09:54 PM
I concur, but I am happy to try it in someone elses car!
what you doin' next sunday Dave ?? my box is coming out next week. one way or the other !! :lipsrseal :laugh: :laugh:

AllBeItMine
28-01-2005, 01:19 AM
what you doin' next sunday Dave ?? my box is coming out next week. one way or the other !! :lipsrseal :laugh: :laugh:

NOW THATS a good attitude! well done sir. :laugh:

i3ooyah
28-01-2005, 02:18 AM
you could rev it up to 5000rpm in N and then throw it in2 drive? :)

p1_
28-01-2005, 03:29 AM

Thanks for all the responses - wont be trying this myself but you guys in the UK give it a go and let us know the results - plus any pictures if there is a mess afterwards ;)

Kenneth
28-01-2005, 03:37 AM

er... um... :$ I used to do this in my 1.8 Galant GDI

It was rather violent, but didnt really accomplish much as the car was way under powered.

When I had the car serviced, the mechanic said the gearbox drove really well. :-D

Try this one also, go in reverse, then Neutral, rev her up, then dump into drive... always good for some fun. you cant go from drive to Reverse though... car just keeps going forward.

I think I have said enough already on this subject... :lipsrseal :rolleyes5