PDA

View Full Version : AYC problem?!

cooin
02-05-2013, 02:54 AM
Hi,
just newbie to here, but have big trouble...
bought my 2000 VR4 few weeks ago, really like the car, pulling very well, but AYC light on today...
switch on engine, all green line show and off, drive one or two minutes later, AYC red light on, try few times still do same thing...
i searched few similar threads, someone said maybe need to replace the switch?
or need to replace the new pump......need advice.... thanks everyone~~~

Chris.W
02-05-2013, 05:44 AM
Some one posted something about tire pressures affecting the AYC and giving spurious red light of doom. Not sure if that was only during cornering tho.

Sure some one will be along shortly to point you in the right direction.

Oh, where did you buy it?

Subaru ETA
02-05-2013, 07:14 AM
Most likely needs a adjustable pressure switch.

First of all though, when was the diff and AYC last serviced?

cooin
02-05-2013, 09:46 AM
Some one posted something about tire pressures affecting the AYC and giving spurious red light of doom. Not sure if that was only during cornering tho.

Sure some one will be along shortly to point you in the right direction.

Oh, where did you buy it?

I bought the car from the auction, but seem to be previous owner is VR4 member "Mel"~

cooin
02-05-2013, 09:49 AM
Most likely needs a adjustable pressure switch.

First of all though, when was the diff and AYC last serviced?

that is long time ago~maybe 1-2 years...

Subaru ETA
02-05-2013, 09:50 AM
With no service history I would be getting the rear diff serviced - gear oil, AYC clutch pack fluid and new actuation fluid

elnevio
02-05-2013, 11:07 AM
This one (www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?67390-Galant-VR-4-Est-Ralliart-2000-Cambridge) then?

Differing tyre pressures wouldn't give you the red AYC light, they would only make it more likely for a green light to come on, especially noticeable in a straight line.

Agree with the likely problem being AYC pump not being able to provide enough pressure. This can be resolved by replacing the pressure switch with an adjustable one so that it activates at a lower pressure. Unless it's already got one, then it may just need another turn on the adjustment screw. MPBVr4 still has these switches available, IIRC?

cooin
03-05-2013, 12:35 AM
finally, i bought another AYC pump, and hopefully will sort the trouble out, i will keep update once i replace the pump, thanks all for now~~~

Subaru ETA
03-05-2013, 07:44 AM
Why did you buy a pump? Did you get it diagnosed as faulty?

cooin
04-05-2013, 03:30 AM
Why did you buy a pump? Did you get it diagnosed as faulty?

Yes, my friend use vagcom found said pump failure, so.....sad....

chris g
04-05-2013, 08:26 AM
I think it may still have been the switch...

Nick Mann
04-05-2013, 09:08 AM
Pump failure means that it is not getting up to pressure. It could be that the pump is stuffed but it is more likely that the pump is still working but not making quite enough pressure or the pressure switch is stuffed.