PDA

View Full Version : Different FL saloon rear lights?

GalantOnly
05-05-2013, 05:11 AM
It's not happens every day that I discover a new details about Galants, that I didn't knew already... But it's just happend! :|

There's actually two "different style" of the OEM FACELIFT rear saloon lamps, which I just spotted!!! /yes (not just PFL/FL difference)

And I'm just curious to know how many of you know what difference is :)

(Maybe I'm just the last man on the planet to discover that)

Subaru ETA
05-05-2013, 06:56 AM
Sorry, you are the last :p

swinks
05-05-2013, 08:12 AM
It's not happens every day that I discover a new details about Galants, that I didn't knew already... But it's just happend! :|

There's actually two "different style" of the OEM FACELIFT rear saloon lamps, which I just spotted!!! /yes (not just PFL/FL difference)

I thought there were three fl styles... :)

Nick Mann
05-05-2013, 08:29 AM
I didn't know. But then the galoon is the wrong shape so I don't pay much attention!

GalantOnly
05-05-2013, 11:23 AM
Sorry, you are the last :p

No no, Nick is the last :beerbang:

Tomasz... Three?! Are you kidding??? :shocked:

swinks
05-05-2013, 09:43 PM
Tomasz... Three?! Are you kidding??? :shocked:
Yes, a bit... :)
But if you consider... facelift lights from EUDM/JDM, USDM and Taiwan/Malaysia markets then it counts as 3 different styles. ;)

Davezj
05-05-2013, 10:55 PM
according to ASA there are 3 different original factory fit rear lights for a EC5A chassis code

MR339076 (1996-1997)
MR416776 (1997-1998)
MR4832342 (1998-2002)

so ASA is saying two styles in PFL and one style in FL

Nick Mann
05-05-2013, 11:02 PM
Isn't ea5w a front wheel drive v6 estate?and ec5a is a 4wd v6 saloon?
Or have I got that back to front?

Davezj
05-05-2013, 11:05 PM
yeh your right nick got the numbers back to front and edited the original post.

Nick Mann
05-05-2013, 11:08 PM
Cool! I was doubting my often dubious memory then!

Scanny
07-05-2013, 04:53 PM
i preferred the 1998 GLS tail lights to the 1999 GDI tail lights which had rounded/oval in the lens. not sure about a 3rd style though

Anderz
07-05-2013, 08:31 PM
The JPN and EUR taillights are different for both FL and PFL. The EUR spec lights have much smaller "light" area and an integrated reflector

MarkSanne
07-05-2013, 10:09 PM
I have removed that reflector on both my Galoons FL rear lights plus also removed the red-lined piece of plastic that sits in front of the clear glass part. Makes it look fresher, more modern and without the reflector-helper-piece the rear light is much bigger too.

GalantOnly
08-05-2013, 01:31 AM
I have removed that reflector on both my Galoons FL rear lights plus also removed the red-lined piece of plastic that sits in front of the clear glass part. Makes it look fresher, more modern and without the reflector-helper-piece the rear light is much bigger too.

Thanks Mark!!! You just solved the puzzle, I tried to make sense of the last couple of days...

The lamp at the top is the well-known-to-everybody EUDM FL lamp, which I always used.
The lamp at the bottom is the one, I recently saw for the very first time on my customers car and quite liked it because it had no red lines at the clear area and looked much more like from this century. At the same time it looked very much factory made - I saw no marks in the plastic, like someone tried to open them to remove the red stuff. That's why I quickly decided that it must be the latest FL rear lamp (it changes the part number in ASA from 2002.09 and onwards). After that, I got veeery exited and I wrote this thread immediately.../yes
But... Couple of hours later... just to be sure... I did check the 2002/2003 cars and found out, that I got exited too early :oops: All the rear lamps had those red lines, no matter what year they were produced.........

Today, I've asked the owner of this particular car where he got those lights from... And he told me, that he bought them from.... ermm... Mark from Holland........../Wyhy

GalantOnly
08-05-2013, 01:39 AM

In my opinion it looks veeery good /yes

Is it easy to remove, Mark?

Nick Mann
08-05-2013, 08:52 AM
Today, I've asked the owner of this particular car where he got those lights from... And he told me, that he bought them from.... ermm... Mark from Holland........../Wyhy

Hahahaha!! I wouldn't have even noticed. :D :P

MarkSanne
08-05-2013, 09:03 AM
Yes it's fairly easy. Just heat up the black kit that holds the two parts of the rear light together so you can to the inside. I would recommend using either a household oven on 120 degrees Celcius for 10 minutes (keep sitting in front of the oven to check if all goes well or (my current favorite method, including the preferred method by the missus) is use a heat gun and gently heat up the complete edge. It gives me good control and it will also take about the same amount of time to heat up the entire edge. Be carefull not to get too much heat on the hard clear/red plastic of it will easily get dull spots. Also start pulling/pushing the 2 halves apart from the bottomside first. Should you damage bits there they will probably will not or be less visible.

Okay, now we're inside. The reflector is simply screwed in with 1 or 2 philipshead screws, remove them, and the reflector is out. The reflector from the rear light will still work, but less reflective. I never had the MOT guys complain about it, but I'm not sure how strict it is in other countries.

The red-lined piece is a thin plastic piece that you simply push inwards to free it up. It's not glued/screwed or truly fixed. It just fits very good but when you can get to it with your fingers, you'll be able to get it out.

To finish it of, use a silverline bulb for the indicator which will leave a completely clear lamp area which looks best imo.

Here's a picture of the lamps before/after and what the piece of red-lines plastic looks like:
http://www.galant-fans.nl/forum/download/file.php?id=114&mode=view/iphone%20496.jpg