PDA

View Full Version : turbo whine

Evolved
10-05-2013, 06:22 AM
ive had a look though the other threads about this, most of them talk about gearboxes, turbo whistles & blowing bottle noises!

my noise is different and going to be difficult to explain. i cant hear it when im going very fast, because of the wind speed noise and i can't hear it when im cruising around so defiantly not gearbox, otherwise i'd hear it all the time.

only this past week, i can hear a strange noise during turbo spool (i think its the second or larger turbo as its prominent on harder/higher revs acceleration.)

the noise is like a metal sheen..

imagine two giant heavy sheets of metal being pulled across each other quickly..

its not the usual turbo whistle, thats a lovely noise.. its definatly something new, and something not right.. but the acceleration performance doesn't seemed to have dropped (yet)

the previous owner may have driven the car harder than he should of.. i doubt he let the turbos warm up or cool down.. (which i do while driving, not on idle if anyone is wondering)

anyone got any ideas?

Nick Mann
10-05-2013, 06:31 AM
The turbos are the same size and work the same way at the same time.

Your description of the noise is interesting but I can't work out exactly what you mean. If you suspect turbos then you could remove the y pipe and see if one turbo is letting more oil through? Also I would check when the drive train was serviced and check basic stuff like wheel nuts and bearings.

Evolved
10-05-2013, 06:46 AM

Your description of the noise is interesting but I can't work out exactly what you mean. If you suspect turbos then you could remove the y pipe and see if one turbo is letting more oil through? Also I would check when the drive train was serviced and check basic stuff like wheel nuts and bearings.

i thought with twin turbo's one was smaller than the other.. sort of.. two stage boost.. but ive not actually had a good look to be honest!

i'll check all the nuts and bearings. i know the wheel balancing is defiantly out somewhere.. but im getting new tyres soon.. so pointless getting that sorted now..

ive got tomorrow off work, so i'll investigate more. and post what i find

Subaru ETA
10-05-2013, 07:09 AM
The VR 4 turbo set up is parallel - 2 turbos of the same size which spool at the same time and speed.

Sequential set ups use 1 small turbo and one larger. The small one spools up at low speeds, then gives way to the larger at higher rpm. Subaru legacy and mazda rx7 use this sort of set up

Evolved
10-05-2013, 07:54 AM
thanks David.

learning something new everyday!

the noise is the turbo spooling whistle.. but more coarse..

like a metal gasket loose in a chamber...

so hard to describe the noise...

richy rich
10-05-2013, 02:11 PM

Nick this may be the same kind of noise I was talking to you about.
This noise only started on mine after upgrade of down pipes, the power is better the pick up is better and the turbos spool earlier.

Mine is def on turbo spool.

I was also having difficulty explaining the sound.

The only thing I can think of is the blades are just touching the body of turbo.

I quit like the sound the closest sound I can think of is ball bearing turbos!!! That would be nice.

Need someone to drive past me so I can listen outside and they can give me a second appinion.

As Nick will tell you I had no excessive oil in turbo pipes and im getting no smoke of any kind so no seals gone.

exevoowner
10-05-2013, 02:26 PM
Is it a dry bearing sound ?
I have a noise that im trying to locate it only happens off tick over then turns to a rattle will be going outside soon to investergate

Evolved
10-05-2013, 07:28 PM
only started on mine after upgrade of down pipes
i have no upgrades.

blades touches the body of the turbo would be a good description of the noise. but that can't happen surely!

I have a noise that im trying to locate it only happens off tick over then turns to a rattle will be going outside soon to investergate
pretty sure there isn't a rattle..

dry bearing maybe.. hopefully i don't have work today so i can investigate this more...

richy rich
10-05-2013, 07:34 PM

I had that kind of sound not that long ago it turned out to be tension pull on power steering and air com.

richy rich
10-05-2013, 07:40 PM
blades touches the body of the turbo would be a good description of the noise. but that can't happen surely!

dry bearing maybe.. hopefully i don't have work today so i can investigate this more...

It can happen if bearings are on way out (but there should be other symptoms) or I'm thinking a build up of sum sort making the clearance disappear.

As I say mine is fine in always apart from this noise and it is def turbo.
I may just be being paranoid.

exevoowner
10-05-2013, 07:44 PM
Didnt get chance before the rain got here will have to check tomorrow did cha ge the tensioner not so long ago will che k again by re.oving it and trying that

Evolved
10-05-2013, 08:47 PM
past week or so ive been getting a slight squeal from one of the belts... not sure which one though.. they all seem fairly tight.. and its only on idle.

Davezj
10-05-2013, 10:09 PM
my turbo/turbos are sounding like a slow police sciren when accelerate very slowly a wooo wooo. they have been like this for more than a year, and i have checked end play in the compressor wheel and i can't see any and i know there is no a boost leak because i check this regularly when i disconnect pipe work.

i am presuming there is some damage on the turbos but i don't what.

Wodjno
10-05-2013, 10:12 PM
my turbo/turbos are sounding like a slow police sciren when accelerate very slowly a wooo wooo. they have been like this for more than a year, and i have checked end play in the compressor wheel and i can't see any and i know there is no a boost leak because i check this regularly when i disconnect pipe work.

i am presuming there is some damage on the turbos but i don't what.

Mine have been doing it for over 4 years /yes

Davezj
10-05-2013, 10:20 PM
yeh i am not too bothered i have some spare sets for when these eventually go bang.

Evolved
10-05-2013, 10:26 PM
im guessing your talking about something other than the standard whistle of the spool..

its a noise over the top of that right?

ianb
12-05-2013, 01:11 AM
What you describe sounds a bit like I had 3 years ago, no noise normal gentle driving, came on with hard throttle, Ben thought it was my rear turbo going, turned out it was some O rings on the boost pipes leaking under pressure, Cost a couple of pounds for the rings, but garage took 1.5 hrs to fit them at my local Mitsi Ralliart centre!!

elnevio
14-05-2013, 08:58 PM
It's the sound of your wallet clenching as the fuel economy drops through the floor!! :D /rally

Davezj
14-05-2013, 10:55 PM
im guessing your talking about something other than the standard whistle of the spool..

its a noise over the top of that right?

yes over and above normal turbo spool.
this is low speed 10mph trundling down the road just after start up.

richy rich
15-05-2013, 03:29 PM
No mine is instead of turbo whistle.

richy rich
20-05-2013, 11:25 AM
I think I've sussed mine the bolt that holds the y pipe to front turbo is missing because the thread is no good so maybe air passing o ring ill get some new o rings and retap/ helli coil front tub and see if that sorts it.
HJM used to run with this bolt out (due to broken casting) for years but I do remember his car sounding the same.

bungle
02-01-2015, 06:11 PM
Hi. Did you ever resolve this issue as I get the same kind of noise when I floor it. At first I thought it was wheel spin. Is it possible the noise could be coming from a hole in the flexi?

bungle
04-01-2015, 05:18 PM
Bump

Nick Mann
04-01-2015, 07:45 PM
I can't offer much insight other than I know Rich now believes that his rear turbo seal is worn and passing oil. I have no idea if it is related.

Xaxasv6
29-05-2015, 06:30 AM
I got the same sound too. If i accellerate slightly, i hear this strange spooling Sound. The Sound comes with 2.5 / 3 " Downpipe. Strange....