PDA

View Full Version : Roof rails

Neil1985
10-05-2013, 08:48 PM
I was thinking about buying some standard roof rails. They didnt have any as stock but was wondering does any one know if you can fit roof rails to a legnum easy?

Are there location holes under the rubber seals already?

GalantOnly
10-05-2013, 09:08 PM
easy?

No

holes under the rubber seals already?

No :)

Wodjno
10-05-2013, 09:13 PM
No

Can be done?

Yes!

Neil1985
10-05-2013, 09:36 PM
It was just a thought. If it was a simple job id go for it. But don't really want to mess about with it.

Atik
10-05-2013, 11:46 PM
I think its a relatively easy operation, provided you have some knowledge of stripping the interior and have the right tools. If you dont, its a tough job and could end up time-consuming.

In its basic form - if you pull away the inside plastics around the door, it will let you get access to pulling the roof lining away. Pull off the roof lining, and you should see the mounting points where the roof rail bolts attach. Drill the necessary holes (three front, two middle and two rear I think) where there are indents already in the metal. Careful though as its the point of no return as you will end up with a hole in the roof! Then smooth down the new holes, apply copious amount of anti-rust coatings and fit the new rails. Refit interior and jobs your Bob's uncle or something or other.

:D

See, not that hard /lol

GalantOnly
11-05-2013, 12:36 AM
Can be undone?

GalantOnly
11-05-2013, 12:39 AM
its a tough job and could end up time-consuming

Yes /yes

See, not that hard

No see :)

GalantOnly
11-05-2013, 12:45 AM
You'll have to strip the entire interior down. It means down to the safety belts at the front, sun visors, interior lamps, A-pillar cover (chance for breaking it 99%), B-pillar cover (chance for breaking it 50%) and the whole luggage compartment must get out of the car...

See, not that hard (for me and other hard guys from the club) /lol

sonicsoundzdj
11-05-2013, 12:48 AM
I have a set of estate rails for sale if you plan to go ahead with it. It wasnt that hard remving them, never tried fitting a set though

Neil1985
11-05-2013, 01:37 AM
I think its a relatively easy operation, provided you have some knowledge of stripping the interior and have the right tools. If you dont, its a tough job and could end up time-consuming.

In its basic form - if you pull away the inside plastics around the door, it will let you get access to pulling the roof lining away. Pull off the roof lining, and you should see the mounting points where the roof rail bolts attach. Drill the necessary holes (three front, two middle and two rear I think) where there are indents already in the metal. Careful though as its the point of no return as you will end up with a hole in the roof! Then smooth down the new holes, apply copious amount of anti-rust coatings and fit the new rails. Refit interior and jobs your Bob's uncle or something or other.

:D

See, not that hard /lol

I thought it would be a strip down job. Hopefully there are indents in the roof where they would be if they were ordered when car was in the factory being manufactured.

My only worry would be messing it up. But I don't use the car during the week so wouldn't hurt if it took a weekend. Or 2 or 3.

Neil1985
11-05-2013, 01:37 AM
I have a set of estate rails for sale if you plan to go ahead with it. It wasnt that hard remving them, never tried fitting a set though

How much would you be looking for the rails?

sonicsoundzdj
11-05-2013, 01:58 AM
Pm'ed :)

gazmk2
11-05-2013, 10:18 AM
How much interior would I need to take off in order to tighten the rails up? I gave mine a random wobble the other day on they felt like the bolts needed tightening up.

MarkSanne
11-05-2013, 10:51 AM
Gary, read Alex' post. It's nothing complicated but it sure is a lot of work! To do it without breaking or damaging anything I'd say all and all just tightening them up would be several hours. If you'd have to mount them 'fresh' certainly more. Personally never liked the look of them and I was very happy with the smooth long roof line of our Legnum (RIP), which made it look lower (that's always good in my book).

Neil1985
11-05-2013, 12:42 PM
I totally agree with the look without the rails. Does give it a more slick look. Not sure if its worth the hassle and risk of damaging things.

Scanny
19-05-2013, 02:47 PM
i never used them on the V6 and prefer the look of the VR4 without them

Pugme
20-05-2013, 12:23 AM
rather random that this thread is here, was discussing my roof rails earlier with my housemate, is there many varieties of cross bars that can be had, as i will possibly need a bike rack thingy in the not too distant future, but was wondering whats out there, that doesnt look too hideous

anyone got any pics or links? please