PDA

View Full Version : New Member, need advice asap 6a13tt transfer case and diff issue

javs
15-05-2013, 05:33 AM
hey people never used a forum before but am unable to work this out myself,

i have a 1997 vr4 galant, blew up the transfer case and centre diff pretty bad, was hoping someone could inform me if i could use a tiptronic transfer case, diff and half shaft or if the ratios are different. At the moment i have been quoted 700 to rebuild diff and 700 for new manual transfer case. I know someone who has a tiptronic transfer case for 120.

all advice much appreciated!!

scott.mohekey
15-05-2013, 05:42 AM
If it's the 5 speed tiptronic, then I believe the transfer case is the same. As for the center diff, are you referring to the one in the gearbox itself? If so, I very much doubt an auto one would fit.

elnevio
15-05-2013, 05:52 AM
Yes, the diff in the transfer case is the front diff. If that's the one that's bust, then manual and auto VR-4 transfer cases are interchangeable.

javs
15-05-2013, 06:21 AM
cheers,

Yeh theres the front diff which is inbuilt into the side of the gearbox, then a shaft runs through the diff into the transfer case, im getting the diff rebuilt. But i need to buy a transfer case and layshaft/half shaft because it twisted and cracked.

So you believe the tiptronic transfer case and layshaft(half shaft) will interchange with my manual one despite the fact im getting the diff rebuilt?

scott.mohekey
15-05-2013, 06:37 AM
The front diff is in the transfer case. The center diff is in the side of the gearbox. The layshaft goes from the front diff in the transfer case to the inner spider joint of the left axle. If you get an automatic transfer case it will bolt right up to the gearbox, however an automatic layshaft is about 10mm longer than a manual one, and can cause sealing problems where the inner spider joint of the left axle meets the gearbox.

Bender
15-05-2013, 07:19 AM
Welcome to clubvr4

Nick Mann
15-05-2013, 08:03 AM
The centre diff in the gearbox is also the same between auto and manual, just the final drive gear that is bolted to it needs swapping.

javs
22-05-2013, 09:16 AM
Ahh ok well ive had the centre diff in the gearbox rebuilt for $600 nz, but i need to buy a new transfer case, my vr4 is manual so all parts i have are manual except the transfer case is coming from a tiptronic one so am hoping all will be bolt up ok... Do you guys know if legnums and galants are the same in terms of gbox mounts, gbox, transfer etc?

SEAN-NZ
22-05-2013, 09:39 AM
no reason for them to be different, as far as i know, my transfer case came from an auto, and i have a manual gearbox, went in fine

elnevio
22-05-2013, 02:29 PM
And yes, no difference between Legnum and Galant mounts.

Davezj
22-05-2013, 05:57 PM
i have a question, how is the center diff in the gearbox and the front diff is in the transfer case.

i was always lead to believe that the center diff was in the trasfer case, like the ACD of the EVO 9 and 10.

http://www.mitsubishi-motors.com/en/spirit/technology/library/acd.html

http://www.mitsubishi-motors.com/en/spirit/technology/library/s-awc.html

scott.mohekey
23-05-2013, 08:49 AM
There are three shafts that go between the gearbox and the transfer case. Two of them are outputs from the center diff in the gearbox (the two outer shafts), while the third is the output from the front diff in the transfer case to the left axle (the lay shaft). One of the outputs from the center diff drives the front diff, while the other is turned 90 degrees and sent out the back of the transfer case to the rear diff.

lathiat
23-05-2013, 05:29 PM
All Mitsubishi AWD systems are the same BTW. Evo 8-9 included.

There are literally 3 separate shafts all spinning on the 1 axis inside of each other, front, rear, passengers side. drivers side comes out the right hand side obviously :)

Can confirm:
Gearbox: Center Diff
Transfer Case: Front Diff

The transfer case essentially acts as both the front diff, and a right hand corner for the rear power.

Davezj
23-05-2013, 10:11 PM
I am only curious as all the diagram I have poste up show the active centre diff in the transfer case.
I am not disputing that you know how the vr4 drive system works, I was just questioning the diagrams.
I am presuming the evo system work in the same was ours.l

scott.mohekey
23-05-2013, 11:05 PM
There's a viscous coupling linking the front and rear outputs of the center diff in the transfer case. On ACD models, this viscous coupling is computer controllable, much the same as the AYC. This is probably what they're referring to.

Davezj
24-05-2013, 06:50 AM
Ah, yes that is probably it, that makes sense Scott.

Thank for the update, I forgot about the viscous coupler, ours is just passive so is largely forgotten about.

javs
29-05-2013, 02:06 AM
cheers dudes