PDA

View Full Version : Aerial - new head unit

434po1
16-05-2013, 07:56 AM
Hi guys

I have just fitted a new head unit into the legnum, but I'm having an issue with the aerial cable. First of all should there be two aerial cables one with a small end and one standard size, now I can only locate the small size aerial cable. But the head unit only has the standard size aerial hole, is there an adaptor that I can purchase?

Many thanks

Kevin

elnevio
16-05-2013, 08:15 AM
Yes, the two aerials are for the diversity FM aerial set-up. They lead to the two aerials built into the glass in each rear quarter window.

Normally, just the one gets plugged in with a normal head unit (and yes, you guessed it's the one with the larger 'normal' aerial connection). Unfortunately, this does mean that the reception isn't quite as good, but there is supposedly a power lead near the aerial leads that you can power up and it boosts the signal - I've not tried that yet though.

Not sure how easy it is to find an adaptor, as the smaller connector's relative rarity mean any parts would be difficult to obtain.

Gingerfish
16-05-2013, 10:15 AM
I've fitted a few car stereo's to the various vehicles I've owned and come accross the different size connections.

AFAIK there are a few different aerial adaptors (havn't come accross one specific to Mitsy) and I've found all of them to be of a universal fitment. In the past I have always been able to source the extra connector at an outlet such as Halfords.

It *should* be a case of finding the little adaptor that slides onto the existing fitment to allow connection into the new stereo.

exevoowner
17-05-2013, 02:41 PM
Try looking on your old unit lol most of mine have had 2 ariels the car i have now has 3 one for radio one for sat nav and a tv powered one there are 2 for the radio as nev said with a little wire bound to it

434po1
22-05-2013, 11:16 PM

Thanks for all of the advice guys, after I pulled the unit back out and ripped out all a whole load of wiring and junk from the old system. Once it was all cleared out I located the other normal sized aerial cable, but as u guys said the reception sucks!

I had ordered some replacement trim (in black) to replace the wood trim, plus the climate control fittings were all bust.

So what's the best way to increase the reception?

Cheers

Kevin

John TheAntique
23-05-2013, 12:12 AM
Have you powered up the boost as Nev said, it makes all the difference.