PDA

View Full Version : Good evening all

Jsa274
29-05-2013, 08:08 PM
Hello everyone, good to see a forum specifically for Galants!

I'm from the central belt of Scotland, and have loved Galants and Mitsubishis in particular since I was 12, the Evo 6, 3000GT and (more realistically achievable) the Galant.

Now I have the means, I'm out to buy one. Ideally a 2.0 Classic saloon - the nice styling but with less hefty insurance or fuel costs! Also more interested in the later models, 2001-03 roughly. I'd stretch to a 2.4 if necessary

My observations from the used ads I've seen is that they are very sparse. Also I've noticed that some are for sale for silly money, ie less than £1000. While they are understated cars with lower residuals, even Galants must surely be knackered for that money?

I will be trawling the selling guides and technical issues to look for, in the mean time I look forward to seeing pics of your own Galants :2thumbsup

Cheers

Jamie

Nick Mann
29-05-2013, 09:21 PM
/Welcome
Like all cars there are bargains and lemons out there. Good luck with your search. :)

elnevio
29-05-2013, 09:36 PM
/Welcome

I would consider getting a 2.5 V6. The difference in running costs is marginal and you get a much smoother and torquey engine than either of the two four-pots.

TAR
29-05-2013, 09:52 PM
welcome to the forum. There are a few Galant owners on here who are sure to share their experiences with you.

:happy:

wolfd89
29-05-2013, 10:11 PM
I agree with Nev. my non turbo legnum gets better fuel millage than my old accord did. If you want to go crazy overboard however there are 2.0L 6 cylinder engines available in some of the import legnums. not sure if there would be any kicking around over there though. cheers

Davezj
29-05-2013, 10:38 PM
there have been a couple of rough galants that have gone on ebay for less than £300 if the car you buy need certain parts maybe a ripped interior, dented bonnet, boot lid, wings or doors consider buying a parts car to get your parts once you get yours fixed up with genuine parts off a doner and then scrap the doner.
why spend a fortune on a perfect car go for one with some fixable issues.

Jsa274
30-05-2013, 07:21 PM
Thank you all for your advice, I've spied a few potential buys in various places! I can see the point of having a 'Christmas tree' to just pick bits off when required, storage might be a problem at the moment though living in a flat.

How plentiful are spare parts for Galant saloons these days, e.g. Body panels suspension parts and engine parts? Are they mainly to be found in scrapyards or are genuine parts still made?

Nick Mann
30-05-2013, 09:38 PM
Service items are easy. Most genuine parts are available, although some are a 2 week special order. Body panels are often plentiful on the second hand market - occasionally even in the right colour!

Bender
01-06-2013, 09:03 PM
Welcome to clubvr4

666damned
11-06-2013, 05:30 PM
hi and welcome.......

Scanny
19-06-2013, 01:45 PM
i have most of a V6 estate on my driveway so there are plenty of spares available not too far away

plus i have upgraded one engine at a time, the first 2 being saloons and the second 2 being estates. avoid the 2.4 and pick up a manual 2001 to 2003 manual 2.5 V6 estate for around a grand. fuel consumption is hardly noticeable between the 2.0 and 2.5 V6 but performance is and the V6 growl sounds awesome. i guarantee that you will not be disappointed by choosing the V6 over the 2.0