PDA

View Full Version : Help needed

Fatty
10-06-2013, 05:12 PM
Hi Guys, i potentially need a rear diff for my 99FL.

I say potentially as i am not 100%, i was driving the other day and heard a funny noise from what sounded like the transfer box and then shortly after it started to bind and grind before i ditched it and got it recovered to my mates garage. The noise was from the front and as the gearbox selected all the gears and seemed to operate independently from the noise and when in neutral it was VERY hard to push so i came to the conclusion that it was the transfer box!

So i found a transfer box from an evo 6 rs and today removed the old one from the car to refit the rs one, however once the old one was of the car and on the floor it didnt seem too bad!

I then noticed 2 things and would like people opinion

1. There was a fair amount of play on the shaft that comes from the gearbox that fits inside the transfer case once fitted back up, everything spins freely and all the bearings seem to be intact and in place.

Is this normal?

2. Once i had the front half of the prop out a mate of mine who was doing his best to say out the way was rotating the rear half of the prop and i noticed there was quite a bit of play before the drive shafts turned and felt a little notchy but still turned the wheels!

Should there be any play or should it turn straight away?

Basically i am now concerned that it is the rear diff and not the transfer box or maybe the front diff in the gearbox? If the transfer box was fubard would it be obvious once it was off the car?

Also it is worth saying that the car is still on the ramp as i still need to fit a new down pipe that i will collecting from chris later this evening and a new os lower arm as the ball joint has seen better days so will no for sure it is fixed or not when it is all back together tomorrow but i really dont think it is the transfer case and would like to know what people think?

Nick Mann
10-06-2013, 05:37 PM
It's difficult to say. Why not put it back together and see?
If the shaft with play is the solid shaft then yes, that is normal.

Gly
11-06-2013, 04:07 AM
drain the oil from the gearbox/trans/rear diff

you can easily tell which has run a bearing or broken some teeth