PDA

View Full Version : help with radio aerial

SEAN-NZ
12-06-2013, 05:31 AM
so i decided to see if i can fix the shocking reception in the legnum by connecting the power wire to the plug on the aerial wire, from what i read in another thread it should fix the reception, but i noticed something a bit odd, a bunch of electrical tape wrapped around the wires just before where the aerial plug goes into head unit, so i took it off, this is what i found

i guess i need to reconect the white wires, but i dont know about the purple wire and the exposed copper from the other wire.

im guessing that the power is meant to go to the white plug in the second picture?

SEAN-NZ
12-06-2013, 06:47 AM
seems i fixed it, just connected the inner wires together, and the outer wires together, plus putting power wire into the plug, so far so good, finally have decent reception

crazydriver81
12-06-2013, 08:33 AM
seems i fixed it, just connected the inner wires together, and the outer wires together, plus putting power wire into the plug, so far so good, finally have decent reception

Normally there are two aerial plugs in our cars, due to a diversity antenna setup. I'd assume someone wanted to have bost antennas connected and did this crappy cable job. Glad you have sorted it mate.

Btw, you have just added +12V to the connector of the white plug? Seems to be the antenna amplifier is working now. :)

SEAN-NZ
12-06-2013, 09:48 AM
there was just the one plug that goes to head unit, connected the antenna power wire that comes off head unit to white plug, will see tomorrow how effective my efforts have been, i think just tidying up the antenna wires helped a fair bit, but not sure

swinks
13-06-2013, 07:51 AM
Sean, you have to do it again. Pretty sure you messed up a bit as well ;)
For start.
1. Coaxial aerial cable is build for purpose with main signal wire and shield of "earth" around (tried to put in words for better understanding). Anyway, once sheld is disrupted it looses its anti-noise purpose. So I'd would recommend just to cut aerial cable where it was messed and fit new aerial plug there.

2. White plug for aerial amplifier feed next to aerial can't be connected with headunit "antenna/aerial" signal. It's because in-car aerial requires constant 12v live, where headunit "antenna" feed is for automatic motorized aerials (like in Galant n/a saloon), and is live only after switching radio to rise up aerial, and after switchin off radio to fold down aerial. In other words, headunit "antenna/aerial" signal is for different purpose, it's for motorized aerials. :)
For best results just provide to white plug of your aerial any swutched +12v feed (ACC), and it will be fine.

SEAN-NZ
14-06-2013, 12:58 AM
thanks for the info, il change the wire going to the antenna plug when i can be bothered lol, explains why it didnt make a difference when i had the wire connected or disconnected, probably wont change the actual antenna plug, because im lazy lol, and i dont use the radio that much anyway, it is much better now than it was anyway, just little extra static occasionally

wintertidenz
14-06-2013, 10:07 AM
Sorry for the hijack... but where exactly is the antenna amplifier located? I don't think I have ever seen it in my car - I did find some plugs down the back of the car though that looked like they once went to a factory CD changer.

SEAN-NZ
15-06-2013, 05:02 AM
all i know is that the plug for antenna power is near the head unit end of the cable, someone might be able to be more specific