PDA

View Full Version : creaking

Scanny
13-06-2013, 06:29 PM
the nearside track rod end was identified as the creaking that i have been hearing for a while now. both of them have been replaced along with track rods and gaitors. the creaking is back after only 2 days and only a few miles driving. any ideas?

adaxo
13-06-2013, 06:33 PM
lower suspension arm, put foot on the brake and turn wheels from lock to lock if you hear cracking/grinding (like old ships do at movies) then your straight lower arms are on the way to go

Scanny
13-06-2013, 07:54 PM
lower suspension arm, put foot on the brake and turn wheels from lock to lock if you hear cracking/grinding (like old ships do at movies) then your straight lower arms are on the way to go

they were upgraded to poly bush arms from ayebalpauls car in november. it might be worth putting the old ones back on though. they were done by the previous owner and the curved arms were replaced with new 2 weeks ago

adaxo
13-06-2013, 08:17 PM
what, I think, creaking is ball joint side of arm not rubber/poly side

paulbonner84
13-06-2013, 09:06 PM
it could be the top mount creaking due to ball joint worn ,changed the ball joint and top mount and no more creaking to date done over 1000 miles since done

Scanny
13-06-2013, 09:14 PM
it could be the top mount creaking due to ball joint worn ,changed the ball joint and top mount and no more creaking to date done over 1000 miles since done
these?
http://www.camskill.co.uk/m22b0s1403p52005/MITSUBISHI_OE_GENUINE_PARTS_SERVICING_PARTS_TUNING _SPARES_and_SERVICE_ACCESSORIES_-_Front_Strut_Top_-_Complete_-_Mitsubishi_Legnum_VR4_and_Galant_VR4_-_EC5W_EC5A

paulbonner84
13-06-2013, 09:21 PM
yep replaced that and ball joint on straight arm all fine now

Scanny
17-06-2013, 08:23 AM
update and history on this issue
the pattern seems to be the suspension settling. the car was on a 2 post ramp to get work done a while back (2/3 months) and this started after that. the curved arms were replaced and hubs 2 weeks ago and the car was perfect with no squeaks, creaks or rattles then it came back after a couple of days. it was identified as track rod end at the time though but to be fair, he would struggle to identify a problem that only occurs after a few days and not when the suspension is uncompressed
last week both track rods, track rod ends and anti roll bar bushes were replaced. noise gone! after the first journey to work the creaking came back. on the return journey i listed to the direction and it seems to be from higher rather than lower. the steering is getting pretty bad too and there is wobbling under braking. i thought the nearside front wheel was about to come off last night, i checked the nuts this morning and they are all tight

the main pattern seems to be the suspension settling. once its been off the deck, its fine, after a couple of days this problem returns and is getting worse

Scanny
17-06-2013, 02:29 PM
the garage have come back with a goosed lateral arm and did say there isnt much left to replace