PDA

View Full Version : First track day. Any tips???

Bender
18-06-2013, 06:47 AM
So I'm doing my first ever track day, any tips or advice people able to give me or share? :)

Going to Pukekone raceway on the 7th of July.

Spectators are free and allowed people in the car on track with anyone interested coming down a look and maybe ride around the track(just need a helmet)

Chris.W
18-06-2013, 07:07 AM
Don't crash!

Haha seriously tho, take it easy to start with. Resist the urge to just put the boot in and drop the hammer, regardles of how quick everyone else is. No one will critasize you for taking your time first time out.
Set a sensible pace and use a few laps to get a feel for the track. Once you are confident or feeling a little braver, stretch the pace a little, graduly picking up speed each lap.

My first track day, I went balls deep too early and as a result spun out twice in the same session earning me a black flag. The first spin found me sliding backwards across the grass at about 70mph with the armco 3 feet to my left.

It's always good to give the car the once over before you go. Condition of tires (tread, preassure & possibly tracking) and breaks (disks, decent pads & quality fluid), after all you want to be able to stop and not slide off the track. Make sure you have plenty of good quality oil in your engine and let it warm up before venturing out on to the track. You need to know your engine is in good health because you dont want it to go pop on track.

Again with the taking it easy as tires work better when warm so a slow couple of laps will help here. Have a good look and make sure notning is going to fall off, last thing you want is to be responsible for someone elses damage because you forgot to check everything was bolted on propperly (wheels included).

Finally, relax, learn your & cars limits and just have fun.

Sure someone else will be along shortly to give you more.

dixon8
18-06-2013, 07:31 AM
I remember my first experience on the track too. was a BMW driver training day on the Taupo track.
my heart was beating REAL fast when waiting for the start. I think maybe just rem;)ember to take it easy as it's your first time. be sure to keep an eye on your rear vision mirror for faster cars.
it's up to them to pass safely but just take your time familarising in the first laps. :)

Nick Mann
18-06-2013, 07:39 AM
Fluids, especially sure the engine oil is on the max mark, not the min. Plenty of brake pad friction material. If you want to protect your tyres a little then increase the pressure by about 4 psi.

All the above advice is good, remember that it is not a race as that can cause all sorts of issues.

Bender
18-06-2013, 08:23 AM
Thanks Chris, Dixon and Nick.. :)

The car will be getting good check out the day before along with oil and filter getting replace, spark plugs and few other things. Will have look at the brake pads( has ebc performance pads) will be putting my evo rims back on what has near new falken ze912 tyres. Have always run 38psi in them.

Will be taking it easy for first few laps before starting giving it the beans :D

CANDEE
18-06-2013, 08:59 AM
Those pads will be fine if they still have lots of life in them. I ran them(my own set ;)) on my last track day and only cooked them as I was pushing it a bit hard(and manfield is hard on brakes).

Use the first sessions to familiarise yourself with the track and your car, and be mindful of the faster cars around you.

I normally go off line and then hold off feeding it throttle on the straights to let them though, much nicer to let them through than them forcing the issue. On our first track day we had a really slow guy in a vintage Porsche that everyone was passing, and he wasnt watching where people were and started coming over on me on the kink of the main straight, think he got a fright there.

Also dont underestimate the other cars out there, expecially if a certain silver Lotus Exige with the plate Sexige turns up... He can smash Porsche's, Ferrari's, Lambo's etc. Also if any of the Honda Cup cars turn up... ;)

Just remember its supposed to be fun, not a race so just drive to your limits and have fun. :)

Bender
18-06-2013, 09:56 AM
Cheers Jeremy.

I'm going to have fun and learn how drive the car better and really get a feel of how great it could handle.

If i enjoy it, i will go back again for next one in September, it only $90 if you pay early and got the dyno run the week atfer the track day.. Can't wait :)

Yeah is more then few hondas coming along. Also is few gtr's and evos

Subaru ETA
18-06-2013, 09:56 AM
One big pointer - be careful of the bump coming on to the front straight!! It catches the best of drivers out. If you cock it up you will under steering into the outside barrier

Bender
18-06-2013, 09:59 AM
One big pointer - be careful of the bump coming on to the front straight!! It catches the best of drivers out. If you cock it up you will under steering into the outside barrier

Oh cool cheers for that, will keep on eye out for it.

Confused
18-06-2013, 10:49 AM
As others have said, make sure the car's in good condition, and just take it easy to start with, and build up slightly lap by lap as you understand how the car feels on the track. It's not a race, everyone is there to have a good time, and to drive their cars back home again safely in one piece!

And most importantly - have fun! :)

CANDEE
18-06-2013, 11:22 AM
Also remember that you have a big heavy car that takes more effort to do anything, so taking it easy is the key. :)

Adam.Findlay
18-06-2013, 12:31 PM
Bleed the brakes! check the pads and/or replace them with better pads. you will be surprised how quickly you will cook the stock brakes stopping a legnum from 200k.

Ive been through a set of front pads in one day before on the track.

next make sure you handbrake is adjusted correctly and functioning just incase you boil your fluid etc.

check engine, gearbox, transfercase, AYC/diff oils and coolant levels etc.

cant hurt to gap your plugs and clean/replace your air filter. also make sure you have an extinguisher in the car although thats usually a rule when going on the track.

as for the driving
stock vr4's are quite forgiving when exiting a corner can just stand on the gas, however thats not an excuse to go balls deep on the out lap. as every one else has said take it easy to start with and work your way up.
entering a corner however i found when my car was stock it understeered quite bad and the braking was poor so take it easy until you have a feel for braking distances and how fast you can enter each corner.
getting someone who knows the track to come with you and point out the lines is always very helpful.

When I have been out I notice a good difference when removing back seats, boot trim, spare wheel and that big plastic tray in the boot. (legnum) also a rear strut bar does a world of difference in a legnum!

and dont forget to keep an eye on the temp gauge! dont want to cook it

Nick Mann
18-06-2013, 02:08 PM
Slow in, fast out is the key in a VR4. The 4WD plus AYC is amazing in that situation.

I just thought that I should mention again not to worry about the speed of other cars. I have overtaken fire spitting GTRs on track and also been overtaken by a mk2 fiesta. You'll find quirky cars on track days as well as quirky drivers!

Subaru ETA
18-06-2013, 09:03 PM
Slow in, fast out is the key in a VR4. The 4WD plus AYC is amazing in that situation.

I just thought that I should mention again not to worry about the speed of other cars. I have overtaken fire spitting GTRs on track and also been overtaken by a mk2 fiesta. You'll find quirky cars on track days as well as quirky drivers!

Like the 1985 DX starlet I got passed in and I was in a Nz v8 touring car!!

Turned out it had a 3L turbo supra motor shoe horned into it

Bender
19-06-2013, 08:22 AM
Thanks guys for the tips and advice :)

dixon8
07-07-2013, 09:08 AM
hi how was trackday?

Bender
07-07-2013, 10:01 AM
Hi Dixon

It was awesome, I really enjoy myself, the car went pretty well and didn't have a single problem with it all day. Drove here and back. Used about 3/4 of tank to a 120kms.... But the car needs for power. Couldn't keep with some of the Honda's haha

And also i got to have ride in a 440kw rb26 Stagea..

Bender
07-07-2013, 10:21 AM
Here a little video of most of cars from the start

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKRHzlluQRc&feature=youtu.be

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbFfXNAOKXY&feature=youtu.be

Bender
07-07-2013, 10:47 AM
Leaving the pit's

Zitchu
13-07-2013, 12:42 AM
Here a little video of most of cars from the start

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKRHzlluQRc&feature=youtu.be

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbFfXNAOKXY&feature=youtu.be

Pretty decent looking line-up there. They just let everyone out at once?

Bender
13-07-2013, 01:39 AM
They will let so many cars out at once for 20-30 minutes then bring everyone in and start again.