PDA

View Full Version : Rear shock fitment info required

kiteman
20-06-2013, 04:08 PM
I am still having problems locating ride height adjustable rear shocks for my legnum,
Anywhere in Ireland I've tried, have no listing for the legnum, but the all ask the same question.
"Are the similar to any of the Evo models"
Does anyone know the answer to this question, please

kiteman
20-06-2013, 10:11 PM
Bump, anyone please

Chris.W
21-06-2013, 01:05 AM
Dont know lad, got mine sent over from japan. If it helps the shop try telling them its for a galant.

Davezj
21-06-2013, 07:51 AM
Evo shock will not fit legnum.

Are you replacing the spring and top mount as well?

If not then, do you have a spring compressor?
Theses are necessarily needed when changing coil overs height adjustable shocks, but can be useful.
If ou have them you can clamp the spring to take all the tention off the shock and top mount before doing the below.

You can separate shock from spring on you shock in the picture be just winding off the height adjuster locking nut on the shock body, then wind off the spring seat nut this will release any tension on the spring. The spring will come off the bottom of the shock in the sme direction as the nuts came off.
This is assuming the nuts and threads are not corroded and do still work.

Next get locking pliers/mole grips clamp them on the shock shaft, don't worry about damaging/making the shock shaft, as you replacing it. Wind off the nut on the top of the top mount remembering the way all the rubbers and washers come off.

Do the opposite to fit them, but use a bit off rubber between the locking pliers/mole grips and the shock shaft so you don't damage the surface of the shaft.

If the nuts are correded and can not wind off. Then fit spring compressor and go straight to removing the top mount.

kiteman
21-06-2013, 08:39 AM

Thanks for going to the trouble of explaining the disassembly etc Dave, but I'm beyond that at present.
I've been bringing the shock with me everywhere I go to show, as I would prefer to replace that only.
Anywhere I've been so far will gladly sell me complete coilovers, and its been suggested to me, Evo ones are a straight swop over.
Today I'm bringing the complete one from the opposite side to show what I need.

kiteman
21-06-2013, 06:33 PM
I think I'm sorted. I was put in touch with a breaker in the west of Ireland and after a brief chat he said he had a legnum with similar to what I'm after.
I sent him a photo with the measurement etc and he confirmed they are the same. He is sending the 2 of them to me monday morning.
Seems like a reasonable guy, if they're right I'm to send him €200, if not just send them back.

Wodjno
21-06-2013, 07:44 PM
I think I'm sorted. I was put in touch with a breaker in the west of Ireland and after a brief chat he said he had a legnum with similar to what I'm after.
I sent him a photo with the measurement etc and he confirmed they are the same. He is sending the 2 of them to me monday morning.
Seems like a reasonable guy, if they're right I'm to send him €200, if not just send them back.

Can't say fairer than that.. hope they fit dude /yes

Davezj
21-06-2013, 10:59 PM

Thanks for going to the trouble of explaining the disassembly etc Dave, but I'm beyond that at present.
I've been bringing the shock with me everywhere I go to show, as I would prefer to replace that only.
Anywhere I've been so far will gladly sell me complete coilovers, and its been suggested to me, Evo ones are a straight swop over.
Today I'm bringing the complete one from the opposite side to show what I need.

I thought it was an odd question from you tommie, i thought you were well beyond needing suspension dismantling info, but I posted it just in case.
Granny, eggs, do you swallow, hmm!!!!
A bit unessary, glad you got it sorted.

crazydriver81
22-06-2013, 09:23 PM
I am still having problems locating ride height adjustable rear shocks for my legnum,
Anywhere in Ireland I've tried, have no listing for the legnum, but the all ask the same question.
"Are the similar to any of the Evo models"
Does anyone know the answer to this question, please

To add the Info here:
The rear shock absorbers of any 8G Galant/Legnum will fit, regardless if 2WD or 4WD. Parts off a Eclipse 1995-1999 will fit as well.