PDA

View Full Version : New guy here

ts-fto
24-06-2013, 09:28 AM
Hi everyone im new on here. I own a FTO but looking to do the VR4 conversion very soon. Ive been having a look through the forum about the conversion but just have a couple of questions.

Intercooler: would a EVO8 FMIC be ok?
Im converting the FTO to manual but what clutch should I go for?
Im bypassing the aircon would the shorter ps belt from camskill be ok on the VR4 engine?
Do I use the FTO ECU or the VR4 one?

Thanks

Jay

Atik
24-06-2013, 10:18 AM
Welcome to the Club.

There are a few others who have done this conversion who may be able to answer your questions in detail

But I think as long as you have the space and pipework you can fit an Evo 8 FMIC. The VR4 can take a 600x300 with minor modification so anything smaller that should go on pretty easy.

If you want to retain daily drivability, then a basic but slightly uprated clutch is fine. If you are chasing BIG power, then the worl is your oyster. Evo clutches fit (with the use of a Nick Mann adaptor). I have an Exedy Evo clutch on my Legnum and its very drivable and bites really well.

Not much help on the belt question I'm afraid and I would suspect with the new engine going in, you'd need the VR4 ECU as the V6 engine wont communicate with the FTO ECU.

Bender
24-06-2013, 10:28 AM
Welcome to clubvr4

Gly
25-06-2013, 01:30 AM
If you want to retain daily drivability, then a basic but slightly uprated clutch is fine. If you are chasing BIG power, then the worl is your oyster. Evo clutches fit (with the use of a Nick Mann adaptor). I have an Exedy Evo clutch on my Legnum and its very drivable and bites really well.

not in his case, since he will be using a fwd fto or galant v6 box,
it uses a smaller push type clutch setup,

i beleive the evo1-3 clutch kits should bolt up directly no mods.

there are uprated FTO kits out there aswell

oh and you have to use the VR4 ecu, try find the 7202 or 7203 chiped ones as they can be reflashed/tuned.

ts-fto
25-06-2013, 08:48 AM
thank you for the welcome and the information, Ive tried searching on the forum for the wiring manual but cant find it anywhere?

Davezj
25-06-2013, 01:33 PM
hi and welcome to the club.
you will like it here, we are a friendly bunch.

Atik
25-06-2013, 03:38 PM
not in his case, since he will be using a fwd fto or galant v6 box,
it uses a smaller push type clutch setup,

i beleive the evo1-3 clutch kits should bolt up directly no mods.

Thanks Carsten, forgot about that little fact! The amount of V6 gearboxes Richard Batty went through, lol

Jay, please ignore the clutch bit from my earlier reply :)