PDA

View Full Version : Brembo Upgrade

Sulli
31-01-2005, 04:27 AM
Which Evo model standard Brembo front brakes, will fit straight onto my VR4?

Roadrunner
31-01-2005, 09:52 AM
IIRC, you have a 2000 VR-4, so the change is relatively easy.

Brembo calipers and discs from an Evo V, VI or VII (maybe also an VIII, but I don't know for sure) will fit straight on.

The 330mm discs fit on the hubs, the Brembo calipers fit perfectly on the standard brackets. The disc back plates had to be removed but this doesn't cause any problem - the track rod ends are about 40mm away from the discs and it's usually these that need to be protected from the heat of the discs. You will need 17" wheels to clear the calipers (I fitted wheels from an Evo 7) and, if you're not using Evo wheels, check that the wheels will clear the calipers because the Brembo calipers are HUGE - there's very little room (<5mm) between the caliper and the wheel. But they do look good :cool: and they work!

If you're fitting rears as well, you can either fit the Evo Brembo calipers on the VR-4 standard (284mm) discs and accept that the pads overlap the edge of the discs, or you can fit the Evo 302mm discs. If the latter, you'll need to cut away part of the disc backplate (you can't remove it like the fronts because the handbrake mechanism is integral to it).

Cheers,
Brian

Sulli
31-01-2005, 02:03 PM
Thanks Brian.
Yes mine's an MY2000 - it's not something i'm looking at doing immediately, as new discs and pads were fitted just vefore I bought it last month, but seeing all the stories of warped discs etc I thought i'd best keep my eye out, and now I know what I need hopefully a bargain will come my way pover the next 6 months.
Brembos should fit OK I would think under my 18" BBS rims.
Stu