PDA

View Full Version : Need help/advice.

Pombloke
27-06-2013, 04:37 AM
Have had my 1997 Legnum VR4 approx 6yrs now, has run sweet until recently./help/Fever Whirring/whining noise coming from area of timing and alternator belts. All belts appear intact. Noise does increase in pitch as engine is revved & falls again as engine falls back to idle. There is no discernable change in the vehicles performance. The timing belt is due for a change. Could it be the belts, belt wheels or even one of the turbos? Any ideas what it might be and will it be an expensive fix? Ta.

Subaru ETA
27-06-2013, 05:54 AM
Pull the drive belts off and start it up first. If it is goes away then start looking at idlers, tensioners and pulleys

Bender
27-06-2013, 06:58 AM
Welcome to clubvr4

Nick Mann
27-06-2013, 01:01 PM
/Welcome

I agree with David. Pull the accessory belts off and then see if it still does it. That will narrow down if it is the alternator/power steering/air con or one of the associated tensioners. Everything else there runs off the cambelt, so it is no big deal if you need to do the belt anyway.

Davezj
27-06-2013, 01:10 PM
yes agree with above accessory belts off first.

if you can't take the accessory belts off yourself then probably some unscrupulous garage will do it for you, but they will pull your pants down and........ /woot/woot/wootwell i had better stop there. lets just say it will cost you a lot. why, because they can, as you have just proved you know nothing about mechanics./boxing
or you could get one the local members to take a look.;)
but i hope you can wave a spanner in anger./GJ

by the way welcome to the club./welcome3

Pombloke
27-06-2013, 11:48 PM
Cheers for the advice guys. Did drop by my local grease monkey & yep he surely did quote a daft amount/pale.... tho' he did nothing to my pants, I still feel he is ready to rape my bank account/JawDroppi. The timing belt is due anyway, so two birds with one stone I suppose/thankyou