PDA

View Full Version : rebuilding tein coilovers (on the cheap:)

-=white-zombie=-
02-07-2013, 12:27 PM
hey all
I have a set of tein coilovers 'low down spec cool style master- wagons" on my legnum, had them on since I got the car a year ago, they seem a bit soft kinda like standard shocks, maybe theyre ment to be this soft I dunno, so was looking at rebuilding them myself and maybe that would stiffen them up a bit.. I rang a place in NZ that rebuilds teins and they want around $250 per shock, new seals and oil/gas... fark that I say..
ive read up on quite a few forums where people just strip down and clean up all the seals or replace (orings) if worn put about 3/4 full Castrol fork oil (10w oil) in their shocks, and not even regassing them as the gas is only added to prevent oil frothing perhaps, I duno..
but I might give it a go on the front shocks and if it works do all of them...
anyone else done this reoil before on coilovers??

cheers
ian

Gly
03-07-2013, 01:24 AM
the gas is there for saftey/handling, yes it does keep the oil from foaming, because if its starts to foam the shock will start to degrade,
and your back to having the same **** handing.

so whats the point in doing a half arsed job on something that plays a huge part in keeping you on the road.

ive experienced shocks that where rebuilt poorly. **** that never again.
pay the money for someone that can do the job properly

-=white-zombie=-
03-07-2013, 01:35 AM
yeah I hear ya and agree it should be done properly... I'm wondering if its even worth fixing these shocks as they are pretty soft as standard, gives a real smooth ride but when you wanna go around corners their;s a lot of body roll, so I may just look at something else...

Gly
03-07-2013, 04:13 AM
TBH, there the lowest spec AFAIK and not performance orientated,

id move them on a buy something better/newer

scott.mohekey
03-07-2013, 05:39 AM
Yeah, they're not designed for sport or any sort of racing. They're merely to enable you to lower the car and be able to adjust the damper (ever so slightly).

-=white-zombie=-
03-07-2013, 08:03 AM
nah these don't even have damper adjust on them, just ride height adjustment, theyr the basic model here's a pic

scott.mohekey
03-07-2013, 08:38 AM
Yeah, they're designed to be a height adjustable replacement for stock shocks. So they're very soft compared to what you'd normally expect with aftermarket shocks.