PDA

View Full Version : Midlands Mini-Meet!

Nick Mann
31-01-2005, 08:46 PM
I thought a midlands meet would be a good idea. There seem to be as many new faces in the midlands as old ones, so numbers could be good enough to fill a small pub!

I think March would be a good time - snow on the ground, salt on the road, warm food in a warm pub!!

Please post if you are interested and or have dates that you prefer or can't do. I think the venue can be decided at a later date, but will not be outside the circle of Redditch, Rugby, Nottingham and Stoke! Hopefully we can all put some new faces to old names!

And of course regions outside of the midlands are welcome to come along - we have a couple of bedrooms if anyone wants to travel and stop somewhere!

So please get your names, dates and any venue ideas down below!
__________________________________________________ ___________

EDIT:

Attendess:

Nick Mann
Interlec
Jimbo
Brunty
bernmc
BDA
ColV6Sport
Kieran
psbarham
Pezza
Bal

Possibles:

Red/Rally205
Vector

Venue Ideas:

Donnington (Most popular)
Coleshill

SGHOM
31-01-2005, 08:50 PM
:wavey:

Jimbo
31-01-2005, 09:24 PM
Yeah I'd be up for a spot of pub grub and a bit of tyre kicking session, count me in :)

Brunty
31-01-2005, 10:32 PM
'spose I'll have to wash the car and put my CVR4 sticker in the window now (lazy - moi?). Certainly be nice to get to meet a few of you, especially after all the advice I've enjoyed.

Won't be able to attend between 4th and 13th unfortunately.

Steve

bernmc
01-02-2005, 01:47 AM
As late as possible in the month 4 me - I might be lucky and have my piggin car by then!

enigma
01-02-2005, 08:46 AM
me, me, me!

Perhaps we could have it at my house and we could blitz the bathroom :lipsrseal :$

colVR4
01-02-2005, 10:43 AM
Happy to attend, although late in the month would be good for me too

Kieran
01-02-2005, 03:43 PM
:wavey:

Nick Mann
01-02-2005, 10:06 PM
Okay, lets start firming things up. Late in the month? How about 31st! [edit..... this date is pants - see below!] Saturday or sunday? (Or both!)

I guess Saturday would be better for people travelling distance, but sod 'em, this is a midlands meet!!

Shall I start the list?

Nick Mann
Interlec
Jimbo
Brunty
bernmc
BDA
ColV6Sport
Kieran

Thats 8 so far!!

psbarham
01-02-2005, 10:46 PM
yeh why not put me down as well

Nick Mann
01-02-2005, 10:50 PM
Nick Mann
Interlec
Jimbo
Brunty
bernmc
BDA
ColV6Sport
Kieran
psbarham

Thats 9.........

Any more? Heh - this is still almost two months away!

pezza
02-02-2005, 11:26 AM
Nick Mann
Interlec
Jimbo
Brunty
bernmc
BDA
ColV6Sport
Kieran
psbarham

Thats 9.........

Any more? Heh - this is still almost two months away!

Here's 10...

Nick Mann
Interlec
Jimbo
Brunty
bernmc
BDA
ColV6Sport
Kieran
psbarham
Pezza

I think Bal expressed an interest too...

Bal
02-02-2005, 02:24 PM
Here's 10...

Nick Mann
Interlec
Jimbo
Brunty
bernmc
BDA
ColV6Sport
Kieran
psbarham
Pezza
Bal

here's 12.

enigma
02-02-2005, 02:29 PM
Bal, your maths aint great!!!

10 + 1 = 11 :laugh:

Bal
02-02-2005, 06:26 PM
im tired ... iv been doing this all day. any computer geeks here, i just been trying to explain an enterprise AD setup to our installations guy and instead of child domain parent domain this that and the other it came out more like " so this thing connects with the doodad that integrates with the wotsit"

Nick Mann
03-02-2005, 07:38 PM
Errrr.......

The 31st is in the middle of the school holidays, I think. The weekend before (26th) is easter, the weekend after (2nd April) there is a Santa Pod event highlighted in another thread.

Therefore I shall firm the date up as 19th March. (Kieran - start panicking - that's only 6 weeks to get your car cleaned!! :p )

RED
03-02-2005, 08:03 PM
Okay put us down as possibles because every time I say we'll go some where we never turn up :$ (work is a hiddious thing) Where is it?

psbarham
03-02-2005, 08:22 PM
is any body else bringing there kids with them ? coz i was just wondering if my 4 year old will have anyone else to play silly b#ggers with or will he have to busy himself by trying to pinch me a VR4 :laugh:

Kieran
03-02-2005, 09:04 PM
Therefore I shall firm the date up as 19th March. (Kieran - start panicking - that's only 6 weeks to get your car cleaned!! :p )

:Eyecrazy: ARRRGH!!!

That's far too little notice! :$ :$

Nick Mann
03-02-2005, 09:38 PM
Red - you can firm up nearer the time if you want! Venue has not yet been decided, but it will be in the midlands!!

psbarham - kids are often at meets and always welcome. But warn them about BDA's exhaust - he has made small children cry!

Ideas for venues are more than welcome! I think that mid-point for everyone who has asked is going to be quite central, somewhere near the M42 could be a good plan - maybe between the M40 and M6 junctions?

Bal
04-02-2005, 02:51 PM
interesting .... what do we want from a venue? i may have some suggestions.

psbarham
04-02-2005, 07:27 PM
just a thought for a venue what about donnington park , i mean it's perfect for a group of petrol heads coz theres a museum full of old and new sports cars to drool over and if theres any racing on we could watch that coz it's relitavly cheap if its club racing. Its easy to get to and there's some awesome roads round that way just ask kieran and big dave coz there from the nottingham area . just an idea

Kieran
05-02-2005, 08:50 PM
just a thought for a venue what about donnington park , i mean it's perfect for a group of petrol heads coz theres a museum full of old and new sports cars to drool over and if theres any racing on we could watch that coz it's relitavly cheap if its club racing. Its easy to get to and there's some awesome roads round that way just ask kieran and big dave coz there from the nottingham area . just an idea

...Ditto the above!! Sounds good to me?

bernmc
06-02-2005, 12:18 PM
Nice track too - mad back section!

Unfortunately, my car's only getting off the ship circa 15 March now :( . Might bring the sheepmobile for ritual scorn etc though.

The Auction Group also has premises at the track, and they've usually got a couple of legnums lurking in the car park if anyone wanted a look.

Brunty
06-02-2005, 04:10 PM
There are some nice pubs around the villages near to Coleshill (which is easily accessed from the M42/M6) - the roads nearby are free of speed cameras outside of the villages and encourage spirited driving.

Alternatively the Motorcycle Museum (same area) might be interesting for some - can't remember whether there is anything that would interesting for kids though.

Steve

PS. Somehow missed the three posts above this one - and agree that Donnington would be good.

Nick Mann
09-02-2005, 02:39 PM
How about the NEC?

Sewing Show (http://www.necgroup.co.uk/visitor/whatson/DisplayWhatsOn.asp?i=1890&sd=19.3.2005&ed=20.3.2005&p=1)

SGHOM
09-02-2005, 02:43 PM
LOL !!!
that one had me in stitches !!!! :oops:

I know !! I'll get me coat !

enigma
09-02-2005, 03:00 PM
Donington is OK, ill kill a couple of hours and there are some nice roads in the area. I am also lead to believe there are some quaint pubs.

Vector
09-02-2005, 04:01 PM
mind if i show up if its at donnington?...
20mins away from me

be good to see a few vr4's together :)

Kieran
09-02-2005, 04:44 PM
LOL !!!
that one had me in stitches !!!! :oops: I know !! I'll get me coat !

Derek loost the 'thread' of the conversation there...

:oops: :$

Nick Mann
09-02-2005, 06:16 PM
20mins away from me

Err.......

Now you've said how close you are, we'll be a tad disappointed if you don't attend!

psbarham
09-02-2005, 10:28 PM
20mins away from me

its a shame i haven't got my 'crooser any more we'd show these vr4 boys what proper acceleration is ,lol

enigma
09-02-2005, 10:39 PM
its a shame i haven't got my 'crooser any more we'd show these vr4 boys what proper acceleration is ,lol

0-60 in 3.9 not fast enough??? :sad2:

psbarham
10-02-2005, 07:56 PM
not really i've been used to doing it in less than three

caishanvr4
10-02-2005, 11:42 PM
OFF TOPIC

3 seconds psbarham !!!!

are we talking 0-60 here or .... a bit of ow,s your father

sorry, i couldn,t contain myself from saying that..

gotta stay off the alco pops

psbarham
11-02-2005, 06:14 PM
definatly 0-60 . my old race bike put out about 320 bhp per litre and wheighed 90kg fully fuelled so pretty rapid but no speedo so could not measure it but it completly p!ssed all over my mates tvr griffith 500 and most big capacity road bikes

Vector
21-02-2005, 12:47 PM
not many here done the o-60 in less than 3 secs ?......shame ...its a blast. :drummer: ...but can hurt your license :stop:

anyway..be great to see some of the most menacing looking cars all together ..when is it planned for again? Donnington ?....

psbarham
21-02-2005, 01:10 PM
not many here done the o-60 in less than 3 secs ?......shame ...its a blast. :drummer: ...but can hurt your license :stop:

anyway..be great to see some of the most menacing looking cars all together ..when is it planned for again? Donnington ?....
i know its a shame they don't know what they are missing do they

Nick Mann
21-02-2005, 02:02 PM
19th March. Just under three weeks. And Donnington looks to be the popular choice at the moment.

Roll up, roll up!

psbarham
21-02-2005, 05:38 PM
we need an updated list on whos going

Nick Mann
22-02-2005, 03:25 PM
Attendess:

Nick Mann
Interlec
Jimbo
Brunty
bernmc
BDA
ColV6Sport
Kieran
psbarham
Pezza
Bal

Possibles:

Red/Rally205
Vector

bernmc
22-02-2005, 03:39 PM
My car's arriving 14/15 March now, + 2 days to get through customs, so I should be collecting on the 18th. Slight delay might mean I have to fetch it on the 19th, which may mean me missing the meet, or turning up with a legnum on a trailer!

Hopefully it'll be collect on the friday though.

psbarham
22-02-2005, 06:02 PM
My car's arriving 14/15 March now, + 2 days to get through customs, so I should be collecting on the 18th. Slight delay might mean I have to fetch it on the 19th, which may mean me missing the meet, or turning up with a legnum on a trailer!

Hopefully it'll be collect on the friday though.

thats fine as long as we all get to point and laugh at the sheep mobile in a childish manner

bernmc
22-02-2005, 06:18 PM
Ah blow my nose at you, son of a silly person!

psbarham
22-02-2005, 06:20 PM
Ah blow my nose at you, son of a silly person!

don't start or i will have to taunt you some more. would running away help sir?

SGHOM
22-02-2005, 06:28 PM
don't start or i will have to taunt you some more. would running away help sir?
LOL !! the coward of the county !! /grr :rolleyes4

bernmc
23-02-2005, 09:59 PM
Any of you hairy lads or lasses coming to the meet have EVO brembo's on your cars? If so, would you mind psbarmyman and me making some measurements eh? ALternatively, we could just measure up the differences in caliper mountings on pre & post facelift leggies, providing there's an example of each there...

And is the club committee going to be laying on some decent weather hmmm? I don't want to be furtling with wheelnuts in the freezing cold eh! I ask you, what do I pay my membership for?

Nick Mann
23-02-2005, 10:05 PM
I think Jimbo, Brunty, BDA and Red all have post facelift cars. I have a pre-facelift which you are welcome to have a good look at. Not sure if anyone has the brembo upgrade, though. The best brakes there could well be Jimbos.

psbarham
23-02-2005, 10:06 PM
Any of you hairy lads or lasses coming to the meet have EVO brembo's on your cars? If so, would you mind psbarmyman and me making some measurements eh? ALternatively, we could just measure up the differences in caliper mountings on pre & post facelift leggies, providing there's an example of each there...

And is the club committee going to be laying on some decent weather hmmm? I don't want to be furtling with wheelnuts in the freezing cold eh! I ask you, what do I pay my membership for?
thanks for the new name ..'mate' i aint to bothered by the cold as long as i'm looking at it from inside somewhere warm :thumbsup: .i take it that i've gota bring my tape measure and note pad then . i just hope theres some one there to keep my missus talking so i don't get my ear bent /grr for buggering about with cars

bernmc
23-02-2005, 10:44 PM
thanks for the new name ..'mate'
I told you once... ;)

I have a pair of swanky vernier calipers, and a pretty picture from those nice boys at KAD with all the important measurements on, so at least we'll look like we know what we're doing... :inquisiti

Just had a look at Jimbos car in the CVR4Cars - Zounds Man! Those brakes are probably worth more than my car! I'll bring some bricks then... :mask:

psbarham
23-02-2005, 10:50 PM
I told you once... ;)

I have a pair of swanky vernier calipers, and a pretty picture from those nice boys at KAD with all the important measurements on, so at least we'll look like we know what we're doing... :inquisiti

Just had a look at Jimbos car in the CVR4Cars - Zounds Man! Those brakes are probably worth more than my car! I'll bring some bricks then... :mask:

sod the bricks , if he can afford brakes like that he can afford to bring his own bl00dy bricks,lol

Jimbo
23-02-2005, 11:20 PM
Steady on now boys /lol

I was lucky enough to buy the car with the brake-kit already fitted, so I saved a fortune there. I think the previous owner bought the kit for about £2500-3000 originally, and I didn't pay all that much over the odds of the average price for that age VR4 when I bought it - pos £750 at the most.

RED
24-02-2005, 12:16 AM
You can bring your tape measure and measure me up if you want :rolleyes4 I have a set of brembos on mine you can have a squiz at /yes

bernmc
24-02-2005, 12:59 AM
You can bring your tape measure and measure me up if you want :rolleyes4 I have a set of brembos on mine you can have a squiz at /yes

Sorted then. I'll get out my instrument :shocked: :stop: while psbarman plies jimbo with drink...

But seriously, it'll be nice to get the brembo thing sorted for pre-facelft cars if we can, so all us powhitetrash can join the fun.

psbarham
24-02-2005, 08:30 AM
now theres an offer you can't refuse ,ooeeerr missus

psbarham
24-02-2005, 08:42 PM

i tell you what with brakes like that you would have thought he would have fitted roof rails to stop the paint on the roof being scratched every time he does an emergency stop

Kieran
24-02-2005, 09:54 PM
i tell you what with brakes like that you would have thought he would have fitted roof rails to stop the paint on the roof being scratched every time he does an emergency stop

PMSL!!!!

Nick Mann
25-02-2005, 10:38 AM
Right. Derek has just spotted that the 19th at Donnington is a bike day. Still wanna go? Or choose somewhere else?

RED
25-02-2005, 11:00 AM
Don't mind - I'm easy :) I'll follow the masses /yes

pezza
25-02-2005, 11:07 AM
Right. Derek has just spotted that the 19th at Donnington is a bike day. Still wanna go? Or choose somewhere else?

Derek (silver Derek - as I refer to his car :-)) just fancies a drag with the bikes :-)

But as for me... I do not mind either moving date or venue....or sticking to that date and/or venue :happy:

Cheers

The otha' Derek

SGHOM
25-02-2005, 11:07 AM
what about the week after ??? personally, I'd rather look at cars rather than bikes ! I'm not into funkey mopeds !! :rolleyes4

http://www.donington-park.co.uk/trakzone/

Nick Mann
25-02-2005, 01:17 PM
The week after is easter. I'm busy, and I guess others are too.

I think it would be better to keep the date, but argue about the venue. To be honest, bikes can be more fun to watch than cars, so I don't mind! Plus the 'sub 3 second' duo will be in their elephant!

As they always tell me:

I'm easy!

Brunty
25-02-2005, 01:20 PM

The committee are going to busy - organising the weather and a big CVR4 picnic hamper for us :thumbsup:

Bikes are cool with me - but completely understand if those burdened with 2 too many wheels want to see the cages queuing around Donnington /yes /yes /yes
/help

Steve

Mitsubishi Galant VR4
&
KTM Duke II (http://www.kfz-niederleitner.com/assets/images/duke2-2.jpg)

bernmc
25-02-2005, 03:10 PM
If we're going to change the date, I'll need to know soonish - I have to work w/ends, so I'll need to make sure I've got the time off.

SGHOM
25-02-2005, 05:19 PM
Derek (silver Derek - as I refer to his car :-))

glad it was my car you were refering to, & not my hair !! :embarasse
It's all the 'vogue' nowadays to have silver highlights !! :laugh: :afro: :afro:

psbarham
25-02-2005, 06:58 PM
it won't be to bad as it's only a track day and its march so it'll be a bit nippy ,so there won't be to many people there , mind you watching some of them trying to go through craner curves at 100+ on a cold track will be mildly amusing and we could run a book on who will land closet to the spitfire when they get over eager and highside it

Sulli
28-02-2005, 10:43 PM
Yep, we'll try and make it too :thumbsup:

Kieran
28-02-2005, 10:55 PM
/help :rolleyes3 /dunce

Ok, can someone remind me what date and where?! Are we sticking to the original plan or are we changing?! :rolleyes4

Nick Mann
28-02-2005, 10:57 PM
19th March. Definitely! Donnington is as good as anywhere unless someone comes up with something else!

Physician
28-02-2005, 11:39 PM
Sheesh guys .......... March 19th is Rugby Union!

It's the big one between Wales and Ireland (prob for the Grand Slam) so I'll definitely be there for some pub lunch but must leave by about 15.25 to get back to Leicester for the 15.30 kick-off ! (Please calculate my average speed required = M1 26 miles Donington to home)

So put me down as number 43 please Nick.

caishanvr4
03-03-2005, 12:27 AM
It would be a blast to meet . Can someone give brief directions how to get there from ilford. Nearest motorways is M11/ M25

CHEERS :thumbsup:

SGHOM
03-03-2005, 01:02 AM
It would be a blast to meet . Can someone give brief directions how to get there from ilford. Nearest motorways is M11/ M25

CHEERS :thumbsup:
JCT 24/25 M1. :thumbsup: maybe a couple of hours from essex.

caishanvr4
04-03-2005, 03:27 PM
Thank you Interlec :thumbsup:

Nick Mann
04-03-2005, 07:59 PM
Current Attendees:

Nick Mann
Interlec
Jimbo
Brunty
bernmc
BDA
ColV6Sport
Kieran
psbarham
Pezza
Bal
Sulli
Physician (No. 43!)
caishanvr4

Possibles:

Red/Rally205
Vector

Sheee-it. That is a lot of VR4's!! (And some other slower versions!) Anyone got any good pub suggestions for lunch? What's the deal with Donnington, any of you orrible lot know? Do we just wander in and watch for a bit then scarper for a warm pub and lunch?

Could someone with local knowledge send me a vague outline plan for nice pubs and fun routes please?

Yeah, baby, this is going to be fun! :afro:

psbarham
04-03-2005, 08:17 PM
just had a look on the donnington park website and they are hosting the lotus festival that weekend so should be loads of elise's ready for an ass spanking but i'll leave that for some one who doesn't need new tyres . as for places to eat there is plenty of pubs in the village , there is always the airport or m/way services for food there is also a very nice road (A453) from donnington park across to the A42 and i refer to my earlier comment about the lotus's when thinking about this road , buti'm sure one of the locals can help out with a few more .(calling kieran and big dave)

The Vee
04-03-2005, 08:28 PM
Would love to add another "slower Version" to the collection, but yep, you guessed it, I'm at work again. Sure it'll be a good day :thumbsup:

Nick Mann
04-03-2005, 08:49 PM
...as for places to eat there is plenty of pubs in the village...

But I think it may be a good idea to book. There could be around 30 of us eating! There are in the region of 15 cars, so assuming an average of 2 per car (should be slightly less) then we need a big pub and or one that is ready for us!!

Andy, it's a shame you can't make it. I am looking forward to hearing what barmy plans your mind is concocting!

bernmc
04-03-2005, 09:28 PM
Possibles:

Red/Rally205
Vector

Red/Rally205 had better turn up - we're supposed to be measuring their assets :inquisiti !

There are a couple of country hotels close to the circuit too - seem to remember two on the road that runs along the circuit itself. Unfortunately I don't know the area well, and I can't remember their names! I'll be taking my legnum up for SVA, but I'm not sure it'll be before the meet. Car is now scheduled to arrive on the 10th, so if I can get off work for long enough, I'll be able to get it up there early the week before the meet. If this is the case, and we haven't arranged anything yet, I'll have a look around.

Rally205
06-03-2005, 11:48 PM
:inquisiti Would we be doing lunch then Donnington or Donnington then lunch? And what kind of times are we talking?

Cheers
Red

Smokinmasta2
06-03-2005, 11:51 PM
Nick Mann
Interlec
Jimbo
Brunty
bernmc
BDA
ColV6Sport
Kieran
psbarham
Pezza
Bal
Sulli
Physician (No. 43!)
caishanvr4

Possibles:

Red/Rally205
Vector
Smokinmasta2

Add me as a possible.............depends on funds that weekend :embarasse

Smokin............

Nick Mann
08-03-2005, 10:34 PM
I would suggest 10-11 ish at Donnington. A bit of a chat (maybe some viewing of the action on-track) followed by some fun driving to the pub for lunch at about 1-2ish.

People can dismantle hub assemblies, rub their thighs whilst talking about power output, get hassled to put their names down for Japfest, then go home!

All we need now is a pub? We really do need to book something.

Jimbo
08-03-2005, 11:04 PM
There's a hotel/pub just oustide the paddock entrance to Donny, The Melbourne View - ChrisG, HJM, and myself stayed there the night before the Donnington track day last December and it was quite good, even if they did kick us out of the bar at 11:10pm /grr

It's a family run place, they serve good food, but it wasn't very big and I'm not sure if they do lunches.....however it's close by, so might be an option. I'll check to see if I still have the details.....

Jimbo
10-03-2005, 11:40 AM
Nah, ignore that.....they don't do lunches.

colVR4
10-03-2005, 12:44 PM
I am going to have to back out I'm afraid, the wife has other plans for me that weekend that involved in-laws :(

It looks like I will have to wait until the next Santa Pod meet before I can see you guys.

SGHOM
10-03-2005, 04:10 PM
I am going to have to back out I'm afraid, the wife has other plans for me that weekend that involved in-laws :(

err .....Col ?? you've been married for 5 minutes, & already you're not allowed out ?? :embarasse :embarasse /grr

colVR4
10-03-2005, 05:46 PM
No..no.......no.............................yes.

Its my own fault as I agreed to it when we got back from the honeymoon before I checked the diary. I am sure that I will be able to get some concessions from her though so I can nip down to the pod one weekend soon and have a go down the strip :)

Nick Mann
10-03-2005, 08:50 PM
Okay. Seeing as you lot are SO helpful, I have provisionally booked us in to the Turks Head in Castle Donnington. They have told me they have a reasonable car park at the front and a private function room we can use if there are lots of us! Meals seem to be about £4.50, less for burgers, more for large steaks.

So can I have a final role call please!

1. Nick & Vicky

SGHOM
10-03-2005, 08:53 PM
me & one of daughters...............maybe both ?? :embarasse

Oh !!.... & Lee.........possibly.......& Emma, his daughter........... possibly. :embarasse

Nick Mann
10-03-2005, 08:58 PM
:embarasse :inquisiti /help :huh2: /wall :stop: :undecided /dunce :thinking: :speechles :uhoh2: :book: :uhoh: :toilet:

I am going to start a new thread.

I ain't got a clue anymore!!