PDA

View Full Version : Which subaru td04 is bolt on?

khairunnain
07-07-2013, 09:00 AM
Hi, Ive been reading up on turbo upgrades and cant find a definitive solution.
But it seems some people are saying that theres a subaru td04 turbo thats is bolt on without needing to cut the firewall or something?
Can someone tell me which turbo it is exactly?
Many thanks

wintertidenz
07-07-2013, 10:23 AM
There are no bolt-on TD04s - you have to at the very least get custom manifolds made up.

You may be able to get a TD04 in the rear of the engine bay without modifying the firewall if you have your manifolds made up right. At the front you may need to massage the fan shrouds slightly to get them to fit.

Adam.Findlay
07-07-2013, 11:21 AM
you can bolt some td-04's to the stock manifolds but the stock manifolds require machining and modifying to do so. far easier and a better soloution to just get custom manifolds made

AKKO
07-07-2013, 11:26 AM
I'll be fitting a pair of KKR280s in future, fortunately they came from the seller with adapter plates to allow them to bolt up more easily.

That said modifications are still required...

- Rear firewall clearance
- Heat shields / issues
- Radiator fan shroud trim (installing lo-profile fans instead)
- Forward engine mount trim

khairunnain
07-07-2013, 02:05 PM
Many thanks all, I guess it seems to be a bit too much work for me so I will leave it for later.

Chris.W
08-07-2013, 12:22 PM
Depends on how you do it, but cusyom pipework is the way forward.
I just fitted a pair of Td04's. Mine have custom manifolds down pipes and other associated pipework. Also had to bin the a/c and change from the stock pull fans to slimline push fans infront of the rad.

jjayokocha
08-07-2013, 12:30 PM
How much it set you back Chris?

Kryton
08-07-2013, 12:50 PM
I also have TD04's & managed to keep standard fans & a/c, no issues with bulk head & majority of the manifolds is standard. Just needed some cunning pipework & filter relocation work. Still far from a bolt on, straight fit though and took far too long to do :( This is seriously tight though so had to thermal coat everything to stop heat related problems further down the line

Chris.W
08-07-2013, 02:10 PM
I bought mine from Steve-vr4 who had got it from Gowf but never fitted it. I know that Gowf spent around 23grand building his car and in particular spent 5 grand on the manifolds, down pipes and exhaust. The guys he used have created a work of art, but I suspect it could be done cheeper elsewhere.

My front turbo sits above the manifold and has a lot of krafty pipework. But then I also have new non-restrictive intake pipework to give each turbo it's own filter.