PDA

View Full Version : Thought I'd say hi.

EndingCredit
07-07-2013, 09:03 PM
Hi all,

First off, sorry for having a username sounding like some sort of spambot; I usually use "Ending Credits" but it's two characters two long for the forums here.

I don't actually own a VR-4 but I've been looking at getting one sometime in the future as something more powerful and practical than my current car. I was speaking with one of the guys at the VR-4 stand at Japfest 2 today and from what I gather, they're great cars apart from running costs. My pocket aren't particularly deep but I don't need to drive much and have the use of another car so it's not so much issue if I have to take it off the road and fuel isn't too much of a problem (although I've still managed to find myself doing some 4000km this year purely on long-haul drives).

Just a couple of quick questions (I'm sure I'd find the answers to these with a bit of digging around, so call me lazy);
1.) How much is servicing on an annual basis and how costly and frequesntly are repairs needed (from what I gather, Japanese Car = Good, High End Mitsubishi = Bad)?
2.) How much is tax, I presume it's the higher rate for cars imported before 2003?

Also, how do the standard Galants/Legnums stack up? Are they still fun cars or typical mid-range saloon?

Just going to finish to say how impressed I am with rhe VR-4, didn't even know they existed till a few months ago but they look like they give all the thrills of an EVO (well, heavier chassis makes a difference I guess) with half the drawbacks. Also, all the ones I saw at Japfest 2 looked great and the chap I was chatting with was really helpful (sorry, I would have added you as my referred, but I don't know your username).

Many thanks!
-EC

Nick Mann
07-07-2013, 09:29 PM
/Welcome

http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/content.php?143-Calculators

If you leave it standard and service it well, then big unexpected maintenance costs are rare. The high running costs are all down to fuel, although there is a big service cost every 45-60 thousand miles.

Best bet is to look round the site - there is a load of info here and people are unlikely to type things again after already typing it all many times. ;)

TAR
07-07-2013, 09:52 PM
hi and welcome to the club.

Regular maintenance is required several times a year to keep the car in tip top shape. This can be expensive if you use quality oils and pay someone to do it. Most small services can be done by owners if you know one end of a spanner from the other.

Anyone who tells you that ownership is cheap will be lying!!

Even if you can manage the servicing you will soon want to make it go faster
:happy:

EndingCredit
07-07-2013, 10:22 PM
/Welcome

http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/content.php?143-Calculators

If you leave it standard and service it well, then big unexpected maintenance costs are rare. The high running costs are all down to fuel, although there is a big service cost every 45-60 thousand miles.

Best bet is to look round the site - there is a load of info here and people are unlikely to type things again after already typing it all many times. ;)

Thanks, and yeah, I'll have a poke round.

hi and welcome to the club.

Regular maintenance is required several times a year to keep the car in tip top shape. This can be expensive if you use quality oils and pay someone to do it. Most small services can be done by owners if you know one end of a spanner from the other.

Anyone who tells you that ownership is cheap will be lying!!

Even if you can manage the servicing you will soon want to make it go faster
:happy:

Thanks. I'm generally happy to do any jobs myself if possible, all part of owning the car really.

Bender
08-07-2013, 06:01 AM
Welcome to clubvr4

EndingCredit
21-07-2013, 09:25 PM
So, does anyone have any input on how good the regular galants are? The 2.5 sport fits my budget a lot better but I want to know if I would just regret not getting a VR4 in the first place.

BillHardy
21-07-2013, 10:54 PM
Iv'e had the 2.5 sport and it is quite quick but iv'e progressed to the VR4 and it is a whole lot quicker so if you go for the sport i dont think it would be long before you are hankering after the VR4