PDA

View Full Version : Removing Front Anti Roll Bar

Erni902
10-07-2013, 01:56 PM
Just got to the PITA job that is swapping out the front drop links. Nuts have seized and as we all no there is pretty much no way of getting them off without BFI (Brute Force & Ignorance). Got out the angle grinder (which will please Glenn Wodjno no end :) )

Top outside nut ground off no problem and bolt popped out. No way to get angle grinder onto the bottom one so out comes the hacksaw, 2hrs later and I am absolutely threaders.

Having a quick break and thinking how hard is it to just remove the anti roll bar completely and BFI it whilst its ff the car?

Do I need to remove the prop shaft, down pipes etc or will it wiggle through the underneath of the car?

Any help greatly appreciated as I still have the drivers side to do as we'll :(

peter thomson
10-07-2013, 02:15 PM
Once you undo /grind off the opposite side it will allow easier access to remove the other nuts rather than go to the extreme of removing the bar

Erni902
10-07-2013, 02:18 PM
Cheers Peter I shall give that a go, just on my way out to have another little play lol

Davezj
10-07-2013, 05:31 PM
Front anti roll bar is an exhaust and propshaft off job.
You might have to lower the sub frame or take the bolt out of the front and rear roll stopper to allow the transfer box to swing down a bit to allow you goo access.
It is possible to do with out removing the roll stoppers but you need one person on a big bar and the other pulling the anti roll bar out. And I think it involves removing the bolt from the rear of the lower curvier arms to drop it out.

But you don't need to do any of this you get in to the bottom nut from the rear over the top of the curved lower arm. I had exactly the same issue last time I did my drop links and I managed to get to the nuts with a small angle grinder the 115mm disk type. No roll bar removal needed. If you still struggling then tack the bolt out of the curved arm and swing it out of he way. Much easier.

Erni902
10-07-2013, 09:22 PM
Front anti roll bar is an exhaust and propshaft off job.
You might have to lower the sub frame or take the bolt out of the front and rear roll stopper to allow the transfer box to swing down a bit to allow you goo access.
It is possible to do with out removing the roll stoppers but you need one person on a big bar and the other pulling the anti roll bar out. And I think it involves removing the bolt from the rear of the lower curvier arms to drop it out.

Yup thought this would be the case and too much of a ball ache for this job. Front roll stopper not a problem, rear roll stopper a complete PITA when nothing else is in the engine bay let alone with everything there lol.

But you don't need to do any of this you get in to the bottom nut from the rear over the top of the curved lower arm. I had exactly the same issue last time I did my drop links and I managed to get to the nuts with a small angle grinder the 115mm disk type. No roll bar removal needed. If you still struggling then tack the bolt out of the curved arm and swing it out of he way. Much easier.

Couldnt get in there with the angle grinder to the rear one but managed to hacksaw a fair way through the nut&bolt then smash the living sh!t out of it with a hammer and chisel until it pinged off of the gearbox as it gave way. Was a bit annoyed that it only took 30secs to fit the new one lol.

Did the same with the drivers side, angle grinder on the top till it popped out then hacksaw and chisel on the bottom till that went :) another 30secs to put the new one on and hey presto another job done and one step closer to getting her back on the road :)

Cheers for the help and hints guys :)

Davezj
10-07-2013, 10:18 PM
Glad you got it done.

Erni902
10-07-2013, 10:48 PM
Glad you got it done.

Me too matey, one more job to tick off. Speed sensor and fuel filter tomorrow :)

Davezj
10-07-2013, 11:14 PM
Don't start he car in the morning before you do the filter, the fuel presure will disapate over night to almost nothing, so it will not spert out under high pressure when you diconnect the filter. Some filter compresion fitting pliers ar a good thing to have to disconnect he of he fuel filter as it can be. Bit of a far with out them.

Erni902
11-07-2013, 06:16 PM
Cheers for the tip Dave although it does make it a lot easier if you have new filter to replace the old one with!! Turns out I've left it at my sisters house!!!!

Mark 4
12-07-2013, 06:34 PM
Plonker !

Erni902
12-07-2013, 10:28 PM
Plonker !

Yup!! Don't feel too clever right now. Highlights the need for a fixed address lol

Davezj
13-07-2013, 12:18 AM
Sorry forgot you will need to remove the front cross member as well to remove the anti tool bar, I know this is very late info but if anyone reads this thread back it might help.

Erni902
15-07-2013, 11:21 AM
Sorry forgot you will need to remove the front cross member as well to remove the anti tool bar, I know this is very late info but if anyone reads this thread back it might help.

Cheers Dave, I took that as a given because thats what I would do anyway. But good to have the clarification on the thread for future searches to help others out :thumbsup: