PDA

View Full Version : 2.5 V6 buying advice

jackal2513
01-02-2005, 06:26 PM
hi there

i am going to look at some 2.5 V6's this weekend and was wondering if there was anything i should look out whether on teh actual test drive or on the car itself ?

were there some recalls on the galants taht i have to be aware of ? and what are the major services and big belt services ?

any help appreciated

thanks

R

adam_shaw
01-02-2005, 06:33 PM
Hey look for service history above all.....

Cambelt is at 54K, and there are recent recalls for lower ball joints, so it's worth asking about.

If the engine is cold there may be a tapping noise, this is normal so long as it goes away once the engine is warm. (Hydraulic lash adjusters)

If you look at a Sport, pay attention to the alloys, they get bent real easy.

Get a Red Zebra warranty as well if you can.

I'm sure other advice will follow. Have fun,

Adam

jackal2513
01-02-2005, 06:59 PM
ok thanks

is the gearbox the same gearbox from an EVO6 ?
and are the v6 sports front wheel drive ?

thanks

Nick Mann
01-02-2005, 10:19 PM
All V6 Galants (UK supplied!) are FWD. The sport has 17" alloys that are known to be soft.

The 54k service also has platinum plugs in it, so is 3 times the price of most other services.

I have no idea if the gearbox is the same as the Evo 6, sorry! I would guess it is different in some ways, even if it is very similar?

Don't worry too much about horrible changes into second gear when the car is cold. This is a known problem with V6 manual cars.

The main re-call and weak point seems to be lower ball joints. Your local dealer should be able to tell you what the deal with that is if you give them a chassis number.

Any more questions, feel free to ask!

jackal2513
01-02-2005, 10:41 PM
ok thanks

does the car work as a manual ? or do you reckon im best to stick with an auto
i tried an auto and liked it today
thing is one of the used cars im keen on is manual, there is a real limited choice out there !

Nick Mann
01-02-2005, 10:45 PM
Personal choice.

I have owned 2 manual V6's and 2 tiptronic VR4's. They both have up sides. Given a choice, I would choose manual, but I wouldn't ignore a car because it was auto!

If you search the site, you will find plenty of argument over manual/tiptronic. The only user I am sure has driven both manual and auto V6 is Pezza. Maybe he can give us his review?

Slimshady
01-02-2005, 11:58 PM
Stick with a manual - take control of the power & rev it up baby

Mind you saying that mine has a whirling noise coming from the box (I think it is a bearing) - so check that as well. (Sounds like a turbo whirl in 1st 3 gears)

Mitsi F.S.H. is important and also check the brakes – mine were £^}ed by a mitsi dealer in Lincoln.

Check this (http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6896)

Tyres can be expensive so check tread but most of all you really must check out the engine – ensure it is clean (but not steamed) Mitsi engines are always clean & will not rust unless they have been left at the bottom of an ocean (except engine plates – m8s GLS have anyway) – expect to see a small amount of rust in the joints of the wings (look beneath the washer bottle and battery) Look for fur around the battery.
Rev it to 7K several times when engine is hot & cold then let it drop naturally should drop away fast and smooth – gurgle can be exhaust or mod or bad timing – listen for any engine tapping sounds – if so walk and don’t look back – could be a whole string of problems.
Look at the emissions coming out of the exhaust (V6 so it will be a lot – wife still questions the eco safety of the car when she sees a lot of smoke from the rear in the cold weather) most importantly check the colour – again if has even a hint of blue – walk

MPG is about 30 :) if she drives and 20 – 23 if I drive :D

The sport is better looking because it has the 17” wheels :-b not 15” but think of the insurance saving – (my get out clause with the wife)

I think I have covered most basic things – anything else just ask and I hope you fine the car of your dreams.

Slim

Polabear
02-02-2005, 09:01 AM
ok thanks

is the gearbox the same gearbox from an EVO6 ?
and are the v6 sports front wheel drive ?

thanks

Autobox is totally different from the evo, it is the invecs self learning box and is a dream to drive, (I have one of those as well as my Legnum vr4) but it is not the same box as the vr4 invecs II tiptronic that is fitted to the vr4.....

Polabear
02-02-2005, 09:04 AM
Personal choice. The only user I am sure has driven both manual and auto V6 is Pezza. Maybe he can give us his review?

Ermmmmm..... :wavey: HELLO .. you may find I am another one Nick.... :rolleyes5

Nick Mann
02-02-2005, 10:57 AM
Ermmmmm..... :wavey: HELLO .. you may find I am another one Nick.... :rolleyes5

Sorry, Sean! Didn't realise you had driven a manual V6.

Engine tapping sounds? Depends on what they are. There is often a 'tappety' sound from the top of the engine, which is not a big issue. Search on lash adjusters or maybe hydraulic lifters for more info on that.

Kieran
03-02-2005, 08:58 PM
Autobox is totally different from the evo, it is the invecs self learning box and is a dream to drive, (I have one of those as well as my Legnum vr4) but it is not the same box as the vr4 invecs II tiptronic that is fitted to the vr4.....

Not quite... When Mitsubishi did the October `99 facelift (rounded fogs instead of square ones) the old INVECS was binned and all UK models got the tiptronic INVECS-II equipped gearboxes, albeit in 4-speed format (In fact even amongst the JDM galants, only the VR-4 has 5 speeds I think). My GLS had the INVECS-II unit and it was cool. :-b :-D

Phil S
04-02-2005, 05:41 PM
If you can, make sure you check the steering rack isn't weeping/leaking- speaking to my Mitsi dealer this seems to be a common problem on the Galant, a recon one from an independent will cost you £200+fitting (£2000+fitting from Mitsi!)

habbers
05-02-2005, 01:28 PM
I have just bought a 2.5 V6 Sport Saloon with manual gearbox

I asked the same questions as you have and got the same replies, nothing to add really but do make sure it has been serviced and look for accident damage.

Thar are great cars, i am really pleased with mine it does everything really well.

I was looking at Honda Accords, Alfa 156's, Subaru Leggys, VW passats, Jeeps etc but i found the Galant to be the best of the bunch all round.

driving mine is a pleaure.