PDA

View Full Version : What is involved with a TD04 conversion?

gazmk2
30-07-2013, 03:53 AM
As per the title really! Do TD04's fit our stock manifolds or do I need 3000GT ones? will my car run stupidly lean without some sort of remap/aftermarket ecu/fuel controller?

Any other modifications needed to make them fit?

The reason I am asking is at some point I will need to replace my turbos, the rear one has been a bit smokey since I bought it over a year ago so figured if I am going to replace them, I might as well uipgrade them!!

Cheers dudes.

Gary

Patryn999
30-07-2013, 04:38 AM
Can't answer the stock manifold question (I have custom), I think one or two managed with slight modifications that required the oil filter to be moved. It's tight in there thou.

The car uses an AFM, so it won't run lean but rather a little richer than necessary (with higher efficiency of turbo at the given high load airflows you won't need as much fuel for intake air cooling compared to stock). But without someone to reprogram the ECU a little you will hit boost cut pretty quickly.

Uh, other things you will need:
Radiator push fans (go on other side of radiator - free's up space
Larger injectors (at 18PSI I'm running 69% duty on 560cc injectors = 100% of stock injectors) and sit in the mid 11 AFRs with alcohol injection on top.
Better fuel pump? I'd already moved to walbro before I decided to upgrade.
Custom exhaust pipework/Dump pipes for turbo's.
Alterations to intake piping as well.

It's not an plug and play job, maybe someone who's done the TD04's on stock manifolds can explain that aspect further. There's probably a bunch of crud I've forgotten that I did, but will update if I remember.

wintertidenz
30-07-2013, 06:04 AM
From what I've played with so far TD04s will not bolt on with the standard oil filter attachment - you need a relocation plate at least, and to relocate the wastegates as they will foul.

Here's a picture of the exhaust side of a TD04 in the front stock location:

gazmk2
30-07-2013, 08:00 AM
Thanks for your answers chaps! I think refurbished td03's might be the way to go after all!!

John TheAntique
30-07-2013, 08:53 AM
http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/search.php?searchid=4235162

Colin Wiltshire
30-07-2013, 03:31 PM
http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/search.php?searchid=4235162

Link shows nothing mate