PDA

View Full Version : Wiring colours for door speakers

adaxo
05-08-2013, 06:34 PM
As in title basically, I'm trying to fit new speakers in doors and cant figure out which colour is '+' and which one is '-', any one have wiring diagrams for speakers in vr4. cheers

fassi1
05-08-2013, 06:45 PM
Aren't they different thickness? + is always thicker.

elnevio
05-08-2013, 06:53 PM
From the wiring diagram for the Galant, the speaker wiring is as follows:

Front left: + White-Blue, - Black-Blue
Front right: + White-Red, - Black-Red
Rear left: + Yellow-Blue, - Grey-Blue
Rear right: + Yellow-Red, - Grey-Red

Although the wiring diagram is for the UK/Euro car, I would be surprised if they are different (I don't remember them being different when I changed my speakers?), especially as they are the same between LHD and RHD. Wiring colours are the same for both saloon and estate.

W is for White.
L is for Blue.
B is for Black.
R is for Red.
Y is for Yellow.
GR is for Grey.

I believe that the colour listed first is the dominant colour on the wire.

adaxo
05-08-2013, 08:05 PM
VERY good info there Nev, thank you a lot :thumbsup:

looks like my assumption was right, I change driver side front door speaker only for now and cables was white with red strip (+) and black with red strip (-)

will confirm rest when I change all but its looks like there's no difference between EU - JDM spec

they are the same thickness, just for tweeters are thinner

Davezj
15-08-2013, 12:02 AM
I changed my front speaker recently I did not know which was pos and which was neg so I tried them both way round and I could not tell the difference in sound.
I know the speaker will be pulling when it should be pushing, but I could not tell the difference sound.

adaxo
15-08-2013, 07:50 AM
Thank for remind me to update for future reference.

In my case (FL Legnum 99)

front speaker cables are as in diagram above, but rears have the same wiring colours on both side + Yellow-Red, - Grey-Red, tbh I didn't know/see galant or Legnum with four speakers at the back from factory??
Davezj in my case speakers sound much MUCH better, at first attempt i got pass side front connected wrong way round (rest was as diagram) and sound was ok at low levels, but while i add more wattage and bass all interior lights in car start dim as radio and sound become disturb, after connecting in right all improve dramatically

GalantOnly
15-08-2013, 11:04 AM
If the rears are the same colour, then you've got yourself an amplifier at the back? :)
No, there's no Galant/Legnums with the four rear speakers. On the diagram, the F-09/F-18 is shown for estates only and G-03/G-06 is for saloons only /yes But the pic is cutted, so you just can't see it

Davezj
15-08-2013, 01:24 PM
I will have to check mine now, i don't normally run very loud or with much bass but it is always best to know you have it connect correctly.
i had to cut the existing wiring when i fitted my active crossovers in between the door speeker and te tweeter, so i have to re check it all.

elnevio
15-08-2013, 03:07 PM
...On the diagram, the F-09/F-18 is shown for estates only and G-03/G-06 is for saloons only /yes But the pic is cutted, so you just can't see it

Yes, I couldn't be bothered stitching two images together to fit the wording in! /pan

GalantOnly
15-08-2013, 07:57 PM
I know the feeling, Nev /yes Just don't give a d... /lol