PDA

View Full Version : HELP tcl messed up

reaper0907
19-08-2013, 07:16 AM
Hey, I'm new and I'm not sure if this is the right place but anyways I have just upgraded from a 1994 VR4 to a 1998 ralliart VR4.

It drive's fine till it spins, Then it cut's all power and most of the time after starting and by the time it has warmed up, The TCL light's up with the engine light, I have the TCL switch that will work if the light doesn't come on, But if it does, It does nothing and when this happen's it pulls less and changes gear really hard. I have put in a other fuel pump but it was out of a non trubo Legnum.

Any help would be great. :happy:

Bender
19-08-2013, 10:16 AM
Translation:

Hey, I'm new and I'm not sure if this is the right place but anyways I have just upgraded from a 1994 VR4 to a 1998 ralliart VR4.

It drive's fine till it spins, Then it cut's all power and most of the time after starting and by the time it has warmed up, The TCL light's up with the engine light, I have the TCL switch that will work if the light doesn't come on, But if it does, It does nothing and when this happen's it pulls less and changes gear really hard. I have put in a other fuel pump but it was out of a non trubo Legnum.

Any help would be great.

Welcome to Cvr4 Dave, Note: Please try and not use txt speak in posts and people will help out with advice. :)

elnevio
19-08-2013, 11:30 AM
Pulling the stored fault codes would be a good place to start. /yes

This excerpt from the members' area will help:

Here is a simple illustration of the OBD-II port located on the underside of the dash, near the driver's left knee:

----------------------------
\.01.02.03.04.05.06.07.08../
.\09.10.11.12.13.14.15.16./
..------------------------

Grounding pin 1 is the way to obtain any stored error codes. You can ground it to a chassis point, any other earth, or most usually (because it's closest and easiest) pin 4.

I use a short piece of wire with stripped ends for the desired effect. A paperclip may also suffice.

reaper0907
19-08-2013, 11:53 PM
thanks will try that after work

reaper0907
23-08-2013, 01:04 AM
Just found the vacuum line to the bov was split and i have a nice hole in my intercooler, so it will be freeboosting and sending wrong signals to everything

Kenneth
23-08-2013, 02:22 AM
I have fixed your posts to make them readable. Please try not to use "text speak" on the forums, there are a good portion of us who find it very difficult to read. If we can't read it, we wont help you.

Good to hear you found one issue. I would be very very dubious about using a fuel pump from a non-turbo car. Even the standard pump doesn't have a lot of leeway for upping power, if the one you put in flows less than standard, it is very dangerous.

reaper0907
23-08-2013, 11:40 AM
Sorry bout that i do it so much its hard to stop. Yes i did think that mite be one of the problems with the fuel pump do you think it would be worth just getting a cheep 500hp one off trade me and if someone could tale me wear in hear the diagrams are. Have some work i wont to do in the wiring but its all in Jap

Badger_01
23-08-2013, 11:49 AM
I wouldnt go cheap when it comes to something as important as fuelling.

Get this: http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=628827394

reaper0907
27-08-2013, 09:43 AM
wall i have fixed most of that but now i don't no bout this next problem it has started blowing smoke but not all the time it has only happened ones from cold start the rest of the time its wean it is hot i don't think it is the rings or turbos as its not smoking all the time but i mite be wrong wear do think i should start also i am trying to put a air fuel gauge in bit a can not find the o2 sender

SEAN-NZ
27-08-2013, 10:08 AM
smoke colour? throttle dependent? different issues will give different colour smoke, and depend on how you drive

reaper0907
27-08-2013, 12:42 PM
its blue smoke so it will be oil and with the throttle its from idle in gear not out and gets worse the more force i put on the motor but the thing is that its maybe ones a week it will do it and it only last for maybe one minute then there is nothing and when i took the intercooler and all that out there was oil all through it. i do no a lot about cars just lately my minds not there so i no it will either be the turbo seal or a buggered compression ring giving me bad blow-by well i think that's all it could be so wear should i start and if it is with the turbos i have never worked on one