PDA

View Full Version : Proof

RED
02-02-2005, 11:42 PM
Okay so here's the proof that I actually CAN get my hands dirty from time to time :-D Under the expert instruction of Marcus I helped change the front suspension on the car and I could only help because everything was welded on :rolleyes5 but I got down and dirty at least :$ :-D

The 1st wheel pic is of the new suspension and the second is of the back wheel which we haven't done yet as we ran out of time but it shows the difference it's made :-D I look like an old cortina with some modified leaf springs on the back :laugh:

Kenneth
02-02-2005, 11:59 PM
Looks good.

Is there any way to adjust the height/preload?

You're going to have to go have some fun to test it out when you have it all finished! :-b

Spirit
03-02-2005, 12:00 AM
Good for you Jane :-b

Hope you like the new kit and much as I do......just watch out for the speedbumps :lipsrseal

RED
03-02-2005, 12:09 AM
Hi Kenneth they aren't adjustable and I have had some fun already :-D

Pete you're right about the speedhumps :rolleyes5 I've only bottomed it out once though in 24 hours :$ There's not alot of room :lipsrseal how much clearance do you have? The whole look is fantastic and we're well pleased with it. Don't know how it's going to sit though with four up in it and luggage :laugh:

Kenneth
03-02-2005, 12:19 AM
Hi Kenneth they aren't adjustable and I have had some fun already :-D

Did you go out with just the front in? LOL, I did that with my suspension, I must say it was rather interesting... the front turned in real fast, which made the back feel a little loose and tended to squeel a lot around the corners :$

You probably dont need adjustment, as it looks like your springs are progressive? and are most likely setup well for the car already.

IMO good suspension transforms the car. Hope you enjoy it and I would be interested on what differences you notice in handling. :-b

RED
03-02-2005, 12:30 AM
Did you go out with just the front in? LOL, I did that with my suspension, I must say it was rather interesting... the front turned in real fast, which made the back feel a little loose and tended to squeel a lot around the corners :$

You probably dont need adjustment, as it looks like your springs are progressive? and are most likely setup well for the car already.

IMO good suspension transforms the car. Hope you enjoy it and I would be interested on what differences you notice in handling. :-b

Yes i went out with only the fronts in because we ran out of time to do the rears in the same night. The front has dropped that much it's like driving an MPV- I feel up in the air :laugh: I'll have a better idea of handlng once the rears are done but so far so good. Pete had the same on his a few weeks back and he's very happy with his - aren't you Pete :-D I'll let you know how it goes - glad you like it :-D

Spirit
03-02-2005, 10:12 AM
Yes I am very happy with mine too - worth every penny. Totally transforms the look - but have to take real care not to ground out. With regards to handling, I have not had chance to really test this but she's on track in 10 days time so will have a much better opinion then :-D

Kenneth
03-02-2005, 07:54 PM
It looks like you are a little bit lower than me. Will be easier to tell when you have the backs in as well though. A friend of mine always used to say that white cars never look as low as black cars (at the same height), I think he may be right.

At the height I have set, I occasionally bottom out comming out of drives where there is a dip in the gutter area. I also get a slight scraping in the mid section of the car going over some speed humps...

Could you do me a favour and post a pic of the front when the car is jacked up? I am interested to see what sort of sag you have.

My suspension isn't trully height adjustable, the adjustable platforms increase the preload which reduces sag, hence lifting the ride height. At the current setting the sag is quite low. In fact, there is one drive (i enter once or twice a week) where the car lifts 2 corners off the ground before se-sawing and settling on 3 wheels! Was quite an interesting feeling the first time. I doubt the chassis likes that sort of treatment though.

RED
03-02-2005, 08:12 PM
That's a bit of a personal question to ask a lady isn't it - what kind of sag I have :laugh: Seriously though I'm hoping to get the rears done one late night next week if I can talk grandma into keeping Em for a bit longer :rolleyes5 I'll take some pics of "my sag" and post them up :)

I've caught the wheel arch twice now in 48 hours :rolleyes5 :$ and Marcus has scraped my bottom on the drive out of work. I'm just hoping that when the backs are done the front lifts up a little and that the exhaust doesn't bottom out on the speed humps. The test will be when we go on holiday 4 up with a bootfull of luggage. I'll have to put grandma and Emily on a diet before we go :laugh:

Kenneth
03-02-2005, 08:33 PM
I've caught the wheel arch twice now in 48 hours :rolleyes5 :$ and Marcus has scraped my bottom on the drive out of work. I'm just hoping that when the backs are done the front lifts up a little and that the exhaust doesn't bottom out on the speed humps. The test will be when we go on holiday 4 up with a bootfull of luggage. I'll have to put grandma and Emily on a diet before we go :laugh:

LOL, I hope your bottom is ok ;)

In my experiance, it does help somewhat when the car is leveled off... But I suspect that unless you are just bottoming out on speed humps (and at the front of the car) then you are going to be wincing a fair bit when it comes to speed humps.
You should find it easier getting in and out of driveways without scraping the front with the car leveled off.

Still, the improvement in handling is worth it :-b

My sister once said she didnt see the point, and it would be too much of a hassle to have a lowered car (we were in my car at the time, inching slowly over a speed hump that I know always just scrapes). I didn't say anything to that, but I was thinking about just how empty her life must be to not have realised the true pleasure of driving on lowered performance suspension. :laugh:

RED
03-02-2005, 09:47 PM
Kenneth my bottom is fine thank you - just :$

I am wincing at the moment. Every time I come to a dip in the road etc I keep turning the radio down so I can hear my bottom scrape :laugh:

The things we do for vanity ehh :lipsrseal

Big Ian
07-02-2005, 12:54 AM
well done red, it's nice to see that a woman is capable of anything a man can do.
I wouldn't know where to start with anything mechanical ( Ian does all that), it puts some of us women to shame. I suppose I should start taking an interest if I want to learn to drive, Ian's been trying to encourage me forever!
Anyway it might be fun.

Jacque (Mrs Ian)x

Kieran
07-02-2005, 04:21 PM
...I suppose I should start taking an interest if I want to learn to drive, Ian's been trying to encourage me forever!
Anyway it might be fun.

Jacque (Mrs Ian)x

Hey Jacque - Yes... Learn to drive! Find out what all Ian's fuss over his GLS is about!! :devil5:

RED
07-02-2005, 07:11 PM
well done red, it's nice to see that a woman is capable of anything a man can do.
I wouldn't know where to start with anything mechanical ( Ian does all that), it puts some of us women to shame. I suppose I should start taking an interest if I want to learn to drive, Ian's been trying to encourage me forever!
Anyway it might be fun.

Jacque (Mrs Ian)x

Cheers Jacque

Not quite anything a man can do but I'll have a bash at it :-) It's a case of if you can't beat them join them! Driving is definately fun and I would get Ian to get the L plates stuck on the GLS double quick - then GLS can be changed to
Girls Love Shopping

Kieran
07-02-2005, 07:15 PM
... then GLS can be changed to
Girls Love Shopping

What?!?!?!

Heathen!! How dare you bismirch the holy three letters of GLS! Everyone knows that GLS is short for GLS Power!!! Burn Her! Burn Her!!

RED
07-02-2005, 07:18 PM
What?!?!?!

Heathen!! How dare you bismirch the holy three letters of GLS! Everyone knows that GLS is short for GLS Power!!! Burn Her! Burn Her!!

If I could get my flippin smilies to work there would be lots of little faces laughing at you ;-)

PS I like my "stake" well done :-P

PPS Seeing as though this started with my new suspension - what do you think?:-)

Kieran
07-02-2005, 07:22 PM
Hehe! It's a good job I guess that someone forgot to lock the Smilie cupboard and the 'Off Topic' smile has been nicked! :-)

The car looks good, but fecking low!! Make sure you keep a pot of Waxoyl handy to replace the stuff that keeps being scraped off!!

RED
07-02-2005, 07:25 PM
Hehe! It's a good job I guess that someone forgot to lock the Smilie cupboard and the 'Off Topic' smile has been nicked! :-)

The car looks good, but fecking low!! Make sure you keep a pot of Waxoyl handy to replace the stuff that keeps being scraped off!!

It's alright it's got a few layers of dirt to get through before it reaches waxoyl
:-)

Big Ian
07-02-2005, 11:22 PM
thanks for the advice RED & KEIRAN. I might just get Ian to put the L plates on the gls, on second thoughts maybe not (he'd have heart failure). better just pass my test & get my own (or keep Ians for me & get him a vr4). your cars are all looking great & maybe we'll all get to meet at the national meet. nice speaking to you both, better give Ian his site back now. have fun folks

jacque x