PDA

View Full Version : Missing Bolt,

Colin Wiltshire
26-08-2013, 03:39 PM
I have just had an H-brace fitted, but noticed the car feeling a bit loose, not as tight as it was before. Had a look underneath and found a bolt missing, and a little worried how safe it is to drive, as I have no other transport to get to work.

It's on the rear of the brace, N/s. thinking it might be a sub frame bolt? as the lower arm is attached to another part of this.

Nick Mann
26-08-2013, 05:28 PM
I wouldn't drive it far. And if I had to drive it then it would be short distance and low speed. Can't you get someone to give you a lift back to the garage to recover the missing bolt?

Colin Wiltshire
26-08-2013, 06:05 PM
I wouldn't drive it far. And if I had to drive it then it would be short distance and low speed. Can't you get someone to give you a lift back to the garage to recover the missing bolt?

The garage in question is in Norwich, so not really viable. Wondering if I can get 1 from Mitsubishi, or if any correct sized bolt would do.

Kryton
26-08-2013, 06:14 PM
I'm guessing that I will have one from mine so can send down with the other bits. I can upgrade the courier to am, pre 10.30 or pre 9 aswell to make sure you get it early. What he said is "The original wasn't done up properly and seized in the captive nut, i tried to tighten it up but it snapped" so guessing it might need drilling out before fitting a new one? If you check with Mark he can tell you the best way of sorting :(

exevoowner
26-08-2013, 06:55 PM
ooooheeerrrr misses thats not good

Colin Wiltshire
26-08-2013, 07:12 PM
It's not ideal

Badger_01
26-08-2013, 08:11 PM
Thats a bit like the guy checking my car for WOF, he found the rear p/s drop link was missing a bolt. That would explain the knocking sound when I turned sharply right into driveways lol

Davezj
26-08-2013, 10:17 PM
if the bolt in question is one that had to be removed to fit the H brace then the folloing is somthing i would consider doing.

if it is a snapped bolt the garage knew they snapped it and did not inform you of the poblem this is very bad, get on to the garage that did the work and tell them you are going to watchdog or something like that, to tell them what shoddy work they have done and potential endangered your life knowingly, that is one of the main subframe bolts the chassis.
even if it is not snapped and just missing it means either they did not put it in or they did not tighten it correctly and it has fallen out, then they have still done a shoddy job.

i would be asking for some kind of compensation for the dangerous situation they put you in. i am not talking law suit against them. but make them realise that shoddy work is going to cost them something and hit there pocket, so they might think twice about doing again.

TAR
27-08-2013, 10:24 AM
Thats a bit unfortunate Colin. These bolts can be a problem as they are very tight. The captive nut is also only held by the shape of the hole it sits in and if too much pressure is applied to the bolt to remove it, it can spin the nut. I think that it is far more likely that the bolt is missing and not snapped off in the nut.
You may need a garage to cut a small hole in the chassis leg so the nut can be accessed, it can then be replaced and welded in once the bolt is secured.

:happy: