PDA

View Full Version : Pfl Grill Design Flaw

WillVR4
27-08-2013, 07:31 PM
I noticed tonight while doing some work in the engine bay that there appears to be (in my opinion) a little bit of a design flaw in the pfl Legnum grill. I am sure others have noticed this before. On the grill N/S above the red "VR-4" there is a series of slots (Pic 1), presumably to allow air in to the entrance to the air intake funnel. However the air is not getting to the funnel as the top part of the plastic grill being solid with no holes (Pic 2). Just wondered if anyone has cut a hole here as indicated to let air through. The underside of the bonnet here also seems to be shaped to allow this. Am I missing something obvious that these slots are supposed to be for something else or is this a bit of a design flaw? Apologies if this has been discussed before, I couldn't find anything on it.

64002 64003

Chris.W
27-08-2013, 07:36 PM
That's a fair point bud. Can't say i've ever thought about it or payed it any attention.

Colin Wiltshire
27-08-2013, 07:38 PM
I had never noticed that, however, I do have a F/L, but I no longer have the stock bumper or grill

Davezj
27-08-2013, 07:52 PM
the PFL front grill has that bit cut out, so there is a opening directly above the slots.

are you sure that is a vr4 grill and not a standard lower spec galant grill say from a 2.0L
the VR4 grill has a separate mitsubishi badge raised on a front and not just the diamonds embossed into the plastic. i think the V6 N/A galant has the opening as well.

so in short the grill you have is definately a air blaok and you should modify it.

WillVR4
27-08-2013, 07:59 PM
Thanks Dave, I've had a look at other pfl engine bay pics and noticed others have a series of slots here as you say. A previous owner must have swapped out the grill for a non-VR-4 one. Will cut a slot at the weekend, cheers

W

exevoowner
27-08-2013, 08:43 PM
I will be checking mine too as i dont ever remember mine having slots in it either

Nick Mann
27-08-2013, 10:52 PM
I've seen a few like that. Most do have slots in. I've never known why some haven't.

Davezj
28-08-2013, 01:13 AM
personally i have removed all the slots in the lower slotted section and enlarged the normal hole in the top of the grill to give free flow of air into the snorkle and air box.

i used a power file to open the holes up and it was very easy and still looks factory like.

exevoowner
13-09-2013, 04:53 PM
Have compaired the pfl to a fl grill and there is a big differance is that the fl grills have slots in them were as the pfl only has parts cut out near to the air intake snorkal

Confused
13-09-2013, 05:14 PM
I've got the slots in the underneath of my grill, and this is what the top of it looks like.

exevoowner
13-09-2013, 05:27 PM
Yea on fl there more of a grll type

Davezj
13-09-2013, 06:59 PM
i just cut that middle finger of plastic out on the top, and cut all the slots out on the underside, to give a much more of an open hole for the air to go through.

weather it make any difference i don't know but it make me feel better.

menno3x8g
13-09-2013, 09:09 PM
... but it make me feel better.

And that's why we have a VR-4! Now with holes!!

exevoowner
13-09-2013, 09:38 PM
Does anyone think it would make a differance if there was a scoop between the intake and grill so the air was forced in to the intake ??

Davezj
13-09-2013, 09:41 PM
dstruction costs nothing, lol.
it is putting the pieces back together that costs.
but when you have 2 or 3 spare grills in the shed you can play and throw away, if things go wrong.

WillVR4
25-11-2013, 06:25 PM
Few wee (almost) level holes now drilled...

Atik
25-11-2013, 06:31 PM
Not sure that will really aid in getting any extra air through. At speed, the flat panel acts as a wall and a handful of tiny holes wont work due to the flow of air around that tab.

Davezj
25-11-2013, 06:41 PM
I am with Atik on this, you would be much better off just cutting the entire section out that you have drilled holes in.
To get better air flow to the snorkel.

WillVR4
25-11-2013, 06:42 PM
Oh absolutely but no harm in doing it and cheaper than buying a grill with the holes already there!

Davezj
25-11-2013, 06:54 PM
To be honest you probably wil not notice any difference, as to turbos will be sucking air in the snorkel like crazy when you on boost, it will get dragged in from anywhere it can get it. Basically the path of least resistance. Quite a lot of that will be from within the engine bay unless you seal the snorkel opening to the under side of the bonnet when it is shut so only cold air can get to the snorkel.

You can do this by using closed cell expanding foam tape.
Also the opening in the front of the snorkel is resticed even more by the ridge on the underside of bonnet. With the bonnet closed you only have a slot about 1cm high across the entire snorkel, and the bonnet prop sits in that area when it is closed anyway.
I am surprised the engine breaths at all to be fair.

Davezj
25-11-2013, 07:02 PM
Check out this thread I did a few years ago about the space available under the bonnet.

http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?48045-standard-air-box-clearances-how-much-cold-air-really-gets-to-it&highlight=Snorkel

WillVR4
25-11-2013, 09:55 PM
Cheers for the link :)

Davezj
25-11-2013, 10:04 PM
you can see in the pic with the Key and the metal bar that i have placed it across the pastercine where the bonnet closes to and there is not a lot of room in there.

WillVR4
26-11-2013, 08:39 AM
yeah, though if you take the area across the "slot" the goes to the front of the induction scoop it probably equates to similar feeds on other cars that I have owned. As you say you can't force air in as it gets sucked in, just strange some grills have the path blanked off.

MarkSanne
26-11-2013, 12:29 PM
Nice info Dave! Never saw those pictures of your experiment before, but I'm pretty happy to have an CAI in the VR2 (way down low in the engine bay). Getting unrestricted and cold air in!