PDA

View Full Version : Stone guard

Rima
03-02-2005, 05:32 AM
After a funny incident with parking.. cut a long story short..

Heard a scrape'ng sound, reversed slowly more and more scrape'ng got out and realised that my stone guard had broken its plastic mounts near the middle and was on the ground towards the back.

I did a fix to get it home by rolling into Repco and getting some tape to hook it up.

Question is, what's the best way to mount this back up.. just using small bolts? since the plastic mount holes are stuffed?

I checked another vr4 and noticed this stone guard didn't even exist on his car :) must have lost it a while back haha.

Also noticed a puddle of water, water levels seem fine but had air con all the way home from work, is this just air con you think? - nothing to worry about?

Cheers guys

tig202
03-02-2005, 05:56 AM
The same thing has happened to mine Rima, I used cable ties to re-affix the guard in place after it decided to drag along the ground. THis is only a temp measure as I plan to use self tapping bolts to hold it in place (having served a few years under the bonnets of Mitsy's I have lost all my faith in the long term effectiveness of the genuine guard clips)
The puddle of water matter could be condensation from the air con but it could also be something more sinister.. I would find out where the aircon drain hose exits the bulkhead, leave the aircon running for a wee while and then check for drips from that area.

i3ooyah
04-02-2005, 02:28 AM
y not drill new holes so it wont come off again

& check ur water levels just incase

p1_
07-02-2005, 12:16 AM
cable ties here - damn those kerbs - could also try velcro too.

Kenneth
07-02-2005, 12:47 AM
my stone guard is ripped in half... stupid pos

I 'stitched' it up with cable ties... lol, gotta love cable ties.
Rolled up to my old mans house on saturday, and saw something that looked like 1/2 of my stone guard on the pavement by the drive... sure enough it was mine. the cable ties must have slowly broke until it fell off again.

The whole setup is crap... I am really unimpressed. not only that, with the stone guard there is little to stop serious hits to engine components. one thing that comes to mind is the BOV and oil filter.

I reckon maybe making one out of aluminum or something. Carbon Fiber would be good, but expensive.