PDA

View Full Version : Knocking noise under load

BraindG
09-09-2013, 09:10 AM
My poor baby, another problem has raised its ugly head :sad3:

It appears under load there is a knocking noise which can be felt in passenger foot well, it's louder when in gear and can just about hear it if i knock it out of gear but fades quickly as the speed drops. If i keep revs down to a minimum the noise/knock isn't there and appears to be louder as i go up the revs between 2.5k and 4k.

Reading some threads it suggests it could be clutch release bearing or input shaft bearing, all of this info is pre 2010. (Cam Skill - release bearing (http://www.camskill.co.uk/m22b0s1401p14831/MITSUBISHI_LEGNUM_GALANT_VR4_%28EC5W_EC5A%29_-_SERVICING_PARTS_TUNING_SPARES_and_SERVICE_ACCESSO RIES_-_Clutch_Release_Bearing_-_Pull_Type_-_Mitsubishi_Legnum_VR4_EC5A_EC5W) - input shaft bearing (http://www.camskill.co.uk/m22b0s1401p81862/MITSUBISHI_OE_GENUINE_PARTS_SERVICING_PARTS_TUNING _SPARES_and_SERVICE_ACCESSORIES_-_Input_Shaft_Bearing_-_Mitsubishi_Galant_Legnum_VR4_EC5W_EC5A))

There are no oil leaks and there is enough oil in gearbox,

Although randomly if i turn car right the noise goes away, left and it's back - i will test this again when i go out later, might be a red herring.

Could there be any other reason for such a noise?

Thanks
Barry

Subaru ETA
09-09-2013, 10:17 AM
It's not the exhaust knocking is it?

BraindG
09-09-2013, 10:26 AM
Don't think so Dave, worth a look though but the knocking noise seems to be mostly there under load or light acceleration and is a constant knock, knock, knock rather than a random knock. It doesn't happen going over speed bumps or dips in the road, which if it was exhaust i'd expect to hear then.

elnevio
09-09-2013, 11:00 AM
What condition are the engine mounts in? See if you can see how much clearance there is between the gearbox/transfer box and the north-south cross member.

SEAN-NZ
09-09-2013, 11:29 AM
does it do it when you rev the car in or out of gear, with and without clutch engaged? you might be able to eliminate something if you try that

adaxo
09-09-2013, 11:40 AM
BraindG pop in at some point, I may be able to help with diagnose.

Davezj
09-09-2013, 12:31 PM
does he know where to go adam adaxo

Nick Mann
09-09-2013, 01:21 PM
Is it faster/slower in different gears? Could it be drive shaft related?

BraindG
09-09-2013, 06:51 PM
Well today I drove super calm, never over 1.5k and I never heard the noise - although I did hear a faint grinding noise, goes away on right turns, there going straight or left.

Later today I have it a bit more, going up to 4k in 2nd and 3rd and the knocking noise wasn't there.

I did have a feeling it could be drive shaft but, would that also make a loud knocking noise that can be felt in the cabin?

There are no oil leaks, can't see any contact between cross member and engine, all engine mounts are sound. Revving high and dipping clutch in and out makes no noticeable concerning noises.

Going to shops in a bit, will try a few different things.

Thanks for replies so far guys!

Gly
12-09-2013, 01:30 AM
the only time ive had that exact noise on the same side and you could feel it through the floor, is when i used a large zip tie on the inner cv boot,

the knob on the zip tie was knocking on the sub frame with each rotation of the shaft,

TAR
12-09-2013, 11:04 AM
does the frequency of the knock change with engine speed or car speed?

:happy: