PDA

View Full Version : supercharger on a 6A13TT

Davezj
09-09-2013, 12:14 PM
this is just a concept thought.

has anyone fitted a superchager to a vr4?
it would have to be a centrifugal type like the rotrex ones below, it would be about the size of a C30-64
http://www.tts-performance.co.uk/#!rotrex-c30-supercharger/cur7

it would be as an addition and not as a instead of. if you get a supercharger cheap enough would it be worth it, rather than going for a td04 conversion.

where would you fit it?

could it fit where the expansion tank, power steering resovior is, or at the back by the alternator?

space is probably the limiting factor.

Nick Mann
09-09-2013, 01:24 PM
Are we going back to this thread?:
http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?63136

Davezj
09-09-2013, 01:40 PM
cheers nick, yes it has been discussed before.

i am bored i am recovering from an ACL knee operation so my mind is working overtime.

Nick Mann
09-09-2013, 09:55 PM
No worries dude. That thread was an interesting read which is why I remembered it. Hope you are recovering well!

Davezj
09-09-2013, 10:51 PM
yeh not to bad, i have just read the thread you linked to again and watched the videos as well, and it is a good read,.

and put me off the idea. even if i can get a cheap supercharger. in the reagin of 100hp-200hp for less than £300 delivered.
i am still tempped to buy it but maybe for a different project or resale to maybe a glanza boy.

Adam.Findlay
10-09-2013, 02:47 AM
it would have to be a centrifugal type like the rotrex ones below

Uhh V engines are perfect for the use of roots or screw type blowers.
if anything a centrifugal one would be much more difficult to mount as you have to mount it in such a way where it can be driven by the belt.

A roots/screw type blower could be mounted just like this
http://s354.photobucket.com/user/Cyote1/media/seal/DSCN1077.jpg.html

or in the valley of the V like they do with V8's.

pulling the turbos off an engine to supercharge it is a complete and utter waste of time, unless you keep the turbos on so it is twin (or compound depending on how its setup) charged

and then with the kind of boost levels you can acheive with compound charging would see the stock 6a13tt internals up to or past their capabilitys.

Badger_01
10-09-2013, 06:45 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCocbmg34mQ

Davezj
10-09-2013, 08:24 AM
all the info needed on compound charging is in the linked thread by nick mann.

no this is purely hypathetical,
has anyone put an extra supercharger or turbocharger in parallel with the twin turbos we already have on the car.

my gut feeling would be a turbo would not work very well, but a supercharger would.

SEAN-NZ
10-09-2013, 09:06 AM
i doubt putting a supercharger post turbos would have very good gains as the turbos probably wouldnt be able to supply enough air, happy to be corrected if im wrong though

Adam.Findlay
10-09-2013, 09:15 AM
superchargers are more mechanical compared to turbos with the exception of a centrifugal which I am ignoring as it would be almost impossible to mount on a VR4 without deleting one or many ancillarys such as A/C and P/S
Anyway...
Ignoring efficiencies and other calculations for simplicity
If you have a for examples sake 2:1 compression supercharger it will take 1.0 bar (atmospheric) pressure and double it to 2.0 bar (atmospheric pressure x2 so 1 Bar boost) for a given pulley ratio and engine speed

So, if you have a turbo feeding 1 bar boost (2 bar absolute) into the intake side of that same supercharger it will double it again leaving you with 3 Bar boost (4 Bar absolute)

where as compound charging with a second (or in our case third) turbo can be controlled by three wastegates. one on each of the factory twin turbos, then the outlet exhaust gasses of the stock twins, AND their wastegate gas collect together and feed into the secondary bigger turbo, this way the big turbo still sees full exhaust gas flow from the engine so the only detriment to its spool will be the exhaust gas cooling between the valve and the secondary turbo and therefore loosing velocity.

The secondary turbo is again controlled by a wastegate which can be electronically controlled to limit or raise the boost.

Either way they are both complex soloutions
the "twin charged" way seems like the easier way to do it to me. just use a Eaton M90 supercharger which is a roots type blower with the intake in the back of the body.
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y194/89gti16v/stuff%20for%20sale/_MG_8901.jpg
This will let you blow boost into the back of it from the stock twin turbos as the intake of the supercharger will be on the flywheel end of the motor much like this

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb251/RhysDaFool/DANNIELLES%20MAGNA/IMG_0867.jpg

then connect the pulley to an ancillary belt with a bit of tensioner and bracket trickery. the hardest part will be getting a intake manifold made to sit between the V so the supercharger could bolt on and supply air to all 6 cylinders evenly.

compound charging with a 3rd turbo the 3rd turbo will have to be mounted ontop of the gearbox to fit, which means that the stock turbos are around the wrong way, as the exhaust housings of the td03's face the cambelt end, so you would have to either have a pipe off each turbine housing which does a full 180 and heads back the other way to the big secondary turbo. Or make custom manifolds to flip the turbos 180 so the exhaust housings are facing the right way, but then how do you get air into the front of them as The MAF needs to meter air for both turbos!
and either way you still need to then find somewhere to jam in a downpipe off the back of the secondary turbo.

LONG story short. just buy two used TD04L or TD04HL turbos and put 19t compressor housings and wheels on to them and fit them on to your 6a, no twin charging, no compound charging. super simple and a pair of 19t td04's will blow enough air to make 600hp+ which is more than enough to blow the pants off a stock 6a13 bottom end or give you serious driveline issues.

Adam.Findlay
10-09-2013, 09:18 AM
i doubt putting a supercharger post turbos would have very good gains as the turbos probably wouldnt be able to supply enough air, happy to be corrected if im wrong though

yep correct. stock turbos are the limiting factor. raising the pressure with a supercharger will mainly just add heat. not flow.
as I said, best to just slap some big ol TD04's on and go for gold

Davezj
10-09-2013, 10:30 AM
thanks for your input adam, but i don't think you are understanding what i am suggesting in the hyperthetical world,
i was suggesting, effectively having a tripple parrallel system, 2 turbos and one supercharger all running in parellel.
the supercharger would have its own air pipes from the inlet behind the MAF and to the input of the intercooler.
as you say the supercharger would give say 1 bar of boost and the combined output boost from the stack turbos would give 1 bar, 2 bar total, which is why i awas talking about using a centrifugal supercharger.

as i say this is just hyperthetical and i am try to figure out what would happen if you did it.

Adam.Findlay
10-09-2013, 10:52 AM
thanks for your input adam, but i don't think you are understanding what i am suggesting in the hyperthetical world,
i was suggesting, effectively having a tripple parrallel system, 2 turbos and one supercharger all running in parellel.
the supercharger would have its own air pipes from the inlet behind the MAF and to the input of the intercooler.
as you say the supercharger would give say 1 bar of boost and the combined output boost from the stack turbos would give 1 bar, 2 bar total, which is why i awas talking about using a centrifugal supercharger.

as i say this is just hyperthetical and i am try to figure out what would happen if you did it.

right'o. I just didnt get why you would ask such a quesion if you had no intention of seeing the idea out to some degree.

also 1 bar from a supercharger added to 1 bar from turbos does not give 2 bar. both the turbos and the supercharger will have to push against that same 1 bar of pressure which will be in the plenum. the flow will just increase if you catch my drift

Davezj
10-09-2013, 11:35 AM
ah yes, i think i do.
you will get no more boost as both of the compressors are only capable of compressing on a ratio of 1:2. Just more potential flow as long as there are no other bottle neck in the system.

so can i extrapolate what you have said and produce the following system.

so can i say, if can produce say 1.5bar which mine can at certain conditions with the standard turbos, which is outside there range of efficiency if i used a supercharger as well it would not produce any more boost but it would effectively give more air flow which would possibley make the turbos work less hard to produce that 1.5 bar and bring them back into a more efficient range of operation and give a cooler air charge temp in the inlet manifold, and as the rpm increases the system would be able to hold that level of boost to a much higher rpm, as the system can flow more air.

Adam.Findlay
10-09-2013, 12:10 PM
yes that is right to a certain extent.
the turbos are the bottle neck on our engines so if you are running out of flow with the turbos adding a supercharger, which is not in a compound setup will feed the engine more air. however the turbos will still be pushing that same 1.5 bar so they will still be compressing the air the same ammount and be spinning at the same speed therefore still heating the air up to un-desirable temps.

If you are running a supercharger "in parallel" as you say, if the turbo pressure drops, which it will as the stock td03's can only support ~1 bar to redline. the pressure of the whole system will drop. if the system was to maintain a constant 1.5 bar pressure as the rpm rises, the supercharger pressure would have to rise at the same rate the turbo pressure drops in correlation with rpm. and this is not possible as superchargers cannot accelerate faster than the crankshaft as they are driven off the crankshaft at a set ratio.. Follow?

also 1.5 bar would be the very upper most limit I would ever run a stock bottom end 6a13 to and even then you are running a decent risk of bending a rod, not to mention the detonation issues you would have.
I would say the intake temps at 1.5bar would be so high with td03's regardless of supercharger or not you would probably have to wind out so much timing to avoid detonation it would probably make the car slower

the stock turbos can only flow what they can flow. supplementing them with a supercharger will increase flow but its not going to make life easier for the wee TD03's they still have to fight the same back pressure from the plenum.
this is why compound charging is a better solution as you can run the turbos at a much lower boost pressure, feed that low pressure boost into the supercharger and then let the supercharger "multiply" the pressure that is fed into it. however is is quite uncommon on mass manufactured cars as it is complex to implement and service.
not to mention if the supercharger is a big step up in pressure from inlet to outlet, a small variation in inlet pressure, ie boost spikes. will give a huge variation in outlet pressures.

Hence why I said earlier that a pair of TD04's isa much better option, It will remove the bottleneck of the stock td03s whilst proving more air to the engine without the need for a supercharger.

TL;DR supercharging whilst retaining the stock turbos, although different and i guess cool. would be expensive and not much of a gain compared to other options

Davezj
10-09-2013, 01:00 PM
i am with you on this, i follow what you are saying, and that makes sense.

thanks for your perserverance and effort you have put in on the subject, it is most appreciated.

OK heres another thought i was having,
is it possible to swap the compressor housing and compressor wheel from a TD04L subaru turbo and fit it to the CHAR of the TD03 turbos we use.
i know there will be an issue going from a 7G to a 13T compressor with regard spool up, but is this possible and do you know if anyone has done it.

i believe there could be an issue with back pressure due to the larger compressor wheel producing to much flow.
and an issue with the small exhaust turbine actually getting slowed down massively if the compressor wheel is to big.
is 7G to 13T to much of a jump.

Adam.Findlay
10-09-2013, 01:26 PM
Cool thats good sometimes it can be hard to explain via forums. as you can well understand

the cores (CHRA) of the td03 and td04 are different sizes so its not as easy as just putting the 13t wheel and td04 front cover onto the TD03 core and turbine shaft. you would have to machine out the front TD03 cover to accept the 13t wheel, but it is highly unlikely that the TD03 cover has enough meat in it to go quite that large.
GTO 9B's might be possible but then thats not much of an upgrade.

although im by no means a turbo expert I can imagine just upgrading the compressor side of a turbo will lead to surge problems as it would severly mess with the efficency/flow maps and then you still have the problem of the tiny TD03 exhaust housings and wheels being a restriction.

Davezj
10-09-2013, 02:32 PM
yes that is kind of what i was thinking about, i could not remeber the "surging" word.

i had a suspistion that it might be a machining issue to fit the compressor wheel, i was looking at a turbo upgrade video for a TD04L 13T to a 19T, and the company doing it had machined the commpressor wheel to fit the original CHAR and housing of the TD04L, i presume this would impact the overall upgrade preformance but still be an upgrade.

this is the video for the compressor wheel modification from ARD.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTOjEBaRUc0

Adam.Findlay
10-09-2013, 02:52 PM
CHAR

CHRA
Center Housing Rotating Assembly just FYI

if you have td04l/hl's you can buy the new 19t wheels and compressor housings.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Turbo-Compressor-kit-Upgrade-SUBARU-TD04L-13T-to-19T-/290966180754?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item43beef9392&vxp=mtr
this means its just a matter of bolting the new 19t wheel on sending it away to get balanced then putting the new compressor cover on. no machining needed.

or if you buy some cheap 2nd hand td04's you can buy this kit

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Turbo-Compressor-Upgrade-kit-Mitsubishi-TD04H-04HL-19T-/281156516009?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item41763bf8a9&vxp=mtr

which is the same as above but includes the rebuild kit.

cheap as chips, for ~350USD for 2x kits + cost of the second hand turbos (which in NZ you can pick up for ~100NZD each) that will give you turbos capable of up to and over 600hp

Davezj
10-09-2013, 03:54 PM
cheers adam,

yes the a pair of turbos TD04L can be bought cheap, but it si all the fabrication that is going to be the pair in the backside.

i know i am try to get the unobtainable, a bolt on upgrade, but you can't blame me for trying.

elnevio
10-09-2013, 04:40 PM
Get well soon, Dave.

Like, VERY soon! :rolleyes4 :P

SEAN-NZ
10-09-2013, 09:27 PM
just put a big ass turbo before the stock ones :) wont have lag till 5k and you wont lose power by 6k lol

Kenneth
10-09-2013, 09:35 PM
Running a supercharger (positive displacement one, I assume that is what we are talking about) in parallel with turbo(s) would pretty much ruin the benefits of running the supercharger.

The major benefit of a positive displacement supercharger is that it displaces a fixed amount of air per revolution. So if you have it setup to run 1 bar of boost, it does it throughout a very large portion of the RPM range (assuming you have the correct size supercharger)

As such, you need the outlet of the SC to the inlet valves on the head to be sealed when making boost. Because a turbo doesn't generate a flat pressure, at low boost it would either not flow anything and surge, or cause the SC to provide less boost than it should.

The "twin charged" GTO link is total crap in my opinion. It is obvious from the footage that the SC is incorrectly sized for the application. The fact that the outlet temps were so high is a sure indication that it was being pushed way too hard. The way it chewed through belts also.

Davezj
10-09-2013, 09:47 PM
Just thought i would share this table with you, just click on the "ARD Wheel application list" at the bottom of the page. it contains a comprehensive list of turbos compressor wheel, size, CHRA part number, manufacturer, etc.

https://ardideas.3dcartstores.com/Billet-Wheels_c_134.html

Davezj
10-09-2013, 10:00 PM
Get well soon, Dave.

Like, VERY soon! :rolleyes4 :P

Oh, Oh, Oh Nev, idle bodies and active minds are dangerous.

probably another week and a half before i go back to work.

Davezj
10-09-2013, 10:25 PM
from the table on the ARD site it seems that our stack compressor 7T (superback) is 44mm diameter and the 13T is 56mm diameter so the stack CHRA wold have to be machined out to get the tD04L housing and 13T wheel to fit.
which is not unexpected but still a pain.

i will have to see if i can have a look at one of spare turbos to see what would have to be machined out, and how complex it would be.

Davezj
10-09-2013, 11:05 PM
i have done a little bit of hunting around some of the pictures i have and it seems doable.
it looks like it is only the recess in the CHRA that needs to be enlarged to allow the larger compressor wheel to fit flush.

the next question is would the td04 compressure housing actuall fit the TD03 CHRA. basically is the hole in the back of the TD04 compressor housing the same size as the hole in the back of the TD03 compressor housing.
i don't know.
i could always just buy a TD04 turbo to find out, they seem to sell for peanuts.

Nick Mann
11-09-2013, 06:43 AM
I am pretty sure that the td04 is bigger in every dimension. I don't think that you can bolt on a bigger compressor

wintertidenz
11-09-2013, 08:00 AM
The TD04 housings and TD03 housings are completely different in size, the TD04 CHRA will not fit the TD03 exhaust/compressor housings, and vice versa.
I'll post up some comparisons later on this evening when I get my TD03 split.

wintertidenz
11-09-2013, 09:39 AM
Here you go. This comparison is of a TD04-13G, which is a small to mid size TD04. The 19T's are quite a bit bigger IIRC.

Exhaust wheels side by side:

Compressor wheels pretty much side by side - yes the TD04 wheel is actually sitting on the wastegate actuator:

Compressor wheel up against the inlet of the TD03.

Inlet housing differences:

Exhaust side differences - the TD03 actually sits inside the lip of the TD04 housing:

And side by side.

Adam.Findlay
11-09-2013, 10:16 AM
the cores (CHRA) of the td03 and td04 are different sizes so its not as easy as just putting the 13t wheel and td04 front cover onto the TD03 core and turbine shaft. you would have to machine out the front TD03 cover to accept the 13t wheel, but it is highly unlikely that the TD03 cover has enough meat in it to go quite that large.
GTO 9B's might be possible but then thats not much of an upgrade.

Here you go. This comparison is of a TD04-13G, which is a small to mid size TD04. The 19T's are quite a bit bigger IIRC.

Exhaust wheels side by side:

Compressor wheels pretty much side by side - yes the TD04 wheel is actually sitting on the wastegate actuator:

Compressor wheel up against the inlet of the TD03.

Inlet housing differences:

Exhaust side differences - the TD03 actually sits inside the lip of the TD04 housing:

And side by side.

proving the point with pictures. Cheers

Davezj
11-09-2013, 11:31 AM
The TD04 housings and TD03 housings are completely different in size, the TD04 CHRA will not fit the TD03 exhaust/compressor housings, and vice versa.
I'll post up some comparisons later on this evening when I get my TD03 split.

@winteridenz do you have any pics of the CHRA side of the compressor housings of the TD03-7T and TD04-13G just so i can see the size difference in the CHRA openning. this is the one i would be most interested in.
is the compressor wheel you have in the picutres, is it the 13G or 19T?

it would be most appreciated.

wintertidenz
11-09-2013, 12:29 PM
It is a bit of a mission to split the compressor side as the circlip is usually seized or extremely hard to budge - I have broken two sets of circlip pliers just opening the TD04s.
There is also an o-ring there that I would rather not risk damaging.

I believe that the size of the compressor wheel against the opening of the TD03 should show you the size difference - there just simply is nowhere near enough material to fit it in. In addition to that, the compressor wheel itself is bigger than the opening - even if you did manage to fit it in, you would severely limit the compressor side with the inlet of the smaller housing.

The exhaust and intake wheels are very similar sizes so this may help with your comparison.

The TD04 compressor wheel is a 13G - the 19T is bigger.

Davezj
11-09-2013, 01:38 PM
any chance you could measure the hole size in the back of the the TD04 compressor housing on the CHRA side that the compressor wheel goes into, then i can compare it to one of my spare turbos which is going to have to stripped down anyway.
i just want confromation or not that the TD04 compressor housing will not fit a TD03 CHRA as it is not the size of the compressor wheel that determins the size of that hole, but the diameter of the flange on the CHRA.

wintertidenz
11-09-2013, 11:01 PM
There is no way that a TD04 CHRA will fit in. The entire intake housing for the TD03 is smaller than the CHRA for the TD04.

I don't have them in front of me but I am happy to measure them tonight. However as shown in the pictures a TD04 exhaust and inlet side are significantly larger.

Davezj
12-09-2013, 12:23 AM
a measurement would be very useful, and appreciated.

wintertidenz
12-09-2013, 07:02 AM
Exhaust side TD03 wheel.

Exhaust side TD04-13G.

Exhaust housing TD03.

Exhaust housing TD04.

Compressor housing TD04.

The TD04 inlet is large enough to actually encase the TD03's inlet - if it could go much further in it would swallow the rest of the TD03 inlet.

The centre cartridge housings - TD03 on left, TD04 on right. The TD04 is noticeably larger.

Davezj
12-09-2013, 12:15 PM
thanks very much for the additional pics and measurements, that is brilliant.

you can see from the final pic that the CHRA entry into the compressor is much larger in the TD04 than the TD03 which is a shame, but is the conformation i needed, and i don't need to buy a old TD04 to see for myself.
so thanks again for the pics and measurements.
this help is over and above the help i was expecting, thanks again, to both Daniel and adam for the input to this thread. rep comming your way.

Outreach
04-12-2013, 09:54 PM
just incase your still working on that idea65658

top is a stock gto TD-04 and the botton is a set of 19Ts the custom sets with Hl wheels etc actually require the inlet to be hacked off and a larger one welded on because the wheel is larger then the stock inlet can be bored out to.

also the triple charge idea has been done in the 3s community and was proven to make less power then just the twins alone because once the turbos are spooled the super charger can not supply enough air and becomes a bottleneck much worse then the small turbos are.