PDA

View Full Version : Bolts on Cat

Badger_01
12-09-2013, 12:02 AM
How do I get those two nuts off the threaded bolts?

Chris.W
12-09-2013, 12:49 AM
Without trying to sound funny, a spanner or a socket set. Sorry, couldn't resist.

I assume you have tryed this and they are not moving? I was lucky enough that mine came off using a 2' breaker bar and a socket. Have you tryed an impact socket or putting a ring spanner on it and giving it a good onld skelp with a hammer?

Failing that, the application of heat is always handy. Oxy/asetoline (gas axe) would be preferable, heating it until it is cherry red then wind the bad boy off. Butane blowtorch might get it hot enough.

wintertidenz
12-09-2013, 02:20 AM
Give them a good soak in WD40 for a few days and then use a breaker bar or rattle gun on them.

Alternatively heat could help but if they are rusted up they may shear off no matter what...

SEAN-NZ
12-09-2013, 02:46 AM
on mine i had to grind the nut off the drill holes where the studs where, bitch of a job

scott.mohekey
12-09-2013, 05:09 AM
When I last took the two nuts off my cat, I got the vet to do it.

Ryan
12-09-2013, 06:38 AM

/Ryan likes this.

Badger_01
12-09-2013, 07:02 AM

Heh nice :P

Yeah Im thinking I might cut the bugger off lol

elnevio
12-09-2013, 11:42 AM
Heh nice :P

Yeah Im thinking I might cut the bugger off lol

Make sure you don't cut the cat off and keep the nuts. That's definitely the wrong way round! :D

Davezj
12-09-2013, 01:41 PM
persoally i would just cut my nuts off. lol

then move the exhaust to allow the cat to come off the car.

then grind the remaining studs off and drill them out, then you can use whatever bolts and nuts you like to refit it, i used stainless steel nuts and bolts, but used a sping washer on each end of the bolt to keep them tight.

well this what i did and never looked back, it is so easy to remove the decat and refit the cat and vice versa.

this is what i did on my old VR4

SEAN-NZ
12-09-2013, 01:53 PM
persoally i would just cut my nuts off. lol

then move the exhaust to allow the cat to come off the car.

then grind the remaining studs off and drill them out, then you can use whatever bolts and nuts you like to refit it, i used stainless steel nuts and bolts, but used a sping washer on each end of the bolt to keep them tight.

well this what i did and never looked back, it is so easy to remove the decat and refit the cat and vice versa.

this is what i did on my old VR4

just dont be an idiot like me and get bolts that are to small and then snap one