PDA

View Full Version : Poly engine mounts

SEAN-NZ
13-09-2013, 05:31 AM
just had car through wof and one of the things it failed on was drivers side engine mount, as its probably so expensive to get a new mount, i was thinking about the poly mounts, couldnt seem to find much of the info i wanted on them, i looked at these inserts http://www.energysuspensionparts.com/proddetail.asp?prod=Prothane_PackageDeal001 is there any install issues i should know about? is there any guides on this that i managed to miss? is there a difference between manual and auto inserts? and i think i remember reading about the rear roll stopper being a pita to get out and in, i think thats all my questions, i know im asking a lot here, just want to cover everything, i dont like surprises like things not fitting or just not working the way i want/expect

wintertidenz
13-09-2013, 09:10 AM
You want the mount set for an Eclipse (V6?), but a different one for the front as it's too big. Prothane mount number 13-505 for the front IIRC.

Ideally you should do all of them at once (I made the mistake of not doing the front one and it started to fail after 2 years, it was new at the time).
The immediate benefit of the poly mounts is less engine movement and crisper acceleration response, at the cost of a bit more vibration under idle (personally I've never noticed a difference).

You can cut the old mounts out yourself with a hacksaw and then push the new ones in, but it is really easiest to get someone to do it with a press - it's a lot less hassle, tears and anger.
I got a workshop to do all mounts but the front (Mitsubishi in fact!) as it was just too much hassle at the time - cost me $300 for mounts all up, and about 2 hours of labour. I did my front one myself and it was several hours of crushed fingers, lost patience and angry bouncing of the insert... I had to get a friend to push the mount as hard as he could while I worked it in.

Massive thread about it here: http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?35704-Poly-engine-mounts/page16

wintertidenz
13-09-2013, 09:23 AM
Just saw your link - the kit you linked to is for our cars, so no worries there.

SEAN-NZ
13-09-2013, 10:16 AM
so its a lot of effort to get them in? i think my mate has a vice at his, hopefully that will supply enough pressure, dont mind cutting out old inserts, i guess i could take it to a shop for that, and i will be doing them all at the same time, not worried about vibration, its pretty bad as it is, didnt think it was to bad till i drove my mates vr4, could barely tell the car was on if you couldnt hear it, hopefully near mount will make it better, just been to useless/broke to sort everything out

wintertidenz
13-09-2013, 12:27 PM
A vice may help, I don't currently have one so can't tell you.
All my mounts were gone when I got my car, and these made a huge difference.
They last a while too, 50,000km later these mounts are still in perfect shape.

rajvr497
14-09-2013, 11:31 PM
just to be sure,the prothane mount inserts for the v6 eclipse,will all 4 work in the vr4????

wintertidenz
15-09-2013, 04:19 AM
The link that Sean provided is the correct one for our cars - with that combo they have swapped out the front engine mount insert for the correct one.