PDA

View Full Version : Car leaning to side

galantnight
28-09-2013, 06:02 PM
Hi all,
My car has just started to lean to the n/s by about 10mm but more whe it has been driven.
What can it be and how do I check? Have had a look but not jacked the car up, can it be just the spring has got weak? And needs replacing and should I replace in pairs?
Any help would be great

Thanks John

Colin Wiltshire
28-09-2013, 06:20 PM
At a guess, I'd say a spring has broke. You can replace just 1, but the other isn't normally far behind condition wise.

Kryton
28-09-2013, 06:54 PM
fat passenger?

Humpty's Revenge
28-09-2013, 07:14 PM
fat passenger?

Hey I resemble that remark..../Steeringw

galantnight
28-09-2013, 10:26 PM
At a guess, I'd say a spring has broke. You can replace just 1, but the other isn't normally far behind condition wise.

Thanks Colin going to jack car up and have a proper look.

WOODY72
29-09-2013, 07:49 AM
You probably saw it on here John, when I had my mot a few weeks ago, both my front springs were broken. Both top coils and one bottom coil, but I didn't notice it sagging at all, and when the new ones (s/hand) went in, i still didn't notice any difference. Makes my result at Curborough more satisfying! New springs are £137 inc vat.

galantnight
29-09-2013, 01:26 PM
Thanks Graham,just had a look at front and rear N/S springs and they seam to be ok as far as i can tell,nothing broken or bent all seams to normal.
Could it be the N/S spring has just got weak? makeing the car lean ,will take for a drive and see if any better.
In the mean time any other ideas would be great. Thanks

WOODY72
29-09-2013, 02:06 PM
Spring wouldn't go weak just like that I don't reckon John. Very difficult to see when they are broken. The mot man didn't notice the bottom coil broken, came to light when we took the spring out. Put your car on a dead flat surface and measure to the wheel arch lip. Just ran out and measured mine either side, n/side 68cm o/side 67.5cm, but the concrete may not be flat, tyre pressure difference or tread depth variation can all add up I suppose?

galantnight
29-09-2013, 03:53 PM
Thanks Graham will do that

Davezj
29-09-2013, 11:24 PM
another option but not likely to be, is the bottom of the shock has moved downwards in the fork. this would change the ride height if it is not the spring, it should not move, but something might have broken, you will have to measure the shock to fork position on both sides and see if there is a difference.

tyre pressure/slow puncture would be my guess.

scott.mohekey
29-09-2013, 11:35 PM
Do you have a flat tyre? /haz

WOODY72
29-09-2013, 11:45 PM
Thanks Graham will do that

Waiting with interest on your measurements John.

galantnight
01-10-2013, 08:41 PM
Spring wouldn't go weak just like that I don't reckon John. Very difficult to see when they are broken. The mot man didn't notice the bottom coil broken, came to light when we took the spring out. Put your car on a dead flat surface and measure to the wheel arch lip. Just ran out and measured mine either side, n/side 68cm o/side 67.5cm, but the concrete may not be flat, tyre pressure difference or tread depth variation can all add up I suppose?

Hi Graham,
Just been out in car for a run,before driveing measured and it was 64cm at the front and 65cm at the rear this was after it has been jacked up,when i got back measured again and 63cm front and 64 rearer.
Also checked tyre pressures and they were all ok.
So it seems to be ok will keep checking on it and will let you know if there is any change.
Many thanks for your and everybody else input.

Davezj
02-10-2013, 01:40 PM
surely you want to measure left side to rigt side if the car is leaning over not front and rear on one side.

or am i missing something.

WOODY72
02-10-2013, 06:15 PM
Dead right Dave, I never spotted that! Just checked my post to make sure I didn't cock up!